===[COMMITTED]=== Animations

Alexandermb

@Alexandermb Yes there's been changes recently.

That you need to be aware of:

Formations now use animation variants, and the regular "Idle", "Walk", "Run" animations. So you need to setup your actors to have a regular variant group with idle/walk/run animations, and a formation-special variant.
Also, while remaining in formation units will IDLE in formation-animation, but when that formation breaks (for whatever reason), they will revert to their usual animation.

I believe there's still a few issues, but tbh the current code needs some streamlining before we fix these.

Check out my changes to the testudo formation actors.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Some anims don't work as well because they are a combination of two others ie carry idle and I don't think we support that in Atlas 

Those should just be the Idle animation of the "Gather Food" variant. But perhaps Atlas doesn't have great support for that.

TBH we're pretty close to hitting some hard limit in the customisability of our actor file there, so we'll probably have to think of a better way to do this soon-ish

3 hours ago, wraitii said:

@Alexandermb Yes there's been changes recently.

That you need to be aware of:

Formations now use animation variants, and the regular "Idle", "Walk", "Run" animations. So you need to setup your actors to have a regular variant group with idle/walk/run animations, and a formation-special variant.
Also, while remaining in formation units will IDLE in formation-animation, but when that formation breaks (for whatever reason), they will revert to their usual animation.

I believe there's still a few issues, but tbh the current code needs some streamlining before we fix these.

Check out my changes to the testudo formation actors.

So basically the variant name now define the animation id instead of the name or id itself, at least now they remain idle and thats a progress :D.

I'm redoing the testudo in a cleaner way with blender instancing:

Spoiler

image.png

This way i can see better the position of each one and keep them in their root point and not having to move them further to the root for fill an space.

2 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

@Stan` only missing elephant riders but i haven't found the file yet, i have to look deeply in my house when i get there someday. Should i start the commit to start updating units?

I'm not sure there is an elephant file. I don't think I ever found it. Maybe Enrique knows more.

As for committing just make sure that the checkrefs.pl script is happy and that you do small commits. Make sure you respected the naming conventions as well, that files are well indented that variants have the xml header and that you aren't leaving anything useless behind and missing any files.

Would be nice to have everything though because elephants are gonna error out badly otherwise.

About the elephant is that this one?

On 7/21/2019 at 10:33 PM, fatherbushido said:

Check that one https://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/19137/

(there was a total "blend" with the different source files where different ones were used (one can see the ones using "Armature" and the ones using "Cube" in the exported .dae).)

The file biped/new/inf_sarissa_rest was in the first experimental new anims commit. Then was not included in the final one.

That's mostly that big confusion between the two sets of files where errors were stacked which prevent an automatic way (I mean modifying the anims and mesh .dae) to fix it.

So the file should be here: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/19137/?format=zip&new=19137

(That's perhaps not what you are looking for!)

Edited by fatherbushido

A bit more history here:

Spoiler

In r15915

It introduces the new meshes and some animations for them

meshes/skeletal/new/armor/f_tunic_short_boudicca.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_dress.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_dress_sleeves.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_hero_pants_tunic.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_hero_tunic.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_pants.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_pants_tunic_long.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_pants_tunic_short.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_tunic_long.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_tunic_short.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/f_dress.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/f_naked.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/f_tunic_short.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_dress.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_dress_sleeves.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_hero_caros.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_hero_pants_tunic.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_hero_tunic.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_naked.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_pants.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_pants_tunic_long.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_pants_tunic_short.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_tunic_long.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_tunic_short.dae

animation/biped/new/fem_idle_long.dae
animation/biped/new/fem_idle_short.dae
animation/biped/new/inf_arch_idle.dae
animation/biped/new/inf_sarissa_rest.dae
animation/biped/new/inf_shield_idle.dae

The related blend source is commited in r18137

In r18138

It is another version of the source files r18138. The previous ones get the .blend1 extension.

In r18971

It introduced the blend file for animations.

In r19061

It introduced the new anims and it modifies the meshes.
The meshes now have 3 more vertices groups for capes and internally BIPED_ is renamed by ARMATURE_

meshes/skeletal/new/f_dress.dae (12 diffs)
meshes/skeletal/new/f_naked.dae (11 diffs)
meshes/skeletal/new/f_tunic_short.dae (11 diffs)
meshes/skeletal/new/m_dress.dae (10 diffs)
meshes/skeletal/new/m_dress_sleeves.dae (11 diffs)
meshes/skeletal/new/m_hero_caros.dae (12 diffs)
meshes/skeletal/new/m_hero_pants_tunic.dae (11 diffs)
meshes/skeletal/new/m_hero_tunic.dae (11 diffs)
meshes/skeletal/new/m_naked.dae (11 diffs)
meshes/skeletal/new/m_pants.dae (10 diffs)
meshes/skeletal/new/m_pants_tunic_long.dae (10 diffs)
meshes/skeletal/new/m_pants_tunic_short.dae (10 diffs)
meshes/skeletal/new/m_tunic_long.dae (10 diffs)
meshes/skeletal/new/m_tunic_short.dae (10 diffs)

