===[COMMITTED]=== Animations

Alexandermb

While I like the variations of shaggy pants and the suggestion of more head variety, I don't think props that require the unit armature for deforming like the linothorax is a good idea since I think they spawn a whole new instance of the armature and very small number of bones are used, a lot of computations of the rest of the bones is wasted.

I'm ok for things like greaves, which a simple prop-bone in the armature that already uses the base-unit is enough and needs no deformation.

Also linothorax is such a small difference and can be already be done via textures, so I don't think it is worth.

The only separated prop that I made with animation that uses the unit armature are the capes, which were too important to leave them out.

My opinion would be that if you want animated props that make substantial changes in the unit silhouette then make a new variation of the whole unit mesh, which I think it is less resource heavy than the approach mentioned above.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Enrique said:

While I like the variations of shaggy pants and the suggestion of more head variety, I don't think props that require the unit armature for deforming like the linothorax is a good idea since I think they spawn a whole new instance of the armature and very small number of bones are used, a lot of computations of the rest of the bones is wasted.

I'm ok for things like greaves, which a simple prop-bone in the armature that already uses the base-unit is enough and needs no deformation.

Also linothorax is such a small difference and can be already be done via textures, so I don't think it is worth.

The only separated prop that I made with animation that uses the unit armature are the capes, which were too important to leave them out.

My opinion would be that if you want animated props that make substantial changes in the unit silhouette then make a new variation of the whole unit mesh, which I think it is less resource heavy than the approach mentioned above.

Thats just an experiment we gonna take for high detailed units for a future "high poly" 0.A.D. or for Campaing heros.

Also leave an open field for single players modders willing to make an rpg like titan quest from 0.A.D. engine and assets.

in other talk:

Seeding animation added from @Enrique starting pose:

Spoiler

image.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Since aspis remake i had problems finding the proper position of the pikeman shield, but also struggle every time i try to properly place a sheath or a quiver, so i had this plan:

Add a fully prop points for every piece for armor or weapon now that bodies and animations are being re-exported.

We no longer have just a plain 0.A.D ancient era game. We now have a community of modders wanting to do their own era games like @Bigtiger 13th century mod and we no longer are restricted to mediterranean civilizations.

So here i show the prop points for a fully armored knight of the 14+ century:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

A fully armored prop bones for each zone of the bodie allowing to modders to have a fully armored infantry whitout being limited to a plain visual.

Sheaths/Scabbards and Quivers always have been an issue in 0.A.D. not only the exportation from blender but also the clipping with the bodie so i added 6+6 more animated bones + prop bones for every sheath for no longer have that clipping issue and open also the posibility of having a seax behind and a also the option to have a katana:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.png

Scabbards and Quiver whitout need to adjust to the bone position:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

For any modder exporting a prop is an issue because of the position.  

See ingame scabbards and quivers for example

Spoiler

image.png

And our non existent sheaths:

Spoiler

image.png

We have to make TWO ACTORS per quiver or sheath for each side and would require a THIRD one for back seax so. No longer this will happens and we only require a single sheath or quiver for both sides.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

athenian_champion_marine with sheath in prop point "sheath_02_L" with a new falcata sheath i've just did for testing the sheaths bones:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

The sheath doesn't haven too many details since the small texture size and being so small doesn't let user appreciate any detail properly. But at least we gonna have sheaths for falcata users.

Spoiler

image.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Another important thing: a pike requires both hands to handle, which is why they have smaller shields attached to their arm, so they can hold their weapon with two hands.

They use both hands, that was me just showing the collections in the blender file (Thanks to blender 2.8) being lazy to change animation idle for a screenshot :D

• Like 1

Yesterday i've did this for see how it would see with samnites:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.png

Just now, Stan` said:

37 Is okayish i guess but it's twice as much as the current state. 100 however is 5 times more which would be a bit more problematic in the long run... Nothing compared to the 300+ on the ships but still... @wraitii @vladislavbelov can we make something to not doom the next alpha for low end computers ?

Very nice armor BTW

Yeah, the armor used all the draw calls possible :D even when its the same texture for all 3 pieces

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Yeah, the armor used all the draw calls possible :D even when its the same texture for all 3 pieces

That's the issue, the game doesn't group objects using the same textures for rendering... Dunno how hard it would be to implement.

2 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Yesterday i've did this for see how it would see with samnites:

Looks nice, but the difference in quality between the props is starting to show a lot.

• Alexandermb changed the title to ===[COMMITTED]=== Animations