===[COMMITTED]=== Aspis Remake

Alexandermb

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

@Alexandermb can you upload aspis_spart_lambda_07.png here ? It's the last file missing.

i fixed that last night but internet connection was uploading at BYTES yes bytes :LOL:. so the higher the resolution the more its blurred by antialias?

Can't tell the difference to be honest, looking everything in a little laptop generic screen when i used to have a TV as monitor everything looks tiny.

• Haha 1

Just now, Stan` said:

I guess it's texture filtering not antialiasing but apparently so.

That changeset didn't work :/

I meant to say, i couldn't upload it. i gave up and start to look youtube (Armies and Tactics: Roman Polybian Legion and Triplex Acies) and see what i can excavenge from there  and started to animate idle poses:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Any thoughts about the shield capes? They are a neat detail, but right now have no animations so look like stiff cardboard attacked to the bottom of the aspides. lol

screenshot0216.thumb.jpg.a528b65a727e414a71d1ddcd1bfc15ff.jpg

I noticed that the previous alphas removed it from the elite hoplite actors. Back when I first played the game, I remember them having that textile attached to their shields.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

I noticed that the previous alphas removed it from the elite hoplite actors. Back when I first played the game, I remember them having that textile attached to their shields.

On the one hand it's a nice detail, on the other it's weird cloth ignores gravity.

• Haha 2

• 7 months later...

The remade aspides look great. The arrow curtains (that you so called shield capes) remake would be an interesting addition since it would require to be animated.

Suggest that the Spartan hero shield (Leonidas) to be re-textured to match the statues in Thermopylae and near the city stadium in Sparta:1_leonidas-statue-thermopylae-1.jpg?itokfixedw_large_4x.jpgModern_statue_of_Leonidas_in_Sparta.jpg42850684880_63bab643c6_b.jpg

Edited by Carltonus
Reiterating second sentence since it's been discussed in above posts

Dreadlocks would be awesome. 

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

Keep in mind those two statues at Thermopylae and Sparta are products of 20 C Greek nationalist propaganda.

Indeed. I love the design of the gorgon shield* (taken from a vase, right?), but Leonidas' current spiral shield (Apollo sun ray?) is nearly perfect. 

*I might get it tattooed on my shoulder. 

5 minutes ago, Carltonus said:

@Stan`: other than the lack of snakes and studs on the rim, nice try on the re-texture. Hope someone can do better.

Thanks but I did not do that one (It was Alexandermb  I think) :) you can check all the shields that will be included in A24 here ( some might not be used)

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/textures/skins/props/shield

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I love the design of the gorgon shield* (taken from a vase, right?),

The gorgon head is not specific to Leonidas or the Spartans, use of it was widespread in the Greek world, and beyond. Here's a famous 6th C BC shield decorations found and kept in Olympia:

Spoiler

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/OlympiaGorgo_retouched.jpg

12 hours ago, Carltonus said:

studs on the rim

Why should there be studs on the rim?

8 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

I wouldn't say this is enough evidence for the prevalence of studs on that sort of shield, but I did find a piece of pottery that might be a reason to depict them:

Overarm Vs. Underarm Spear in Greek / Spartan Phalanx : Thrand's ...

It's very rare to see. I asked to Alexander he is making shields right now.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Thanks 1