MacOS Catalina requires notarization

Yesterday, Apple announced MacOS 10.15 Catalina, and as part of this release, all apps must be notarized to run. On MacOS Mojave, it was "optional," but it is now mandatory. 

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06/03/apples-macos-catalina-is-first-to-require-app-notarization-by-default

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution

This service requires that the finished application be sent to Apple to be notarized as part of an automatic (and free) process, and that the returned "ticket" be "stapled" to the Mac app before distribution. This only looks at security - it does not and is not used to enforce any Apple policies. Notarization is mostly automated, with one developer saying it typically takes only a few minutes to get your "ticket" returned. Apple has an in-depth video coming soon here:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/703/

• Like 1

I don't believe 0 A.D. is signed with a developer ID, so that sounds like the old "right-click > Open" process would still work for us.

We might at some point consider enrolling in the developer program (99$/y) and try getting signed, and I guess notarized. Would have to understand what this entails exactly, but we could distribute 0 A.D. on the Mac App Store which might give us an increased presence on Mac OS. Might also not.

• Like 3

Later today I will be installing the first dev build of Catalina on my MacBook Pro. I will try installing 0AD as-is and see what happens. I hope to reply back tonight with the results. Also, hopefully Apple will get their video uploaded with more details on what specifically is happening.

• Like 2

Update: I was browsing around and managed to find this:

https://developer.apple.com/developer-id/

It appears then that, because 0AD is not signed by Developer ID, that it would not require notarization. I will still check later today.

Upcoming Requirements

When users on macOS Mojave 10.14 or later first open a notarized app, installer package, or disk image, they’ll see a more streamlined Gatekeeper dialog and have confidence that it is not known malware.

Mac apps, installer packages, and kernel extensions that are signed with Developer ID must also be notarized by Apple in order to run on macOS Catalina.

It appears that @wraitii is correct.

Edited by gjsman

Not sure. But YSE seems like a perfect candidate. Licensed with the Eclipse Public License.

(OpenAL is proprietary, so the license is better. Plus, Creative was just so careless with openal)

20 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

Not sure. But YSE seems like a perfect candidate. Licensed with the Eclipse Public License.

(OpenAL is proprietary, so the license is better. Plus, Creative was just so careless with openal)

Sounds overkill, Open AL is an API, this is a full fledged sound engine, which can be good, but I'm not sure that's what we want.

I just downloaded and installed 0ad on Developer Build #1 of MacOS 10.15 Catalina. As in 10.14 Mojave, the game immediately pops up with "unknown developer." Right-clicking the icon and choosing "Open" appears with the standard "Open / Cancel" options, which have not changed.

OpenGL is deprecated according to Apple documentation, but the game appears to still load and play as normal. OpenAL is also now deprecated, but sound does play without a problem.

For now, it appears, 0ad is in the clear. However, it is perhaps best to get 0ad notarized, perhaps on the Mac App Store, and to develop for Vulkan while supporting MacOS using MoltenVK.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2019 at 12:28 PM, wraitii said:

I don't believe 0 A.D. is signed with a developer ID, so that sounds like the old "right-click > Open" process would still work for us.

We might at some point consider enrolling in the developer program (99$/y) and try getting signed, and I guess notarized. Would have to understand what this entails exactly, but we could distribute 0 A.D. on the Mac App Store which might give us an increased presence on Mac OS. Might also not.

For what it's worth, I'm enrolled in the dev program now.

I'm not sure that getting on the App Store is feasible yet, if it ever will be. But I see no problem with signing our bundles.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, historic_bruno said:

For what it's worth, I'm enrolled in the dev program now.

I'm not sure that getting on the App Store is feasible yet, if it ever will be. But I see no problem with signing our bundles.

@Itms @Jeru  Some additional  Info to look at  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/946#note_337443      and  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/2583   @historic_bruno @wraitii

Maybe I'm, getting something wrong here but:
I don't agree it's good idea at all to pay a company for closing their system! :S

If people on Mac OS want to play 0 A.D., Apple is clearly acting against the interest of their users.
If projects supporting Mac OS (by trying to be compatible) need to pay money to actually be installed on Mac OS, Apple is clearly acting against the interest of the developers.

So the conclusion for me would be for users and developers - if the condition for each hold true - to turn away from Apple!

EDIT: And if the conditions are not fulfilled there's no reason to support Mac OS in the first place.

Edited by FeXoR
Slight grammar fix
  • Like 1

This is really just the corporate attitude of both Microsoft and Apple "Our users are stupid we must protect them so we don't get sued" this has been increasing from both corporations over the last few years so we see both OS's having closed software stores with developer fees and censorship.

Enjoy the Choice :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

This is really just the corporate attitude of both Microsoft and Apple "Our users are stupid we must protect them so we don't get sued" this has been increasing from both corporations over the last few years so we see both OS's having closed software stores with developer fees and censorship.

Enjoy the Choice :)

add Google and any technology/Entertainment or Corporation to that greed and add privacity stole factor. We live in a Corporocracy.