Creating The Bronze Age mod

Sebastián Gómez

I recently created some building for a future MOD which won't include any of the current civilizations.

One of these buildings is a large Minoan palace which will act as a civic center. So I was wondering what would be the best way to start testing them. Is it possible to test them as a new civ or should I use one of the current civs as starting point and just replace its building meshes with mines? 

These are my first steps into the moding area. I'd appreciate any help.

Edited by Basshunter
  • Like 4

if want just to test the building as an actor and no need to check yet the template you can just make a new folder of the civ with the actor, otherwise the better would be take the templates of one civilization like the one you are doing and make it properly with the new civ prefix (maybe mino_) and replace the actors on the road.

21 minutes ago, Basshunter said:

We got you buddy :)

As Alexandermb said you can either hack it or do it properly work by dropping the mesh in binaries/data/your/mod/meshes/yourmesh.dae (Be careful for some reason capital extensions ex DAE do not work)adding an actor file in binaries/data/your/mod/art/actors

If you haven't done so already please look at 

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Modding_Guide

I already tried my buildings as actors in the Scenario Editor.

Now I'd like to give a step further and start creating my new civ so I can try the buildings in a real gameplay. What would be the correct way to achieve this?

Is there any tutorial covering the creation of a new civ? I don't want to feel I'm bothering you guys with questions that probably have already been answered.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Basshunter

21 minutes ago, Stan` said:

(Be careful for some reason capital extensions ex DAE do not work)

Probably would work on Windows since its filesystem isn't case sensitive. I once made a webpage where some of the image file extensions were uppercase and some were lowercase. Worked fine on Windows, but on Linux it failed to load images with file extensions of mismatched case.

5 minutes ago, Basshunter said:

I already tried my buildings as actors in the Scenario Editor.

Now I'd like to give a step further and start creating my new civ so I can try the buildings in a real gameplay. What would be the correct way to achieve this?

Is there any tutorial covering the creation of a new civ? I don't want to feel I'm bothering you guys with questions that probably have already been answered.

Thanks for your time.

You are not bothering me at least :) I'm glad to see you haven't given up on the game :)

The aristeia mod has minoans so you might want to see how it's done otherwise there are some standalone civs in 0admods https://github.com/0ADMods

For your civ you will need a civ.json file that will define a number of things like the name the default replacement entities the civ history etc

That would go in simulation/data/civs/

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

Probably would work on Windows since its filesystem isn't case sensitive. I once made a webpage where some of the image file extensions were uppercase and some were lowercase. Worked fine on Windows, but on Linux it failed to load images with file extensions of mismatched case.

Well it doesn't i guess it crashes for some obscure other reasons 

1 hour ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

I think It won't. If I remember correctly, the last time I used DAE instead of dae, meshes were not recognized. So I think I'll follow Stan advice.

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

You are not bothering me at least :) I'm glad to see you haven't given up on the game :)

The aristeia mod has minoans so you might want to see how it's done otherwise there are some standalone civs in 0admods https://github.com/0ADMods

For your civ you will need a civ.json file that will define a number of things like the name the default replacement entities the civ history etc

Thanks buddy. Well I kinda gave up on Vanilla. That's why I'm experimenting with my own MOD. 

I'll take a look at Aristeia and also check the standalone civ link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2019 at 11:40 AM, Alexandermb said:

otherwise the better would be take the templates of one civilization like the one you are doing and make it properly with the new civ prefix (maybe mino_) and replace the actors on the road.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:30 PM, Stan` said:

Hey guys, I successfully managed to create my new civ template!

Now I'm trying to set up my starting buildings and units. I'm using Spartans from the SVN as my reference for folder structure and stuff. However, I noted that there are two XML files for civic center in the structures folder.

Can I ask you why is it and which one should I use as a base template for setting up my starting civic center?

Spoiler

Screenshot.jpg

Edited by Basshunter

1 minute ago, Stan` said:

Hey as you probably know the game only supports one texture set per mesh, and per actor. In this case @LordGood wanted to have two different ones so he made two actors.

