Sign in to follow this  
wowgetoffyourcellphone

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey & Titan Quest -- Art Inspiration Thread

So, I just buy both AssCreed: Odyssey and Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition for my "son." Actually for both of us. ;) Anyway, the graphics of these games are incredible, as well as the art direction. They can really provide inspiration for 0 A.D.

Rural horse stable:

2019071205345.thumb.jpg.28298aad9f691e0939cb229186e4c50d.jpg

• Like 2

Apart from the shipsheds they all get a big fat :crash:  as far as I am concerned.

Aesthetically and historically there is so much trash going on in those designs, welcome to Hollywood. (or Bollywood?)

The Greeks would laugh themselves to death if they saw that this is how we imagined their lives and world. So much effort went into this, so many hours and so much money to create the "feel" of Hellas, and it was all completely wasted. What a heap of trash, what an insult to ancient architects, all proportions botched, elements botched, colours botched, statues botched, and so much lousy research.

It looks "cool" and would make a great Disneyland section. 0 A.D. may not look as fancy to you, but for me it is already aesthetically infinitely more beautiful and closer to a "real feel".

Hope you all have fun playing the game though, I jumped through a playthrough at 2x speed. A few model were nice, but 95% trash. It is like the Alexander film epic.

I actually agree with @Anaxandridas ho Skandiates 0 A.D. looks already better in many aspects and that is the result of good research. The buildings in Assassins Creed: Odyssey seem to be out of proportion. The ships look simply boring and uninteresting.

I liked the look of previous Assassins Creeds more.

5 hours ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

Apart from the shipsheds they all get a big fat :crash:  as far as I am concerned.

Aesthetically and historically there is so much trash going on in those designs, welcome to Hollywood. (or Bollywood?)

The Greeks would laugh themselves to death if they saw that this is how we imagined their lives and world. So much effort went into this, so many hours and so much money to create the "feel" of Hellas, and it was all completely wasted. What a heap of trash, what an insult to ancient architects, all proportions botched, elements botched, colours botched, statues botched, and so much lousy research.

It looks "cool" and would make a great Disneyland section. 0 A.D. may not look as fancy to you, but for me it is already aesthetically infinitely more beautiful and closer to a "real feel".

Hope you all have fun playing the game though, I jumped through a playthrough at 2x speed. A few model were nice, but 95% trash. It is like the Alexander film epic.

Jesus...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@wowgetoffyourcellphone yeah sorry man, I loved the last assasin's creed but this new one is just too bad imho, sry

I mean, you've been to the Acropolis and temple of Hephaistos and Agora and all that in Athens, right? Stood in front of the actual ruins? Because I was there, and this cool game is just Aladdin dude :gollum: looks fancy but it's Disney's Aladdin

Edited by Anaxandridas ho Skandiates

Please don't let yourselves be fooled by the really nice 3d, the agora they made is a gypsy camp. "a bit fanciful" is really too nice of you, can only explain it by your justified excitement for the great graphics, but these screens above here, they're just preposterous. See just Lindybeige youtube channel on helen of troy and ironclad and vikings - why for heaven's sake are there torches burning in tripods, holy and super expensive objects? this is just a hollywood cliche, but even IF expensive works of bronze artwork had been used for firewood, WHY for the love of God are they blazing away in burning daylight?

From the colossus head to weird fanciful acropolis and babylon (??) fountains, it is a 3ds max amateur's wet dream, who had a nice engine to render fantastic landscapes on. But the structures are not only subpar they scrape the bottom and 0 A.D. - thanks in part to your own work mind you - is already vastly superior.

Target audience. They couldn’t care less about 100% historical acurracy.

Edited by Guest

10% doesn’t matter in AAA game development. These things have millions of dollars invested. The earlier the returns on investment are, the better. The marginal cost of 100% accuracy may very well exceed the marginal revenue too.

What, your family murdered by tents or something?

Looks nice, was made by very skilled artists working like slaves in some instances. Only thing I’m opposed to here is the milking of AC

• Like 3

Triple-A development has a rather high rate of dev burnout. So called "Rockstar" devs. Ironically, Rockstar Games studios is pretty notorious for treating their devs like slaves.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/27/18761120/video-games-crunch-developers-unionize-mike-morhaime-comments-blizzard-world-of-warcraft.

Crunch,” shorthand for long stretches where salaried developers work well more than 40-hour weeks, has taken on mainstream importance lately as designers and programmers share their experiences with large-scale, blockbuster games. Their tales are often filled with burnout, managerial dysfunction and product failure.

Unfortunately more and more greed, also look at all entertainment, especially mainstream. All a lot of money with little effort or investment.

The more than 40-hour weeks and burnout is something fans of the series can influence the most. If they would protest, the game studios will probably change something.

I just hope, people working on 0 A.D. have a more enjoyable experience. I mean they are volunteers and can stop contributing, but still.

• Like 1

Well, the only pity is that youtube only has x2 speed..

For those who have not had their daily dose of gorgeous graphics engine and disneyland fake hellas with bad bulgarian accents, that make Angelina Jolie's performance in Alexander seem like Juliet Stevenson in Pericles Prince of Tyre 1984