Sign in to follow this  
daggotry

Why In Your Opinion 0A.D. Died?

I tried single-player first and it was okay experience.

Then I tried multi-player and i realized that only players out of 30 people who are online are either:

1. AFK.
  2. Very new, not bored yet. This doesn't take long.
  3. Veterans who play games for years and for some reason didn't leave. But they often create a room and leave even when its full cuz they realise that game is not doing it for them anymore.

Why in your opinion 0A.D. died?

• Like 1

Mannn don't get me started. I have tried to like this game, I have tried so hard but I get bored of it too quickly.  The AI is so buggy and the pathing in the game is terrible. Then when you get over 200 units the game is unplayable and it lags so bad. I have never had this issue with aoe where you can get a pop of 500...this game O A.D is just poorly made. I will probably get this post deleted or blocked by an admin due to me speaking the truth, but someone needs too. 

1 minute ago, ethanray94 said:

Mannn don't get me started. I have tried to like this game, I have tried so hard but I get bored of it too quickly.  The AI is so buggy and the pathing in the game is terrible. Then when you get over 200 units the game is unplayable and it lags so bad. I have never had this issue with aoe where you can get a pop of 500...this game O A.D is just poorly made. I will probably get this post deleted or blocked by an admin due to me speaking the truth, but someone needs too. 

Nah i didnt have many lags on 4v4 on 200unit/player limit with me as host. get better computer and net. Thought i have to admit there is perfomance issue but IMO its not what caused death of 0A.D.

Edited by daggotry

You would also think this game is getting updated all the time due to all the updates on threats, however, thats not the case. Most of it is copy and paste pictures from Google and "art" which adding that isn't going to make the game less laggy or better. 

Then play that game and quit playing "Dog in the Manger" here every post that I have seen from you is negative with no constructive input just more AOE spam.

Enjoy the Choice :)

• Like 1

devs are lazy dont to updat their game

And they dont want experts to do the balance for them

Edited by abc1

Updates
On the right-hand side of 0 A.D.'s Main Page, you can see what kind of updates the SVN version is getting. So on the Updating Side, it's not dead.

Buggy Game
Yep. I can point out several complaints because of this Alpha-version game, and Open Source. I'll just have to trust the devs (who are working on the game at their free-time without getting paid) to put in the work.

The Game Bores Me To Death
"I don't like Fortnite. I get bored of it quickly. Therefore, it's dead."

The Multiplayer Lobby is Dead
This one I would grant as a reason for 0 A.D. being dead. Good thing I can invite my friends to play locally.

Overall, though. I'll point out the Open-Source nature of this project. Either I am a Helper, or a Whiner. I don't have the technical skills to be the Helper, but I don't want to be a Whiner. So I just settle being the next worst thing: A Supporter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, sphyrth said:

Updates
On the right-hand side of 0 A.D.'s Main Page, you can see what kind of updates the SVN version is getting. So on the Updating Side, it's not dead.

Buggy Game
Yep. I can point out several complaints because of this Alpha-version game, and Open Source. I'll just have to trust the devs (who are working on the game at their free-time without getting paid) to put in the work.

The Game Bores Me To Death
"I don't like Fortnite. I get bored of it quickly. Therefore, it's dead."

The Multiplayer Lobby is Dead
This one I would grant as a reason for 0 A.D. being dead. Good thing I can invite my friends to play locally.

Overall, though. I'll point out the Open-Source nature of this project. Either I am a Helper, or a Whiner. I don't have the technical skills to be the Helper, but I don't want to be a Whiner. So I just settle being the next worst thing: A Supporter.

what is this biased post lmao

please stop pretending you didnt get bored of game after few years and 700 posts cause single player can bring about month of entertainment and then u know everything needed to win every game, multiplayer few months max

also its not about gameplay that gets boring after few months cause every game or almost every is like that.

its about why 0ad died

Edited by daggotry

16 hours ago, daggotry said:

what is this biased post lmao

It's responding to your biased OP.

please stop pretending you didnt get bored of game after few years and 700 posts cause single player can bring about month of entertainment and then u know everything needed to win every game, multiplayer few months max

I didn't get bored. Life got in the way; you know, I have to work, feed my folks, pay the bills, etc. I'm actually fortunate enough to have found the time to play again.

I don't really see the point of 700 posts, but I guess you should've at least done the effort of contributing 700+ posts you start complaining, eh? ;)

also its not about gameplay that gets boring after few months cause every game or almost every is like that.

