===[COMMITTED]=== Animations

Alexandermb

3 hours ago, Stan` said:

Also the scales are not in the right direction but that seems so be the case in your reference so meh 

I noticed that too, but then I realized it actually makes sense. Since people are much smaller than elephants, when they attack it with spears and swords they'd be stabbing upwards. If the scales are orientated downwards, the blades can dig underneath the layers of scale, especially when the scales are so big.. That having said, I haven't personally seen the original sources for these types of scale armor, but they're apparently described or depicted somewhere

From "Animals in the Military: From Hannibal's Elephants to the Dolphins of the US Navy", by John Kistler also repeated in his other book "War Elephants", he says:

502736076_ScreenShot2019-08-30at11_44_18.thumb.png.a6f1d9f83b2811166fcc56f49ccbe183.png

Apparently Seleucids were also also forced to switch to the smaller North African elephants in later years, just like the Ptolemies (Greco-Bactrian Kingdom, Indo-Greek Kingdom and Iranian Parthians would have blocked their access to Indian elephants). Perhaps it would be an interesting option for Ptolemies and Seleucids to be forced to choose from either stronger but more expensive Indian elephants vs cheaper but weaker African elephants? 

2 more pretty art refs:

diadochi_wars_by_manulacanette_dddqo8c-pre-1.thumb.png.fb27ed317aab28ff9808f656ffe990dc.png

15354819575_6287d46884_b.thumb.jpg.976cca5778f9a912009a1ffa27e7485c.jpg

"A turreted war elephant wearing a saddle cloth decorated with a hippocampus (Eastern Iran, ca. 3rd-2nd cent. BCE"

476991258_aturretedwarelephantwearingasaddleclothdecoratedwithahippocampus(EasternIranca.3rd-2ndcent_BCE.thumb.jpg.62bbb53a57c0e19d13423daa35daa0d7.jpg

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Stan` said:

Maybe you could try to match @Enrique's old bronze tone this one looks quite yellow. Also the scales are not in the right direction but that seems so be the case in your reference so meh 

Yep i like that tone too, but imagine this is the same helmet material and still looks different, thats how messy are the blender colors when baking. It should get the same color of the helmet but doesn't,

And also @Sundiata has a point on that, following the reference it makes sense the scale goes upward-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

I believe that's because you are missing the HDRI :)

Never, my default blend start file always have HDRI. :P

It was the color node had another color group instead of the one i've used for helmets.

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

@Stan` if its okay if i make both versions work? and possibly a third variant? for have some variety on the elephant armor. They are quite big and are is quite easy to note the "Copy Paste" in gameplay so a lil bit distinction should help some.

• Like 1

It's better now. Can you try with a little less yellow saturation and less dirt ? I guess the red straps (are they player color btw ?) Looking kinda too nice compared to the scales.

It's missing the head feather thingy too :)

Sure make a third version if you'd like. Put them side by side so we can see if they fit together in the game.

25 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Source, please?

In his book "War Elephants", p. 154, John Kistler makes the claim twice. 

1950867898_Warelephants.thumb.jpg.4b11a0250e205810282ac272dcdab45b.jpg

I don't know the original source for this... 

On another note, he also mentions the temple of Athena Polias Nikephoros in Pergamon as a source for the crested headpiece for the elephants. I just spent more than an hour looking for it because I'm dying to see it, but I can't find it :( (I did find the crested headpiece for the horses though :) )

IA-AvPII43_01-JPG_Original_300dpi-e1468253346205.jpg.b0b0191fccb6e9e53f222f101372056c.jpg

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 2

You have video references for elephants running? Or is it more about the head movements and ears flapping? As far as I know, the stride of an elephant doesn't change depending upon speed, but I can see though the elephant's head and tail looking more agitated and aggressive for sure!

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

1 minute ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

You have video references for elephants running? Or is it more about the head movements and ears flapping? As far as I know, the stride of an elephant doesn't change depending upon speed, but I can see though the elephant's head and tail looking more agitated and aggressive for sure!

This one: 

Spoiler

Tried to make the ears and trunk move more compared to walking, plus stretch a bit more the legs to the max range. But yeah, in other words its about how you said, ears flapping and trunk.

• Like 2

Just now, Alexandermb said:

Forgot to mention that in the actual state, elephants doesn't have any running animation, is just walking with more speed.

That's true, because a basic run is just a faster walk for them. Now, if they are agitated or aggressive, yeah, some ear flapping, some trunk swinging, head movements would be awesome. The game really really needs a "charging" state for that extra pizzazz. I wonder if Fork AD is adding charging. ;) 

• Alexandermb changed the title to ===[COMMITTED]=== Animations