===[COMMITTED]=== Animations

Alexandermb

23 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

That's true, because a basic run is just a faster walk for them. Now, if they are agitated or aggressive, yeah, some ear flapping, some trunk swinging, head movements would be awesome. The game really really needs a "charging" state for that extra pizzazz. I wonder if Fork AD is adding charging. ;) 

Indeed, right now an elephant is just an expensive kind of ram with more health. Having charge would add the proper function of the elephant itself.

@Enrique any feedback ?

@Alexandermb Would be to split unit animations from this. Maybe

1. One commit for elephant animations.
  2. One commit for fixed unit animations matching those new elephants animations
  3. One commit for Elephant animation blend file
  4. One commit for Elephant animation armor variant.

Then we will have to proceed for the remaining units and be done. What do you think ?

8 minutes ago, Stan` said:

@Enrique any feedback ?

@Alexandermb Would be to split unit animations from this. Maybe

1. One commit for elephant animations.
  2. One commit for fixed unit animations matching those new elephants animations
  3. One commit for Elephant animation blend file
  4. One commit for Elephant animation armor variant.

Then we will have to proceed for the remaining units and be done. What do you think ?

renaming? what would we change? im ok with that commit schedule. TBH Elephant is ready though id rather wait to have everything done with riders included to commit it.

Forgot to mention that following some references i made an alternate version of bow stretching animation (the timing between frame 0 and 20) before releasing but i consider the archer firing rate too fast. Archers should be reworked for historical accuracy and giving a bit more timing for aim. They are arches not gattling guns.

But thats my opinion. generally speaking it rather reduce the archers firing rate while increasing the piercieng damage and also increasing the aiming time before release.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Oh! ahahah my bad, im not fully awake  :LOL:.

Elephant riders, id rather finish all animations before committing the changes to the armature.

Ah I thought you were done :)

3 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Forgot to mention that following some references i made an alternate version of bow stretching animation (the timing between frame 0 and 20) before releasing but i consider the archer firing rate too fast. Archers should be reworked for historical accuracy and giving a bit more timing for aim. They are arches not gattling guns.

But thats my opinion. generally speaking it rather reduce the archers firing rate while increasing the piercieng damage and also increasing the aiming time before release.

Interesting. Would be nice to have a special animation for @Freagarach zone attack :)

would be also great to split reloading from the main animation but that requires some UnitAI changes maybe @wraitii knows where ? Or maybe just Attack.js not sure. Being able to specify the number of reloads would be nice for futuristic mods.

In any case I believe we should finish with the reexport before adding any other animations to keep things okay. Some stuff should also be fixed like the units losing helmets and animations not working because of the recent changes...

Just now, Stan` said:

Ah I thought you were done :)

In any case I believe we should finish with the reexport before adding any other animations to keep things okay. Some stuff should also be fixed like the units losing helmets and animations not working because of the recent changes...

im looking references for improve the riders (Specially the maurya's archers)

losing helmets? i have some fixes stored in the elephant adjustment mod folder.

3 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Look at the concerns raised on Phabricator :)

I believe that's because you deleted groups between carry and the rest...

i've followed @wraitii changes on roman infantry about changes for made the formations works, 

Could be unrelated, here a test with pikemans wich was one of the group removals affected:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Its working properly here.

@Alexandermb

Not to dog pile on you mang, lol, but can you look at some of the walks? Some of the walk_shield anims swing the shields around almost like they're not there. Same with the archer jog, the bow jiggles around like mad. The wood chopping animation looks to be the original submitted one, not @Enrique's edit/fix of it. Same with the mining animation. The pickaxe could go higher in the air and the arms extend straighter at the beginning and end of the stroke. Just some minor things I've noticed. The syntagma walk, for instance the sarissa pike jiggles and swings around weirdly. These are polish things, to be sure. :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

@Alexandermb

Not to dog pile on you mang, lol, but can you look at some of the walks? Some of the walk_shield anims swing the shields around almost like they're not there. Same with the archer jog, the bow jiggles around like mad. The wood chopping animation looks to be the original submitted one, not @Enrique's edit/fix of it. Same with the mining animation. The pickaxe could go higher in the air and the arms extend straighter at the beginning and end of the stroke. Just some minor things I've noticed. The syntagma walk, for instance the sarissa pike jiggles and swings around weirdly. These are polish things, to be sure. :) 

Use some screenshots to enphatize your points on this ones (pikeman, shield walk), could help to fix them, i just saw the archer jog. Also if have possible references for mining would help, i wanted to improve that one but was kinda hard to control the swing of the arms when minning.

• Alexandermb changed the title to ===[COMMITTED]=== Animations