Is alpha 24 coming soon?

Adeimantos

1 minute ago, thankforpie said:

no it will never come afaik the development stopped.

What's the point of that comment? :unsure: It's not true as you can see if you go to the link in the post before yours (there has been changes as late as today), and it can only confuse or demoralize people. Of course it would have been nice if there had been more activity, we're at least as disappointed as anyone else, but if you want that to change it's better to offer advice or help.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, feneur said:

What's the point of that comment? :unsure: It's not true as you can see if you go to the link in the post before yours (there has been changes as late as today), and it can only confuse or demoralize people. Of course it would have been nice if there had been more activity, we're at least as disappointed as anyone else, but if you want that to change it's better to offer advice or help.

im genuinely sory i was horrible mistaken

or maybe i was not mistaken? this posts says its true

OUPvaHc.png

Edited by thankforpie

16 hours ago, thankforpie said:

how did you manage to write 9,403 posts on dead forum?

Being here since 2007 helps with getting a high number of posts, plus at least in the past there were a lot of staff-only discussions which means that it's not always visible how active the forums are or have been. :)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

According to the "Roadmap" in Trac, Alpha 24 is 22% done (18 tickets out of 84). See: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/roadmap

@feneur Is there any way community members can help? Can you suggest some ways for developers, artists and other members, how they can help the development?

Can somebody provide the major milestones/features for Alpha 24? Maybe with some estimates how much those are done?

I am really eager to get more information regarding the status of Alpha 24.

8 minutes ago, balduin said:

According to the "Roadmap" in Trac, Alpha 24 is 22% done (18 tickets out of 84). See: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/roadmap

@feneur Is there any way community members can help? Can you suggest some ways for developers, artists and other members, how they can help the development?

Can somebody provide the major milestones/features for Alpha 24? Maybe with some estimates how much those are done?

Your best ally for this case is the trac.

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Alpha24

41 minutes ago, balduin said:

You can actually install and play the development version if you want to; see https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions

As for progress, the last commit of A23 was rP21821; A24 is already at rP22436 currently, i.e. over 600 patches have been committed already, and numerous more are proposed at https://code.wildfiregames.com/ (there is actually quite a review backlog). That said, it feels like work has just started, and a lot more has to be done. Quite frankly, I don't expect A24 to be finished this year.

The limiting factor is the available time of team members. Keep in mind they're all volunteers with a real life and can't be expected to be around full-time. Finding more people who have the technical skills, time, motivation, reliability, and long-term availability required is not trivial.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, balduin said:

There is also that spiky project but you need to be armored enough: https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/25134-fork-ad/

:D

To answer the question, a lot of the alpha 24 work is in private github branches of different Wildfire Games members for the reason fatherbushido has posted. It's sad to see people decide to try to make Wildfire Games obsolete. I would have wished to continue to cooperate together, but Wildfire Games has a 20 year history, has created this very software and the online platforms and to me this is a value byitself to maintain rather than to actively help tear down. So I have to support Wildfire Games and 0 A.D. at the pice that I will have to pay for that.

• Like 2

@elexis You seem to be one of the core devs. My question, is what is the status of Alpha 24? I do not want to critique anything or have the feeling things go to slow. I really just want to have a short summary of the Alpha 24 development status.

know what are some of the milestones the 0 A.D. team is working on. However, if I look at Trac, I see 100+ tickets.

It does not tell me anything about the major milestones you are working on. I just want to have three to five points written in human English.

For example, something like this:

- A group of developers work hard to make the AI algorithm more efficient (done: 27%)

- Another group of developers work on improving the rendering of units (done: 72%)

- Sound artists focus on improving all Iberian sound files (done: 34%)

- 3D artists are working on new animals (not started: 0%)

- An interdisciplinary group of "historians", artists, sound engineers and developers work on implementing a single player campaign (done: 51%)

Again, this is just an example. I made this up. I have no idea what is going on.

It would be really nice to have such a short summary.

11 minutes ago, balduin said:

know what are some of the milestones the 0 A.D. team is working on. However, if I look at Trac, I see 100+ tickets.

It does not tell me anything about the major milestones you are working on. I just want to have three to five points written in human English.

For example, something like this:

- A group of developers work hard to make the AI algorithm more efficient (done: 27%)

- Another group of developers work on improving the rendering of units (done: 72%)

- Sound artists focus on improving all Iberian sound files (done: 34%)

- 3D artists are working on new animals (not started: 0%)

- An interdisciplinary group of "historians", artists, sound engineers and developers work on implementing a single player campaign (done: 51%)

Again, this is just an example. I made this up. I have no idea what is going on.

It would be really nice to have such a short summary.

We have new trees. New gaia.

New textures for buildings and units.

Better pathfinder.

Some sounds... But still lack improve that department.

Changing egyptian buildings to more Hellenistic concept.

This all i can remember , I play the svn and is difficult say what is new...

• Like 1