[RESOLVED] The connection was refused by the server

gwelfo

• gwelfo changed the title to The connection was refused by the server
  • 2 years later...

I use Windows 10, Windows Defender Firewall. My router is a AVM router.

I now tried opening the 0ad port in the Windows Firewall Settings and in the router settings.

I still get the message "The connection was refused by the server".

Maybe there is one more thing which I should try...

So you opened the port for pyrogenesis.exe in Windows' firewall? Are there multiple entries for pyrogenesis.exe? If so, please allow connections to all of them to test it. You might later consider ticking them off again, if you feel insecure. I'm speaking about opening everything for 0ad, not just that port.

One more thing you could try if you have a second PC or laptop also with 0ad in your local network (LAN): Can you host from one device and join from the other? Usually, this would trigger a Windows firewall message, asking you if you want to grant access permission (if you have not granted it already before). This would just check connectivity within your LAN.

Finally, please check if your network is set in Windows to private or public, as depending on this, there might be different boxes to tick to grant the pyrogenesis.exe file permission to accept incoming traffic.

Maybe you can also share the exact error message (if any) that comes along with your pproblem.

You can also open the 0ad console (hit the ^° key in the top left corner of your keyboard - at least that's where I have it). There you might see some additional information you could share here.

Edited by Ceres

+1 for sharing the exact error message. Please share a screenshot.

Enable the Windows firewall log, attempt to connect to the lobby server, and look for firewall log entries. Read articles to find out how to do this, and what "private" versus "public" means for a network interface, and what "domain", "private" and "public" mean for a firewall configuration. Each has its own settings. Also check your router and modem firewall logs and configurations.

And, can you even ping lobby.wildfiregames.com? If you can't then you need to troubleshoot that first, and that won't involve changing the 0ad configuration.

Also check the FAQ for the symptoms (e.g. search for "Registering for the Game Lobby does not work:"). Based on discussion in this bug report, TLS protocol above 1.0 isn't supported by the Windows build on certain versions of Windows (XP and 10?). You might need to disable TLS lobby encryption until this is fixed (which will probably be when alpha 26 is released, several months from now).

Edited by dave_k

The error message, "The connection was refused by the server" is returned by the glooxwrapper as -ConnConnectionRefused. If you understand C++ then you can get some ideas of why this might happen. It's returned in 6 places in this file.

https://camaya.net/api/gloox-1.0.24/dns_8cpp_source.html

One thing that I was reminded of after skimming that source module is that you should ensure that your computer has a numeric hostname. I remember reading about this somewhere, maybe in the gloox documentation or a 0ad bug report. On Linux this would involve adding an IP address for your host, including a private IP address (192.168.0.x) and a localhost IP address (127.0.0.1), in /etc/hosts. On Windows the file is in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. Instructions on editing it are here.

Edited by dave_k

14 hours ago, dave_k said:

One thing that I was reminded of after skimming that source module is that you should ensure that your computer has a numeric hostname. I remember reading about this somewhere, maybe in the gloox documentation or a 0ad bug report. On Linux this would involve adding an IP address for your host, including a private IP address (192.168.0.x) and a localhost IP address (127.0.0.1), ...

3 hours ago, Stan` said:

What info?

See above. :)

Hello wald,

Thanks for sharing a screenshot of the error message. Unfortunately, it's not enough information to know how to solve the problem. It will take some exploration into OS networking settings, network configuration, ISP filtering, etc. Please join IRC during US daylight hours and talk to me for troubleshooting advice. In order to join IRC, click "IRC Channel" at the top of the 0 A.D. website.