My army can't log on to the warship.

gameboy

Thanks @gameboy for reporting the issue, which is now fixed. 

5 hours ago, borg- said:

Enjoying topic, Is it possible to increase the garrison range for the ships?? Units need to get very close, this is annoying because it causes lots of "bugs".

Sounds like a good idea, actually.

Animals don't move from foundations.

Chasing after animals (or enemy units) is bugged (they continue to chase the target across the map).

Builders don't always face the foundation.

screenshot0128.jpg

Meh, tried again and the giraffe moved. Seems inconsistent though. I have noticed that if builders have to move off their own targeted foundation, then they stand idle.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

18 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Animals don't move from foundations.

I think that's fixed with D1969.

Chasing after animals (or enemy units) is bugged (they continue to chase the target across the map).

That's not bugged actually... That's just 0 A.D. 's correct behaviour. I'm not sure how svn used to behave there though.

D1970 fixes this issue for good by changing how fleeing works.

Builders don't always face the foundation.

Noticed that, needs to be fixed in unitAI, should be trivial.

Meh, tried again and the giraffe moved. Seems inconsistent though. I have noticed that if builders have to move off their own targeted foundation, then they stand idle.

Likewise I think D1969 fixes that.

--

BTW the animal roaming issue is fixed in D1980.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wraitii said:

That's not bugged actually... That's just 0 A.D. 's correct behaviour. I'm not sure how svn used to behave there though.

D1970 fixes this issue for good by changing how fleeing works.

The old behavior was if the chasing unit got within range, they would perform their action (capture or attack) and it would affect the target. then the chasing unit would chase back to within range and perform their action. Rinse. Repeat. Now, the chasing unit just chases the target across the map and never performs the action beyond the initial contact. This isn't correct behavior. 

I don't think D1970 is "better" behavior than before (at least as described in the D). So, a female will flee to flee distance and then wait to be attacked again? Old behavior was that they would flee as long as the enemy unit was chasing it which seemed to make more sense. Units didn't chase across the map because they were performing their attack whenever they chased to within attack range. Sure, the attacker moved, stopped to attack, moved again, stopped to attack, and looked funny. This worked more or less as it should have though, if a bit clunkily (I would prefer a "Move-Attack" state where units can attack or capture while chasing, which is the real comprehensive solution, but that may be out of scope of the changes you're trying to make). 

Question. No judgment, just curious. Do you play the game? That would certainly give you insight into the unit behavior. Your comments seem to indicate that you don't play the game, or else you would have been familiar with the old behavior.

13 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The old behavior was if the chasing unit got within range, they would perform their action (capture or attack) and it would affect the target. then the chasing unit would chase back to within range and perform their action. Rinse. Repeat. Now, the chasing unit just chases the target across the map and never performs the action beyond the initial contact. This isn't correct behavior. 

That only worked if the chasing unit was faster though, didn't it?

I think the chasing might still not go through this 'in distance' check enough though, that's probably fixable in unitAI rather.

I don't think D1970 is "better" behavior than before (at least as described in the D). So, a female will flee to flee distance and then wait to be attacked again? Old behavior was that they would flee as long as the enemy unit was chasing it which seemed to make more sense.

That would be the new behaviour. It's similar to AoE2 - makes it a bit more micro-managey, but it reduces the issue you describe below.

Units didn't chase across the map because they were performing their attack whenever they chased to within attack range. Sure, the attacker moved, stopped to attack, moved again, stopped to attack, and looked funny. This worked more or less as it should have though, if a bit clunkily.

I guess I see that as _very_ clunky, not "a bit".

(I would prefer a "Move-Attack" state where units can attack or capture while chasing, which is the real comprehensive solution, but that may be out of scope of the changes you're trying to make). 

Very out of scope. We need far better animation support to really make this work. Edit: we could do it for riders with turretts, but for infantry... It could mean making the top-part of the unit a turret of the legs, right now... Which is at best weird.

