{civ}_civil_centre → {civ}_civic_center

In that case we would get `template_structure_civic_civic_center.xml` and `template_structure_civic_civic_center_military_colony.xml`.

Also, civic centre has apparently (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/civic_centre) different meanings in British (area with municipal buildings) and North American (sports and entertainment complex, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Civic_Center) usage.

Functionally, the 0 A.D. entity is not just a civic structure, but also defensive (garrisonable, shoots arrows), economic (resource dropsite), and military (trains soldiers).

So if these templates are to be renamed, we might as well look critically at what they should be called.

Personally I favour Oxford spelling, which is distinct from American, British, Canadian, and other national varieties, and is used by international organizations such as the United Nations and by numerous scientific publications.

But yeah, 0 A.D.'s style guide says we should use American spelling.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Nescio said:

In that case we would get `template_structure_civic_civic_center.xml` and `template_structure_civic_civic_center_military_colony.xml`.

Also, civic centre has apparently (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/civic_centre) different meanings in British (area with municipal buildings) and North American (sports and entertainment complex, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Civic_Center) usage.

Functionally, the 0 A.D. entity is not just a civic structure, but also defensive (garrisonable, shoots arrows), economic (resource dropsite), and military (trains soldiers).

So if these templates are to be renamed, we might as well look critically at what they should be called.

No thanks. Civic Center is just fine. The current file names however are abbreviated from the old "Civilization Centre" designation. It would be nice to just align the file names with the current designation. 

• Like 1

Using the American spelling exclusively does seem a bit partial; I'd favour an option to have both British and American spellings available as a language option since this is not targeted towards any one specific country, and all countries in the dominion, as far as I'm aware, use the former system.  It's quibble of a point, but a point nonetheless.

I would also agree with Nescio's assessment of the naming.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Using the American spelling exclusively does seem a bit partial; I'd favour an option to have both British and American spellings available as a language option since this is not targeted towards any one specific country, and all countries in the dominion, as far as I'm aware, use the former system.  It's quibble of a point, but a point nonetheless.

I would also agree with Nescio's assessment of the naming.

Well there is en_us and en_uk in the game. We are talking about the files not the actual game.

• Like 4

Also, we might have a look at how similar entities are called in similar games:

• Age of Empires, Age of Kings, Age of Mythology: town center
  • Cossacks: town hall
  • Empire Earth: settlement → town center → capitol
  • Rise of Nations: small city → large city → major city

Perhaps 0 A.D. has chosen Civ/Civic/Civil Centre deliberately to differentiate itself; I don't know; having a phase-related name (village center → town center → city center) instead could be nice as well.

7 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Perhaps 0 A.D. has chosen Civ/Civic/Civil Centre deliberately to differentiate itself; I don't know; having a phase-related name (village center → town center → city center) instead could be nice as well.

I can't find the thread but I remember reading a discussion about that, and actually differentiating ourselves of Age of Empires.

On 5/7/2019 at 9:07 AM, stanislas69 said:

Well in this case according to the wiki we should use the american spelling and meaning.

Agreed. This is also common practice for most software projects, and British English can always be added as a translation, as has been done on Transifex for 0 A.D.. The only project that I have come across so far that uses en_GB as a source language is phpBB, and I translate a lot of projects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...