Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Alexandermb

===[COMMITTED]=== Aspis Remake

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

@Alexandermb can you upload aspis_spart_lambda_07.png here ? It's the last file missing.

i fixed that last night but internet connection was uploading at BYTES yes bytes :LOL:. so the higher the resolution the more its blurred by antialias?

Can't tell the difference to be honest, looking everything in a little laptop generic screen when i used to have a TV as monitor everything looks tiny.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it's texture filtering not antialiasing but apparently so.

4 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

i fixed that last night but internet connection was uploading at BYTES yes bytes :LOL:.

That changeset didn't work :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stan` said:

I guess it's texture filtering not antialiasing but apparently so.

That changeset didn't work :/

I meant to say, i couldn't upload it. i gave up and start to look youtube (Armies and Tactics: Roman Polybian Legion and Triplex Acies) and see what i can excavenge from there  and started to animate idle poses:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Any thoughts about the shield capes? They are a neat detail, but right now have no animations so look like stiff cardboard attacked to the bottom of the aspides. lol

screenshot0216.thumb.jpg.a528b65a727e414a71d1ddcd1bfc15ff.jpg

I noticed that the previous alphas removed it from the elite hoplite actors. Back when I first played the game, I remember them having that textile attached to their shields.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

I noticed that the previous alphas removed it from the elite hoplite actors. Back when I first played the game, I remember them having that textile attached to their shields.

On the one hand it's a nice detail, on the other it's weird cloth ignores gravity.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Nescio said:

On the one hand it's a nice detail, on the other it's weird cloth ignores gravity.

I wonder how stiff the cloth was at that angle it would be weirdly oriented I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

I meant to say, i couldn't upload it. i gave up and start to look youtube (Armies and Tactics: Roman Polybian Legion and Triplex Acies) and see what i can excavenge from there  and started to animate idle poses:

  Hide contents

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

 

Interesting for scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The remade aspides look great. The arrow curtains (that you so called shield capes) remake would be an interesting addition since it would require to be animated.

Suggest that the Spartan hero shield (Leonidas) to be re-textured to match the statues in Thermopylae and near the city stadium in Sparta:1_leonidas-statue-thermopylae-1.jpg?itokfixedw_large_4x.jpgModern_statue_of_Leonidas_in_Sparta.jpg42850684880_63bab643c6_b.jpg

 

Edited by Carltonus
Reiterating second sentence since it's been discussed in above posts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind those two statues at Thermopylae and Sparta are products of 20 C Greek nationalist propaganda.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dreadlocks would be awesome. 

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

Keep in mind those two statues at Thermopylae and Sparta are products of 20 C Greek nationalist propaganda.

Indeed. I love the design of the gorgon shield* (taken from a vase, right?), but Leonidas' current spiral shield (Apollo sun ray?) is nearly perfect. 

 

*I might get it tattooed on my shoulder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Carltonus said:

@Stan`: other than the lack of snakes and studs on the rim, nice try on the re-texture. Hope someone can do better.

Thanks but I did not do that one (It was Alexandermb  I think) :) you can check all the shields that will be included in A24 here ( some might not be used)

 

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/textures/skins/props/shield

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I love the design of the gorgon shield* (taken from a vase, right?),

The gorgon head is not specific to Leonidas or the Spartans, use of it was widespread in the Greek world, and beyond. Here's a famous 6th C BC shield decorations found and kept in Olympia:

Spoiler

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/OlympiaGorgo_retouched.jpg

12 hours ago, Carltonus said:

studs on the rim

Why should there be studs on the rim?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nescio said:

The gorgon head is not specific to Leonidas or the Spartans, use of it was widespread in the Greek world, and beyond. Here's a famous 6th C BC shield decorations found and kept in Olympia:

I meant that particular gorgon design is from pottery if I'm not mistaken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

I wouldn't say this is enough evidence for the prevalence of studs on that sort of shield, but I did find a piece of pottery that might be a reason to depict them:

Overarm Vs. Underarm Spear in Greek / Spartan Phalanx : Thrand's ...

It's very rare to see. I asked to Alexander he is making shields right now.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2020 at 1:03 PM, Stan` said:

aspis_athen_elite_03.png

After cleaning with new mat and blender 2.81:

Spoiler

aspis_athen_elite_03.png

From 45 minutes of overheatting and high poly to low poly bake. To 13 minutes of direct rendering.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...