Question. No judgment, just curious. Do you play the game? That would certainly give you insight into the unit behavior. Your comments seem to indicate that you don't play the game, or else you would have been familiar with the old behavior.

I haven't really played a proper game in forever - never really did to be honest. I used to just watch the AI play. I regularly do test runs, but given that I'm very rarely on clean svn, I don't really have a great feeling for svn behaviour.

On this topic, I would have described it as you do, but since I did have doubts I prefer to ask those that know better.

24 minutes ago, wraitii said:

That only worked if the chasing unit was faster though, didn't it?

If the target was faster, the chasing unit would stop chasing after the target left vision range.

I guess I see that as _very_ clunky, not "a bit".

It's the behavior of units in Age of Mythology, which is probably why I accept it more readily than most. In either option, one or the other unit moves, stops, moves, and stops again ad infinitum until one dies or moves out of range. In the unit behavior of 0 A.D. circa 2 weeks ago, the attacker would move to range, stop to attack (which registers a hit), then chases back to within range again to attack again. It worked to prevent the infinite chase sequence and eventually resolved the chase. Your proposed behavior is that the target moves, stops to be attacked, moves, stops to be attacked, until dead or captured. Either way there's a whole bunch of moving, stopping, and moving again (clunkeriffic). So I guess it doesn't really matter. :) I just thought it would look weird for a fleeing woman or gazelle to just stop and wait to be attacked again unless the enemy had moved from vision range. lol

Very out of scope. We need far better animation support to really make this work. Edit: we could do it for riders with turretts, but for infantry... It could mean making the top-part of the unit a turret of the legs, right now... Which is at best weird.

Does it really need turrets in order to work? It seems at most we need 4 new states (walk-attack, run-attack, walk-capture, run-capture) and 4 animations each for cavalry riders and infantry. But I don't have a programmer's understanding of this issue and could be super off-base.

Just now, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

If the target was faster, the chasing unit would stop chasing after the target left vision range.

I meant equal speed - I don't see how the attacker could catch up then. Maybe that just didn't happen that often.

It's the behavior of units in Age of Mythology, which is probably why I accept it more readily than most. In either option, one or the other unit moves, stops, moves, and stops again ad infinitum until one dies or moves out of range. In the unit behavior of 0 A.D. circa 2 weeks ago, the attacker would move to range, stop to attack (which registers a hit), then chases back to within range again to attack again. It worked to prevent the infinite chase sequence and eventually resolved the chase. Your proposed behavior is that the target moves, stops to be attacked, moves, stops to be attacked, until dead or captured. Either way there's a whole bunch of moving, stopping, and moving again (clunkeriffic). So I guess it doesn't really matter. :) I just thought it would look weird for a fleeing woman or gazelle to just stop and wait to be attacked again unless the enemy had moved from vision range. lol

Well my change makes unit flee not so far away. I guess you're right that they're kind of equivalent overall.

How well should our units flee is a good question. We could make women just go and garrison when they're attacked if we wanted to reduce micromanagements.

Does it really need turrets in order to work? It seems at most we 4 new states (walk-attack, run-attack, walk-capture, run-capture) and 4 animations each for cavalry riders and infantry.

On paper it works like that, but attack speed and walk speed would be synchronised (since we can only have one animation at a time). So that wouldn't look too good unless we were super careful :/ 

Just now, wraitii said:

On paper it works like that, but attack speed and walk speed would be synchronised (since we can only have one animation at a time). So that wouldn't look too good unless we were super careful :/ 

I see what you mean now. Movement technologies, for example, would screw things up since the walk-attack animation would speed up with the walk speed statistic. Workaround? Maybe apply an inverse multiplier to the attack strength in such cases to that DPS stays the same. Just spitballing.

I meant equal speed - I don't see how the attacker could catch up then. Maybe that just didn't happen that often.

You're right, that is an edge case. In that instance you'd micro another unit to flank or ambush the target, or break off the attacker to attack something else. But that was understandable behavior and pretty rare.