it is also choosen to use long names instead of folders for armor version and so there is the new

meshes/skeletal/new/m_armor_dress.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_armor_dress_sleeves.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_armor_hero_pants_tunic.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_armor_hero_tunic.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_armor_pants.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_armor_pants_tunic_long.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_armor_pants_tunic_short.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_armor_tunic_long.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/m_armor_tunic_short.dae

but the following ones are not deleted

meshes/skeletal/new/armor/f_tunic_short_boudicca.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_dress.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_dress_sleeves.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_hero_pants_tunic.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_hero_tunic.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_pants.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_pants_tunic_long.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_pants_tunic_short.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_tunic_long.dae
meshes/skeletal/new/armor/m_tunic_short.dae

Also the following anims are not modified to use the new version of the meshes

animation/biped/new/fem_idle_long.dae
animation/biped/new/fem_idle_short.dae
animation/biped/new/inf_arch_idle.dae
animation/biped/new/inf_sarissa_rest.dae
animation/biped/new/inf_shield_idle.dae

In r19095

it used the new anims in templates

In r19137

New blend source

In r20483 and r20545

The siege operators animation files are refering it seems, if I look at the .dae internally to the first new meshes version.

In r20690 and r20696

same thing for biped/new/gastra*

In r21366

some things are removed (so less to fix)

In r22081

perhaps some things to check

Another draft I had about that:

Spoiler
  • In WFG-r15915: ***** introduced new meshes and animation. They are placed in meshes/skeletal/new/ and animation/biped/new/. They weren't used in actors, It was more or less a wip. There was already the mistake which annoy us: 3 duplicated vertices (so we get a 42 count for the 39 actual bones).
  • In WFG-r19061: ***** finished his works and uses the previous meshes and animation for actors. But he had worked meanwhile and slightly modified the meshes (adding 3 bones for the capes and renaming some internal blender names from Biped_* to Armature_*). The exiting "new" mesh files are modified, some are added and a family of meshes which are modification of existing ones are move-added but the old "new" ones remained. In f04550fe I suggested to removed them. Also some animation files which were done with the temp meshes WFG-r15915 were not update accordingly animation/biped/new/fem_idle_long.dae animation/biped/new/fem_idle_short.dae animation/biped/new/inf_arch_idle.dae animation/biped/new/inf_sarissa_rest.dae animation/biped/new/inf_shield_idle.dae
  • In WFG-r19095 one actor keeps ref to the forgotten duplicated meshes (see f04550fe)
  • In WFG-r20716 a file was added based on the forgotten duplicated meshes (see f04550fe)
  • In WFG-r20483, WFG-r20545, WFG-r22081 *** and ********* added a lot of new actors using the 42 bones meshes files but anim worked on the 39 bones meshes. The used blend source was not the good one!
  • It passes through WFG-r21366.

Edited by fatherbushido

1 hour ago, fatherbushido said:

Nice, had no idea you could that ! (The zip file export)

Unfortunately it's not, only cav anims in there... But thanks a lot for the digging !

The file biped/new/inf_sarissa_rest was in the first experimental new anims commit. Then was not included in the final one.

Found it in "art_source\trunk\art\meshes and animations\skeletal\units\New units blends\New units armored version with animations.blend"

@Alexandermb I believe you are the only one that have the elephant animations They were not in the blend file at that time and haven't been since... Should have asked you then, I'm sorry

On 11/12/2017 at 9:43 PM, Alexandermb said:

Update***  

EDIT : They were committed in https://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/20716/

3 minutes ago, fatherbushido said:

Are you sure it's only cav anims in that file?

There are a few other, but nothing called elephant, and the riders animations are all for cavalry... Enrique hadn't had the time to make elephant rider animations by then.

22 minutes ago, fatherbushido said:

I first thought Alexander was looking (he actually was at some time) for biped/new/inf_sarissa_rest (which was done by enrique, no?). That one being used by most of the elephant rider. But he spoke about different elephant rider animations.

Ah yeah sorry for the miscommunication, we are talking about archers and drivers animations :)

Elephant was left in my house but i don't go there often this days and when i do i end fixing my windows because blackouts broke everything or cleaning the house instead of checking the files. So i have to go there a week or a weekend and check wich files i can excavenge from there.

Indeed inf_sarissa was an elephant rider animation too but it was kinda broken before having started the update the helmet position was wrong, the shield was wrong also so it was an useless animation.

1 hour ago, Alexandermb said:

Elephant was left in my house but i don't go there often this days and when i do i end fixing my windows because blackouts broke everything or cleaning the house instead of checking the files. So i have to go there a week or a weekend and check wich files i can excavenge from there.

You should buy an external USB box for your HDD and take it with you :)

Maybe if they weren't that complex you could redo them, so that the set is complex.

• Alexandermb changed the title to ===[COMMITTED]=== Animations