Civ: Germans (Cimbri, Suebians, Goths)

4 minutes ago, Obskiuras said:

Hi, the civic center and the market are not finished, i made a special building for the champion units and the farmstead is the difinitive model based in old concepts. The drawings ar not made to scale, the size of the buildings i leave to you, the fortress i will make it later.

Ger-buildings.thumb.jpg.0c18a4c320403e7a2aef911ab19e5b00.jpg

We have default sizes for store house and market.

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ArtScaleAndProportions

Footprint size Building Name(s)
2x2 Outpost, Defense Tower, Sentry Tower
3x2 Wall Short
3x3 House, Wall Tower
5x5 Farmstead, Storehouse, Corral, Blacksmith
6x2 Wall Medium
6x6 Barracks, Temple, Dock, Stables
7x7 Fortress, Shooting Range
8x8 Civic Center, Field, Market, Elephant Stables
9x2 Wall Long, Wall Gate

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

We have default sizes for store house and market.

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ArtScaleAndProportions

Footprint size Building Name(s)
2x2 Outpost, Defense Tower, Sentry Tower
3x2 Wall Short
3x3 House, Wall Tower
5x5 Farmstead, Storehouse, Corral, Blacksmith
6x2 Wall Medium
6x6 Barracks, Temple, Dock, Stables
7x7 Fortress, Shooting Range
8x8 Civic Center, Field, Market, Elephant Stables
9x2 Wall Long, Wall Gate

About the special building the "great hall", what size are you going to put?

Edited by Obskiuras

Is the great hall in lieu of a fortress (would make sense)?

Also need a Stable and Archery Range. The Battering Ram can come from the Great Hall or Blacksmith, so no need for a Workshop. 

I'm thinking the Civic Center can go sideways with the entrance on the long side (like the current Millennium AD Norse cc) and the Great Hall could long lengthwise with the entrance on the short end.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Is the great hall in lieu of a fortress (would make sense)?

Also need a Stable and Archery Range. The Battering Ram can come from the Great Hall or Blacksmith, so no need for a Workshop. 

I'm thinking the Civic Center can go sideways with the entrance on the long side (like the current Millennium AD Norse cc) and the Great Hall could long lengthwise with the entrance on the short end.

It´s true that it was not usual for the Germanic tribes to have defensive methods such as building fortresses but i thing is harmful to the gameplay of this faction not to put fortress. The "great hall"can be used as a workshop but they need to have a fortress although with less armor and less life.

Edited by Obskiuras

13 minutes ago, Obskiuras said:

Going back about units, i propose three units champions:

1) Heavy swordmen (that one is already spoken)

2) Berserker, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BerserkerÚlfhéðnar - wolf warrior. The romans colled it "furor teutonicus"

3) Women archer or spearwomen (debatable)

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Berserker#/Úlfhéðnar_–_wolf_warriors

That word looks to be Norse, yes? What about Wolfskrieger?

There are warriors depicted as bare-foot, bare-chested, bearing weapons and helmets that are associated with the Germani. Scene 36 on the column shows some of these warriors standing together, with some wearing bearhoods and some wearing wolfhoods.

These are auxiliaries (scene 36):

Spoiler

TC-036.2-11.jpg

There are even possible legionaries (wearing lorica segmentata) with animal hoods (scene 50):

Spoiler

TC-050.1-5C1.jpg

TC-050.1-61.jpg

image.png.48e77a223b3858e21df37d89ba5d3971.png

The bare-chested Germani are here:

Spoiler

TC-108.16-109.5-cpd-4.jpg

TC-100.2-22C-cpd.jpg

TC-100.11-5.jpg

Edited by Genava55

22 minutes ago, Obskiuras said:

Enough of linguistics, let´s go back to the units, the rol of the women in te germanic army: women archer or spearwomen?

Bow and arrows are pretty scarce before the 3rd century AD. Female warrior burials never suggested any archery. Spear, axe or sword are better options.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Do you have any good references for what they've worn?

Female burials suggesting female warriors have generally little or none indication for the common outfit encountered in other female burials. Even the adornments are those commonly found in male burials.

I do not think there are correct representations. So you have "carte blanche", anyway I won't nitpick (I do not care).

1 minute ago, Genava55 said:

Female burials suggesting female warriors have generally little or none indication for the common outfit encountered in other female burials. Even the adornments are those commonly found in male burials.

So there is not any clothing reconstruction from this period that was made ?

17 minutes ago, Stan` said:

So there is not any clothing reconstruction from this period that was made ?

There is the french association Limitis. It is not perfect because they kinda mix everything labeled "Germanic" into one cultural group that never existed but at least they tried to portray the Germans before the Migration Period.

Edit: And when I said " I do not think there are correct representations", I was talking about the female warriors. The Przeworsk in its whole is badly documented, without any visual representation from the Romans. Generally, people are simply transposing the things of the Elbgermans to all the others because these are the only ones with artistic representations for this period. Is it wrong? Probably... but how much? hard to tell. It could be huge or small. See how big are the differences in the Celtic world, between Hispanic, Britannic and Central European Celts

Edited by Genava55