New Map 2.0 Asia

imperium

• 2 years later...

This is a nice map, very well thought out, but it currently produces a lot of errors when loading. I was thinking about removing it from the community maps 2 mod. Has anyone played this map yet?

TIMER| loading/sprites.xml: 153.967 us
TIMER| loading/loading.xml: 11.6357 ms
OpenGL error(s) occurred: 0501
ERROR: CCacheLoader failed to find archived or source file for: "simulation/templates/gaia/fauna_rhinoceros_whiteceros_white.xml"
ERROR: Failed to load entity template 'gaia/fauna_rhinoceros_whiteceros_white'
ERROR: CCacheLoader failed to find archived or source file for: "simulation/templates/gaia/fauna_rhinoceros_whiteceros_white.xml"
ERROR: CCacheLoader failed to find archived or source file for: "simulation/templates/gaia/fauna_zebu.xml"
ERROR: Failed to load entity template 'gaia/fauna_zebu'
ERROR: CCacheLoader failed to find archived or source file for: "simulation/templates/gaia/fauna_zebu.xml"
ERROR: CCacheLoader failed to find archived or source file for: "simulation/templates/units/brit/champion_cavalry.xml"
ERROR: Failed to load entity template 'units/brit/champion_cavalry'
ERROR: CCacheLoader failed to find archived or source file for: "simulation/templates/units/brit/champion_cavalry.xml"
ERROR: CCacheLoader failed to find archived or source file for: "simulation/templates/structures/kush/nuba_village.xml"
ERROR: Failed to load entity template 'structures/kush/nuba_village'
ERROR: CCacheLoader failed to find archived or source file for: "simulation/templates/structures/kush/nuba_village.xml"
ERROR: CCacheLoader failed to find archived or source file for: "simulation/templates/units/kush/infantry_clubman_b.xml"
ERROR: Failed to load entity template 'units/kush/infantry_clubman_b'
ERROR: CCacheLoader failed to find archived or source file for: "simulation/templates/units/kush/infantry_clubman_b.xml"
ERROR: CCacheLoader failed to find archived or source file for: "simulation/templates/units/pers/champion/cavalry_archer.xml"
ERROR: Failed to load entity template 'units/pers/champion/cavalry_archer'
ERROR: CCacheLoader failed to find archived or source file for: "simulation/templates/units/pers/champion/cavalry_archer.xml"

Edited by andy5995
linking to discussion
  • Like 1

This map is quite playable as it is, but may cause more problems with newer versions of the game. A lot of maps in your mod work as maps, but are unfinished. For example, there is Halicarnassus, which gives a full city, but with zero opponents outside, and lacks any kind of resources, outside too. There is no wood of any kind, especially.

And the map Mesina doesn't work. It charges, but it's all black.

I don't know how to modify a map, but I sense this map can work well with only a few upgrades.

Edited by SolarEagle
errors
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SolarEagle said:

This map is quite playable as it is, but may cause more problems with newer versions of the game. A lot of maps in your mod work as maps, but are unfinished. For example, there is Halicarnassus, which gives a full city, but with zero opponents outside, and lacks any kind of resources, outside too. There is no wood of any kind, especially.

And the map Mesina doesn't work. It charges, but it's all black.

I don't know how to modify a map, but I sense this map can work well with only a few upgrades.

@SolarEagleThanks for the feedback! I haven't fully reviewed all the maps in this mod since I took it over. I'll have a look at those two you mentioned and probably remove them if your description matches with their current state. Could you open a discussion and post any other map names that are unplayable or unfinished? Either on the repo Discussion or a DM here on the forum, or this forum post?

As for this map, I'll keep it in the mod for now... but I'm thinking that the pop cap should be changed from 300 to 200 otherwise I don't really see that it would be playable due to lag later in the game. What do you think?

@andy5995The population limit on the Asian map can create lag later in the game, but the presence of a huge population at the end depends on if one plays against the AI or other human players.

In the first case, one must eliminate opponents, then reduce the overall population. My tactics, while playing the Ptolemaic camp, are to attack the neighbour at the South immediately, the elephants giving a huge boost of help, defend the military colonies, and develop the economy at the same time, then, when having reached city phase attack the other players one after another with the same troops, going east first, and taking pauses to reinforce them if needed. I avoid building other city centres, and maybe only one military colony.

In the second case, players may have more staying power, then indeed create such overpopulation.

About the other maps, I'll give feedback on the forum post, to incite other players to give theirs too.

• Thanks 1

I fixed the loading errors in 44e2624

@SolarEagleyou can take a peek at that to see how some changes are made.

For the Kush clubman, I wasn't sure what that needed to be, so I searched https://code.wildfiregames.com/ for "clubman" and found this 0ad patch, which also told me what the "nuba_village" was changed to.

I used this script to speed up testing a bit

#!/bin/sh

pyrogenesis -autostart=scenarios/Asian\ Campaign \
        -quickstart -autostart-disable-replay \
        -autostart-ai=1:petra -autostart-aidiff=1:5     \
         -autostart-nonvisual

Shows any entity loading errors and starts the game (but I hit ctrl c to break from that)

@Freagarach@Stan`0ad could probably use an extra flag that terminates 0ad after the map is loaded.. exiting with 0 if no entity loading errors, 0 otherwise (Ticket created)