===[TASK]=== Stoa Thureophoroi (Rework)

wackyserious

Are these thorakitai or thureophoroi?

All of them seem to carry a thureos but are heavily equipped, with some even wearing musculata for armor.

These are late hellenistic.

I am currently adding the Illyrian type and Chalcidean type to their helmet prop distribution.

39 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I found another...

image.thumb.png.8cba3746930a0f8aee7631acaf00f072.png

Resultado de imagen para praeneste reliefResultado de imagen para praeneste relief

8 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Are these thorakitai or thureophoroi?

All of them seem to carry a thureos but are heavily equipped, with some even wearing musculata for armor.

These are late hellenistic.

I am currently adding the Illyrian type and Chalcidean type to their helmet prop distribution.

I published about Roman and Hellenistic propaganda, ever they will stylizes their soldeirs in old fashion, so... Can be.

Probably are from Ptolemaic age but... Not from Cleopatra reign. 

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

image.png.82d87f723db93bef1e7c983340ac6e15.png

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/9781119099000.wbabat0050

I would say they are Roman legionaries but with a lot of Hellenistic stuff. Artistic canon? Political representation to represents Marc Anthony as a traitor in love with Greek culture? Or reality (rearmament of the Roman legionaries in Egypt, gift from Cleopatra etc.) ?

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

I would say they are Roman legionaries but with a lot of Hellenistic stuff. Artistic canon? Political representation to represents Marc Anthony as a traitor in love with Greek culture? Or reality (rearmament of the Roman legionaries in Egypt, gift from Cleopatra etc.) ?

They are roman legionaries with thracian helmets look at the quinquereme front crocodiles sculpt

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

Representating probably Romanized Ptolemies (Greeks) as in older times. The artist even Riman try to reprrsent the romans very Hellenized.

In this epoch isnt big deal but later in Imperial Rome,...

Resultado de imagen para column marcus aurelius

Imagen relacionada

Resultado de imagen para Greek style  marcus aurelius fashion soldiers

Antoninus Pius

Resultado de imagen para Constantine arch relief

Constantine (VI AD)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wackyserious said:

This is a thread for the visual rework of the current thureophoroi champion mercenary for the some of the Greek factions.

- Will you change also ptolemaic mercenaries thureophoroi javelinist?

- There was not really clear explanation about the thureophoroi, should it be a "champion", a "mercenary" and so on.

1 minute ago, fatherbushido said:

- Will you change also ptolemaic mercenaries thureophoroi javelinist?

- There was not really clear explanation about the thureophoroi, should it be a "champion", a "mercenary" and so on.

Sorry, this was meant for the Stoa thureophoroi. I'll change it :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is there a concencus on these? Basically I just don't like the redundancy of the thureophoroi in the Spartan roster, but visually I don't like the black cloak, it just looks very out of place.

EDIT: Hehehe. After all this time, I realized I didn't like the Thracian Blackcloack, not the Thureophoroi. I still think having both of them in the Spartan roster is a tad redundant, but thats a balancing issue.

Edited by Phalanx
  • Like 1