That was a response to one of the commenters, because it's not always about you. But then again, then you shouldn't have argued #2 in your OP.

its about why 0ad died

And I was trying to point out the loaded nature of your question. 0 A.D. didn't die. You have yet to respond to my first point regarding Updates.

• Like 1

Some guys in the lobby are upset because the team doesn't update the game when they want to.

Honestly I don't care about a multiplayer fan base, it's not exactly useful for development if they behave this way.

Here it's not about money, so nothing they can do.

They should go play League of Legend or Fornite. Or some Blizzard game, if they want finished game.

Spoiler

image.png.6bc5fe6973d9fb44a8e526b0a986e4bf.png

The investor will be happy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Some guys in the lobby are upset because the team doesn't update the game when they want to.

Honestly I don't care about a multiplayer fan base, it's not exactly useful for development if they behave this way.

Here it's not about money, so nothing they can do.

They should go play League of Legend or Fornite. Or some Blizzard game, if they want finished game.

Reveal hidden contents

The investor will be happy.

Multiplayer community is just angry when their favorite faction isn't overpowered. Just like happen with any other game.

• Like 2

For whatever it is worth ( probably not much since I'm newly arrived at 0 A.D.) my opinion is that communication (or lack of it) is likely the real reason. 

This thread itself, even just discussing the game and not developing it, would be an example of the "us" and "them" mentality. 

I had tried to start contributing to the code earlier this summer, but I was not made to feel welcome for it. 

Wish this wasn't my opinion, but I'm a really good analyst and this is my take, again, for what it's worth.

Perhaps a better way to state it would be "no teamwork".

5 hours ago, happyconcepts said:

I had tried to start contributing to the code earlier this summer, but I was not made to feel welcome for it. 

Wish this wasn't my opinion, but I'm a really good analyst and this is my take, again, for what it's worth.

Perhaps a better way to state it would be "no teamwork".

Hello,

I believe we had this discussion before, but if I recall correctly all the patches you submitted are currently in the main game development version. So I'm sorry if you had a bad time contributing to the game.

It probably didn't go as fast as you'd expect and indeed even simple patches sometimes linger (ask @Nescio) but we do our best to manage our personal lives and the amount of work we can put in 0 A.D. and the amount of time we can to review patches. I wish every patch in the review queue was reviewed and cleared everyday but it's simply not possible.

I can't let you say there is no teamwork as well and not only because it would basically mean I'm useless. Managing a team that comes to work everyday is not easy. Managing a team that randomly comes to work is even harder.

Contributions make the game live. I know it's hard not to get your hopes up and eventually be disappointed. I worked hard for 6 years to get in the team and it wasn't always fun. But I don't 'work' here because I want fun I 'work' here because I want to make a difference. Because this game is an opportunity not a burden.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2019 at 11:11 PM, Stan` said:

. So I'm sorry if you had a bad time contributing to the game.

Sigh. @Stan` So evident to me from your response that you are not sorry. Are you fooling yourself with these words of yours  too, or just fooling others?

Like I said, the elitist tone of the discussion in the threads speaks volumes about the 0 A.D. "team". At least to me it does.

If you cannot engage or discuss a collaborative, positive newcomer like me, then I do not think you are qualified to lead. Perhaps you should try?

Please?

45 minutes ago, happyconcepts said:

Sigh. @Stan` So evident to me from your response that you are not sorry. Are you fooling yourself with these words of yours  too, or just fooling others?

I am not fooling anyone. I am sincerly sorry that your contribution ended up being a bad experience for you. I have absolutely no reason to lie to make someone feel better on the internet. If you don't believe me there is nothing I can do for you.

Like I said, the elitist tone of the discussion in the threads speaks volumes about the 0 A.D. "team". At least to me it does.

Do you have an example ? It is not so obvious to me.

If you cannot engage or discuss a collaborative, positive newcomer like me

I'm totally open to discussion hence why I answered you in the first place. So please, let's discuss.

I might also point out that @Krinkle, @Freagarach @Bigtiger and @Angen did not seem to have an issue with me. But maybe I'm obnoxious and I have no idea.

Then I do not think you are qualified to lead. Perhaps you should try?

I don't think I ever advertised myself as the leader of this project and I am not its leader.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

I don't think I ever advertised myself as the leader of this project and I am not its leader.

Well then it seems you lead well, if you give this impression! You regularly take charge, communicate well, and remain mostly impartial even in the face of the unreasonable.

• Like 5