In general one will be fine :) So any of those is good :)

I've found what he mention, there are two actors "civic_centre" and "civic_center"  and in the simulation they are called "civil_centre" what would be the proper name for all? thats a TODO for fix.

5 hours ago, Basshunter said:

I think It won't. If I remember correctly, the last time I used DAE instead of dae, meshes were not recognized. So I think I'll follow Stan advice.

If the code is doing an actual case-sensitive string check for the file name, then it wouldn't work on any system without an exact match. If it's a simple file loading, then it should work on Windows even with a case mismatch. If Stan says it doesn't work with mismatched case file extensions, then it's very possibly the former situation. I agree with following Stan's advice though. He's looked at more of the code than I have. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Basshunter said:

I recently created some building for a future MOD which won't include any of the current civilizations.

One of these buildings is a large Minoan palace which will act as a civic center. So I was wondering what would be the best way to start testing them. Is it possible to test them as a new civ or should I use one of the current civs as starting point and just replace its building meshes with mines? 

Thank you for your interest do not forget to look at this series 

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

I've found what he mention, there are two actors "civic_centre" and "civic_center"  and in the simulation they are called "civil_centre" what would be the proper name for all? thats a TODO for fix.

One is the current model, and the other is the original Spartan civic center model. As it is a quite nicely done model, it'd be great if it was kept in the game. Probably best to rename the actor to civic_center_2 or something instead of civic_centre. 

screenshot0217.jpg

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

You need to add a DELETED file like this

https://github.com/0ADMods/millenniumad/tree/master/gui/pregame

Don't forget to add some text in it (will be useful when packaging you mod) usually just the name of the file, it doesn't really matter.

Worked like a charm!:ok:

Edited by Basshunter
  • Like 2

Hey guys.

When creating one of my new civs I noted that whenever the file "achaeans_civil_centre.xml" located in simulation\templates\structures is renamed to "achaeans_civic_center.xml" or "achaeans_cc.xml", the game shows the next error:

image.png.f6cbcb8b6f1c2bdf7400ecd63036fd7d.png

I can't figure out which XML or JSON file is requiring this "achaeans_civil_centre.xml". I haven't been able to find that name in any line of the other XMLs or JSONs from this civ.

By the way, the reason why I want to change the name to "achaeans_civic_center.xml" or "achaeans_cc.xml" is to maintain consistency across all my files.

Edited by Basshunter

11 hours ago, Basshunter said:

Hey guys.

When creating one of my new civs I noted that whenever the file "achaeans_civil_centre.xml" located in simulation\templates\structures is renamed to "achaeans_civic_center.xml" or "achaeans_cc.xml", the game shows the next error:

image.png.f6cbcb8b6f1c2bdf7400ecd63036fd7d.png

I can't figure out which XML or JSON file is requiring this "achaeans_civil_centre.xml". I haven't been able to find that name in any line of the other XMLs or JSONs from this civ.

By the way, the reason why I want to change the name to "achaeans_civic_center.xml" or "achaeans_cc.xml" is to maintain consistency across all my files.

The simulation template file name ought to be `{civ}_civil_centre.xml` for all civs; the `{civ}` part is then replaced with the civ code, e.g. `athen_civil_centre.xml`, not `athenians_civil_centre.xml`.

You can give your template another name (`achaeans_cc.xml` or whatever), but then you also need to add a tiny template (`acha_civil_centre.xml` or whatever) to load it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Entity parent="structures/achaeans_cc"/>

to ensure the AI, maps, units etc. can handle it.

This is also what I did in my mod ( https://github.com/0abc/0abc-a23/tree/master/simulation/templates/structures ), where I moved templates into individual `{civ}/` folders, to make things more manageable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

I wasn't sure it was possible but I think that's nice.

It required moving a lot of files and fixing some paths in the AI files, but nothing complicated.

Having separate {civ} folders becomes more imperative when more content is added; e.g. https://github.com/JustusAvramenko/delenda_est/tree/master/simulation/templates/units : “Sorry, we had to truncate this directory to 1,000 files. 198 entries were omitted from the list.”