===[COMMITTED]=== Animations

Alexandermb

2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

@wraitii how hard would it be to add a shuttle speed multiplier for the gathering like the run multiplier 

I don't think a multiplier would work; It would give inconsistent results when a consistent shuttle speed for all infantry/foot gatherers is what we want. It would just need to be a standard stat, like the walk speed stat.

Is your “shuttle speed” only the movement speed from the resource to the dropsite (i.e. when carrying resources), or also towards the resource (i.e. when not carrying anything)? If the former, it wouldn't actually solve the problem, if the latter, then how is it different from the default walking speed?

To me, introducing a separate shuttle speed mechanic sounds like a complex non-solution; the easier and more correct fix would be to simply give all infantry the same walking speed.

47 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Is your “shuttle speed” only the movement speed from the resource to the dropsite (i.e. when carrying resources), or also towards the resource (i.e. when not carrying anything)? If the former, it wouldn't actually solve the problem, if the latter, then how is it different from the default walking speed?

To me, introducing a separate shuttle speed mechanic sounds like a complex non-solution; the easier and more correct fix would be to simply give all infantry the same walking speed.

Agreed.

Pikemen and such, when gathering, aren't supposed to be burdened by their heavy armour anyways (since we show them not having it), so their regular walk speed should be basically identical. Only when in special 'formation' mode should they possibly be slower.

Champions are a different deal.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wraitii said:

Agreed.

Pikemen and such, when gathering, aren't supposed to be burdened by their heavy armour anyways (since we show them not having it), so their regular walk speed should be basically identical. Only when in special 'formation' mode should they possibly be slower.

Champions are a different deal.

Been saying that the whole post :D, speed should be the same for all as well as taking walking speed into a multiplier of 1.0 right now javelinist have 1.4 wich is too much for a "citizen" and the animation just illuminate the broken template and not integrate a "broken" feature like running into a tree, the infantry was always running in terms of speed but not of animation.

and if the other solution is implemented a solution would be take speed walking to the resource and to the dropsite to a 1.0 and 0.5 while going to dropside (overweighted by the resource, specially if they have 30 carry resource tech)

16 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

Been saying that the whole post :D, speed should be the same for all as well as taking walking speed into a multiplier of 1.0 right now javelinist have 1.4 wich is too much for a "citizen" and the animation just illuminate the broken template and not integrate a "broken" feature like running into a tree, the infantry was always running in terms of speed but not of animation.

Here you go: D2300

On 9/15/2019 at 5:04 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

(in reference to shuttle speed)

Please God, add this. Amen.

I know this was already said, but please! The Diadochi factions already suffer economically, because pikes move slower than all other units, so their economy is not as robust. Everybody mentioned the speed of skirmishers when gathering, but not the slowness of pikes.

Edited by Phalanx
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Phalanx said:

I know this was already said, but please! The Diadochi factions already suffer economically, because pikes move slower than all other units, so their economy is not as robust. Everybody mentioned the speed of skirmishers when gathering, but not the slowness of pikes.

@Nescio patch fixed that removing the nerf or buff off every unit kind. And yes im glad you mention that, that is also another broken fact of infantry speed the only way speed should be different between infantry is running and running should be implemented only with stamina for not having it as an exploit of skirmishers. Honestly this isnt a "balance" issue, this an exploit and an insult to realism or immrsion in gaming, is kinda stupid and not doing anything only worsen the fact of the speed exploit.

Look the most modded game of all: Skyrim. It has magic, beasts, dragon, huge axes and everything an RPG has to offer, Yet the community of this game made thousands of mods to make the game more realistic and immersive by adding hypothermia, thirsty, hungry, deceases, Mods to modify combat into directional damage and proper sword and shield combat etc. Everything to make the game realistic and immersive for the community taste. Who was wrong in here; The community who plays and buy the game , Or the developers ? Remember AoE 2 Forgotten devs.

Doesnt that applies too to 0.A.D. ? This is a game for educate our community about history but what about realism? We have to question ourselves "What are we teaching ?" That a skirmisher walking zoom all over the map? That a ram is faster than a pikeman formation charging ? That an skirmisher army was more dangerous than an army of well protected and shielded pikeman.

Also the fact of having different kind of walking speed is just another excuse for being a clon of AoE.

If this game doesnt want to be compared with AoE, do the right. Implement good features: Realism in human matters, Realism in combat, the opportunity of create batallions after creating single infantry and then make them forget about gathering and improving their combat skills while they are in batallion.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

that is also another broken fact of infantry speed the only way speed shouks be different between infantry should be running and running should be implemented only with stamina for not having it as a broken feature

I know its kinda off topic for this thread, but imho, the speed should only be affected by formations.  But I know formations are still kinda iffy right now.

• Like 3

While at it, I think the cavalry walking speed is currently a bit too high (195%); horses can run very fast, but when walking they are not much faster (5-8 km/h) than humans (4-5 km/h); so perhaps 150% would be better?

Also, what would be decent walking speeds for the siege engines? E.g. 90% for packed scorpio (donkey), 80% for packed bolt-shooter, 70% for packed stone-thrower, 60% for ram, and 50% for siege tower? Or would a single speed (e.g. 75%?) for all siege engines be better?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

in such boring day like today ive just done this in the past 30 minutes following @wowgetoffyourcellphone idea of add cracking necks and those things:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

First one done are Hoplites.

Athenian hoplite using corinthian helmet b1 with crest could be the insignia infantry of 0.A.D it looks very well compared to how it looked before. Looks so well done.

idle went from idle_relax.dae to:

1. idle_relax_a: Default Static-
  2. idle_relax_b: Crack Neck.
  3. idle_relax_c: Shake Right foot sandal
  4. idle_relax_d: Look West
  5. idle_relax_e: Look East
  6. and beyond if possible. Cough?
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Alexandermb said:

Just thought about the cough animation, it won't look well unless we have the sound effect :pardon:

I guess I could ask samulis ( or just cough my cold in a mic haha)

4 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Camel riders and elephant driver only. Just been lazy with them :D. honestly i haven't touched very much blender neither 0.A.D. This days.

I didn't know that. Would be nice to finish that to fix the Debug build

Just now, Stan` said:

I guess I could ask samulis ( or just cough my cold in a mic haha)

I didn't know that. Would be nice to finish that to fix the Debug build

Yeah, want to finish it soon, with camels riders i will apply the same import - export of fisherman. Drivers have to tweak death animations thought.

i have been playing a lot PUBG Lite with a friend of mine :D

18 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Yeah, want to finish it soon, with camels riders i will apply the same import - export of fisherman. Drivers have to tweak death animations thought.

i have been playing a lot PUBG Lite with a friend of mine :D

Well we all get sidetracked for time to time. But it's nice to finish what one has started :)

• Alexandermb changed the title to ===[COMMITTED]=== Animations