===[COMMITTED]=== Aspis Remake

Alexandermb

On 8/9/2019 at 3:01 AM, Alexandermb said:

image.png

Powers of two are presumably easy, and there is nothing wrong with having four or eight semi-circles along the edge of shields; however, keep in mind Hellinistic shield patterns with five, six, or seven semicircles were also quite common; a couple more variants would be nice to have.

Edited by Nescio
ce

7 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Powers of two are presumably easy, and there is nothing wrong with having four or eight semi-circles along the edge of shields; however, keep in mind Hellinistic shield patterns with five, six, or seven semicircles were also quite common; a couple more variants would be nice to have.

Sounds reasonable wouldn't mind adding more variants.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I just noticed how noisy the texture are... that's too bad maybe we could have run them through denoising. Fortunately they look good from the distance :)

Yeah @Lion.Kanzen noted that too, but textures were taking too much to bake so i reduced bake amount time and the cost was some noise, but as himself said too "it looks okay from distance" 

Spoiler

Sacrifice a lil bit of quality for keep the laptop alive.

image.png

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Sorry to say, but the higher resolution shield textures are lost (blur out) due to mipping and anti aliasing. 

8 hours ago, Stan` said:

Pics ?

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'll get you some after work. Lol

screenshot0214.thumb.jpg.be262380e2398000db9f8d0b1d0bb03f.jpg

A major problem is all of the noise/dirt thrown all over everything. Whereas the old shields looked parade-ready, these look like dirt was smeared everywhere and to make it worse, the noise is almost always the same pattern. :) 

Yep. Just some of the patterns need to be bolder, and a lot of the noise/dirt needs removed. You have to be able to see the patterns at standard camera zoom. Right now, it feels like they were made for some kind of Unity-based RPG. ;) Not hating, these are great work. Just offering some opinion for what it's worth. I want the game to look good just like you do. :) 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

Just now, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yep. Just some of the patterns need to be bolder. You have to be able to see them at standard camera zoom. Right now, it feels like they were made for some kind of Unity-based RPG. ;) Not hating, these are great work. Just offering some opinion for what it's worth. I want the game to look good just like you do. :) 

Yes indeed but we talk regulary in private, somethings I mentioned will be remade.

17 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I guess animating them would be nice

Is that old vs new ?

Yeah. Old on the left, new on the right. You can see that the new ones are better artistically, but I would say a lot of the old ones are more "readable" than the newer ones. I think the new ones are largely an improvement, but I think many of them could be tweaked to be better from a gameplay camera viewpoint. Part of the problem I think is that the new ones are also 512x512 which get antialiased quite a bit when zoomed out and the details get lost.

21 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yeah. Old on the left, new on the right. You can see that the new ones are better artistically, but I would say a lot of the old ones are more "readable" than the newer ones. I think the new ones are largely an improvement, but I think many of them could be tweaked to be better from a gameplay camera viewpoint. Part of the problem I think is that the new ones are also 512x512 which get antialiased quite a bit when zoomed out and the details get lost.

Yeah we should resize them down to either 256x256 or 128x128. Probably the former as those shields are quite big about (half the unit without the head) To respect the 'Texel Density' they should be half the texture size of the unit texture. Will probably help with the noise.

• Like 1