Stryphs first time review

Stryph

so playing through feels pretty solid for me as a long time RTS lover. i just have a few tweeks to suggest and not even major ones which i feel is pretty good.

1. being able to pick starting places on a custom battle

2. seeing the non combat phase timer

3 . auto explore on some units or something designated for exploring the map

4. being able to play in the background, i play most of my games in windowed mode and tab out to make a music play list or send a quick message on discord.

5. having a designated worker class i feel would be better than having military units play as both but its your game haha make it as you like, i just feel it takes away from the army build experience and you can sometimes forget that most of your workers are in fact military.

6.being able to scroll on the nation info list and being able to see special units/builds

that is it for now, if i think of anything else i will be sure to make another post or comment

23 minutes ago, Stryph said:

1. being able to pick starting places on a custom battle

This is a good idea and has been suggested before. I think it's on everyone's radar.

2. seeing the non combat phase timer

Right. If there's a ceasefire, then the counter/timer should be visible through the entire duration. Devs, please do this.

3 . auto explore on some units or something designated for exploring the map

This was a part of the old game design, maybe? I think it was decided it would be more rewarding if the player did the scouting. I could go either way on this one. 

What I would like though are some audio and text notifications when you first sight certain things, like treasures or enemy units, etc.

4. being able to play in the background, i play most of my games in windowed mode and tab out to make a music play list or send a quick message on discord.

Already possible. "Windowed Mode" is in the options! :)

5. having a designated worker class i feel would be better than having military units play as both but its your game haha make it as you like, i just feel it takes away from the army build experience and you can sometimes forget that most of your workers are in fact military.

Some mods do this. Look up "Delenda Est" for example. (y)

6.being able to scroll on the nation info list and being able to see special units/builds

You can somewhat do this with the "Structree" in the game or from the Main Menu. (y)

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

i would like to play the game as is on release without modding :) i feel it is more rewarding and or better experiance and kinda not a diss to the DEVS. and as for the windowed mode thing.. i do play in windowed but whenever i tab out it auto pauses :(.( EDIT- i found in the menus i was able to turn off the auto pause while tabbed out feature!)  as for the Structree, yeah i noticed that but when making a custom game it is not there and just having an info section about the nation would be swell. a message about the treasures found would be awesome!

Edited by Stryph
found something useful

12 minutes ago, Stryph said:

i would like to play the game as is on release without modding

Installing mods is quite easy in the game with the mod downloader. You don't have to do much on your end as far as modding the game since others are doing it for you. :)

13 minutes ago, Stryph said:

i feel it is more rewarding and or better experiance and kinda not a diss to the DEVS

The official devs heavily encourage modding and mods, actually! :)

14 minutes ago, Stryph said:

as for the Structree, yeah i noticed that but when making a custom game it is not there and just having an info section about the nation would be swell

I hear you. But pro-tip, you can access the structree in-game by clicking on the civilization emblem at the top of the screen. Not exactly what you want, but it's something. (y) 

10 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

This was a part of the old game design, maybe? I think it was decided it would be more rewarding if the player did the scouting. I could go either way on this one. 

What I would like though are some audio and text notifications when you first sight certain things, like treasures or enemy units, etc.

yes was an old programmer i'm not sure who, said they doesn't want this and close the ticket.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Sad 1

Right. If there's a ceasefire, then the counter/timer should be visible through the entire duration. Devs, please do this.

It's in the diplomacy window IIRC. Usually though you know how much time you have and you can just display the elapsed time.

It is still part of it I think. @Freagarach worked on it not long ago.

The second part would be nice indeed. Does a bit too much for you though.

5 hours ago, LordGood said:

Hey don't worry we mod too haha

Some of those mods are made by current and former devs, so treat them as you will

thanks for the support and reading my post. how did you feel about the other little things i mentioned? it is a solid game as is and i did think of something else just now.... in battle for middle earth some maps had preset bases and i thought it was really cool but that was really the only game i found it in and i dont mean everything is built, i just mean walls and depending on the size of the map depended on the size of the preset. the huge map would have walls and a entry point 100% around the base a medium size would have a semi open plan covering about 60% and a small map would have nothing. just a really cool feature i couldnt find elsewhere.

post-49053-1177059682.jpg

• Like 1