Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition

God knows. Two weeks since launch and all we’ve really had update wise is stability fixes and server maintenence.

There are still a number of really annoying bugs which have been in the game since July, that were reported in the Beta forums but haven’t been touched.

No sorely needed balance changes either, such as nerfing the steppe lancers and the new civs in general.

Oh my god... May be i need wait to try or test this game.

Saw that game too.  Not every day you see Viper that far on the back foot.  All said though, it's not surprising with Steppe Lancers.  When Rise of the Rajas came out, Vietnamese were overpowered, and Malay were dominant on water-maps.  Apparently the developers are going to be hitting that unit pretty hard in an upcoming patch.  These are a list of the alleged changes coming up:

Gold cost from 30 to 45

Attack speed lower

Movement speed lower

-2 attack on both normal and elite

These changes will make them only 25 resources cheaper than knights but with two less attack.  Add to that fact that their attack speed was already a bit slower than the knight's, and their movement rate will probably be at least the same as the knight now, and the result should be a good deal less effective.  Time, however, will only tell. 

• Like 1

As the first major update since the game’s release last month, the short answer is: A LOTThe teams have been working hard to improve everything from the stability and performance of the game to balance changes that bring some of the more powerful civilizations in line with the rest of the roster. This (of course) includes some much-needed (and much-requested) love to the Steppe Lancer, which has been a major point of contention over the past month.

This is interesting.

In addition to this, the official 2019 Winter Celebration mod is now available to accompany the event. You can subscribe to the mod to enjoy the following changes:

• All trees are covered in snow and are white.
  • All non-water terrains have patches of snow.
  • All forage/fruit bushes are replaced with piles of presents.
  • All Town Centers have presents underneath them.
  • All arrows are replaced by icicles (all normal sized, small arrows).
  • All spears are replaced by candy canes (all spears from Skirmishers and Genitours).
  • Trebuchet projectiles are replaced by presents.
  • Cannonballs are replaced by snowballs (for Bombard Cannons, Cannon Galleons, Bombard Towers).
  • Mangonel, Onager, and Siege Onager projectiles are replaced by giant snowflakes.

I hate to say I’ve been playing AoE2 DE for awhile and still in single player but the game has no immersions for an infinity game. 

once all the trees are chopped down the enemy AI stalls. The reason is they are trading only gold. The AI don’t even fish afterwards to get food to keep making attacking units. I have to feed my enemy more with resources to stay in the game. 

0ad is much much better in single player by a mile, 1 enemy AI can trade and continues to accumulate resources that are needed for continuity. 0ad women won’t wander towards my settlement to gather wood.

Somehow 0ad has better good looking units, more building varieties.

AoE 2 DE or any version is only good for multiplayer. You can’t rotate the map! You can’t play on Mac! Tower defense is much worse that they can be placed side by side. And tbh I hate that boar thing coupled with very less fauna.

I don’t understand myself why I still keep playing it but probably just to test my newly upgraded A17 laptop. 

I hope A24 will release soon and can introduce some better gameplay on single player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Servo said:

I once all the trees are chopped down the enemy AI stalls. The reason is they are trading only gold. The AI don’t even fish afterwards to get food to keep making attacking units. I have to feed my enemy more with resources to stay in the game. 

0ad is much much better in single player by a mile, 1 enemy AI can trade and continues to accumulate resources that are needed for continuity. 0ad women won’t wander towards my settlement to gather wood.

I think you would be seduced by the Fork AD AI then :-)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Servo said:

once all the trees are chopped down the enemy AI stalls. The reason is they are trading only gold. The AI don’t even fish afterwards to get food to keep making attacking units. I have to feed my enemy more with resources to stay in the game. 

Age of Empires was never meant to be played indefinitely; matches tend to last 20-70 minutes depending on players.  Running out of wood rarely the decisive issue when things like gold and stone deplete much faster.  You're clearly looking for something else in single player that can't be found in Age of Empires.  

• Like 1

I only really want to play a realistic game, a combination of city building with atrocities (War if medieval civilization)  but must continue to infinity. Infinity means s continuous engagement between factions on a certain era timetable. 

AoE 2 starts from dark age to imperial age but if you examine the sense of its mechanics it really is just a plain game not for realistic fun but rather competitive fun. Whereas 0ad stays in the same era and have a better realistic mechanics. 

Does it make sense to have units be still alive from dark age to imperial age? Are there only a couple of boars, sheep’s and animals from dark age to Imperial age?

you take out phasing in 0ad, let technologies evolve over a small time frame then let opposing factions engage each other makes better sense imo. 

https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/the-new-map-pool-sucks/65293

A discussion about pool maps to be selected in ranked.

the Devs wanted to make the ranked score as much skill based as posible. Playing what map you want in ranked is cool but also allows players to only play one map type and specialize. Like is now your skill has to be good and the same on any map, it’s very hard to specialize on all the maps in the map pool. Yes, the map pool si not the best but will probably get changed in the future.