===[TASK]=== Crowd Sourced - Illyrians (Faction)

wackyserious

7 hours ago, wackyserious said:

I comprehend that this is a leather vest topped with a disc pectoral armor and at the bottom of it are pteruges right?

Or a thick woven body armor to complement the plated helmet that was made from wicker?

I am more in favor of a leather or linen cuirass with a disc (cardiophylax) for the interpretation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

{
    "genericName": "Piracy",
    "autoResearch": true,
    "description": "The Illyrians are renowned for practicing piracy.",
    "requirements": { "any": [{ "civ": "illyr" }] },
    "icon": "metal_pot.png",
    "tooltip": "Units cost 20% less metal",
    "modifications": [
        { "value": "Cost/Resources/metal", "multiply": 0.8 }
    ],
    "affects": ["Infantry"]
}

Added Piracy technology as a civilization bonus for the Illyrians.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Added Piracy technology as a civilization bonus for the Illyrians.

Nice... Wouldn't it make a little more sense to give them a higher metal loot when killing units, destroying structures or especially when sinking enemy ships? Ooooh, or give them some kind of unique wololooo ability to "convert" enemy ships when they're under a certain health? 

• Like 2

Just now, Sundiata said:

Nice... Wouldn't it make a little more sense to give them a higher metal loot when killing units, destroying structures or especially when sinking enemy ships? Ooooh, or give them some kind of unique wololooo ability to "convert" enemy ships when they're under a certain health? 

When need wololo feature first. Or a properly function.

1 minute ago, Sundiata said:

I am not really that familiar with the templates in the game. :unsure: It was inspired from a technology from Divide et Impera, Promise of Loot which decreases the recruitment cost for the Illyrians in their mod

32 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Got some idea for the hero concept for Bardylis? Should I make him as a cavalry hero?

Arganthonius, king of the Tartessians, lived a hundred and fifty years according to Herodotus the historian [ 1.163 ] and Anacreon the song-writer, but some consider this a fable. Agathocles, tyrant of Sicily, died at ninety, as Demochares and Timaeus tell us. Hieron, tyrant of Syracuse, died of an illness at the age of ninety-two, after having been ruler for seventy years, as Demetrius of Callatis and others say. Ateas, king of the Scythians, fell in battle against Philippus near the river Danube at an age of more than ninety years. Bardylis, king of the Illyrians, is said to have fought on horseback in the war against Philippus in his ninetieth year. Teres, king of the Odrysians, from what Theopompus says, died at ninety-two. 

Text from Lucian of Samosatra. But he is from later epoch.But he recopiled other historian works.

Although this short essay was included in the manuscripts of the collected works of Lucian, it is generally agreed that it cannot have been written by him. Lucian was famous for his wit, and is unlikely to have produced such a dry list of facts. Nevertheless it does contain some valuable information, culled from ancient Greek historians, about men who were famous for their longevity.

http://www.attalus.org/translate/macrobii.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

illyr_hero_bardylis.png

• Generic Name: Bardylis I
  • Specific Name: ???
    • Class: Hero Cavalry Spearman.
    • Hacker Armament: Spear
    • Appearance:
      • Champion: Helmet (Crested Illyrian) Body Armor (Scale Linothorax) Shield (None) Footwear (Boots)

Added Bardylis I as a hero cavalry spearman. I used the 2nd bonus of the Iberian faction hero, Caros as a placeholder hero aura.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2019 at 9:35 PM, wackyserious said:

Keep this up, and we can add Thracians, Illyrians, and Thebans as new mods to mod.io the same time Alpha 24 hits.

https://github.com/JustusAvramenko/theban_greeks

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Thanks 1

That was the goal, to add timeline relevant factions which are not heavily modded and work just as standard game factions. :) I do not want to merge it with Terra Magna at the moment. I find it hard to maintain mod bundles, specially when errors accumulate too much, this also gives players the choice to pick what they only want, and finally it is easier to recognize what the mod does when you see it in a long list of mods. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Keep this up, and we can add Thracians, Illyrians, and Thebans as new mods to mod.io the same time Alpha 24 hits.

Well if @LordGood made his gunpowder mod public, this would get completed 

and @Stan`this https://www.moddb.com/mods/dwarfs  then we will have early Christmas

3 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Added Bardylis I as a hero cavalry spearman. I used the 2nd bonus of the Iberian faction hero, Caros as a placeholder hero aura.

Nice

• Like 1

Just now, wackyserious said:

That was the goal, to add timeline relevant factions which are not heavily modded and work just as standard game factions. :) I do not want to merge it with Terra Magna at the moment. I find it hard to maintain mod bundles, specially when errors accumulate too much, this also gives players the choice to pick what they only want, and finally it is easier to recognize what the mod does when you see it in a long list of mods. :)

I know you and @Alexandermb will make great units, but they'll also need great buildings. @Stan` @LordGood

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

I know many would disagree, but I would see no problem with the core game having 20+ civs. To me, they're like how some games have 50+ characters to choose from, each with minor differences and even classes of play that compliment each other. But I'm also okay with core game just sticking with what it has and then releasing official "Faction mods." But then you have a problem with players not having the right factions installed. Imagine player 1 having mod civs A, B, and K, while his opponent has B, C, and M civs installed. Wouldn't this make them incompatible to play a match? Eventually, you'll probably just want to fold all the civs into the core game to get around this, or build in some kind of logic in the UI that'll gray out the civ that's incompatible with either player.

16 minutes ago, LordGood said:

o have fun with that

Alright then. :) Sorry to bother you.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wackyserious said:

I do not want to merge it with Terra Magna at the moment. I find it hard to maintain mod bundles, specially when errors accumulate too much, this also gives players the choice to pick what they only want, and finally it is easier to recognize what the mod does when you see it in a long list of mods. :)

Yes, I fully agree!

1 hour ago, wackyserious said:

Slowly integrate each to Terra Magna after being finished? This way we do not get incomplete civs in a release which was what we had in Millennium AD back then.

Personally I think it's best to have a separate repository for each civ (including Han China, Xiongnu, and Zapotecs) and improve them against the development version.

Then whenever a new alpha stable is released (apparently less then one per year nowadays) Terra Magna would simply bundle the factions deemed sufficiently finished and that's that. Further improvements would continue to be done in the separate civ repositories.

Edited by Nescio
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
32 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Mmm the wikipedia article is not coherent, in the beginning it is said as belonging to the Enchele territory but further in the page it is said as belonging to the Dassaretae.

A quick glance in Google Scholar gave me this thesis about interactions between Illyrians and Epirotes:

https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-02493973/document

It seems Selca is associated with the ancient city of Pelion. The author notes the uniqueness of the tombs in comparison with other Illyrian tombs and burials, they are closer to the Macedonian kind. Four names are written on the tombs, Μηκος (the architect), Γενθιανὸς, Πλάτορος and Γένθιος. Excepted the first one, the others look Illyrian.

So yeah, it could be a good idea as a wonder.

• Thanks 1