Some info for the fans ? :)

Alkansy

Hey there ! 

First i want to be sorry for my english i come from France :)

I discovered your game recently and it's so good ! But well that was hard to play a game in 2v2 against IA with my friend cause the game was freezing every 10 second, maybe cause of my computer and some other game problem, but as i told that was a really good experience. 

I Tried to get some information on the forum, but there's not a lot of recent big update, so i woul'd like to know how the project feel ? Is it so long cause you need money ?  Or cause the game required so much time ? Maybe because you're not enough to work on...?

Well i understand that a  lot of people probably already asked you the question a lot of time, so i'm sorry to be curious ^^ And i also can understand if you wouldn't answer some question.

Alkansy.

Edited by Alkansy
Englush -> English
  • Like 1

Hey there,

Welcome to the forums and glad you like the game !

14 minutes ago, Alkansy said:

I discovered your game recently and it's so good ! But well that was hard to play a game in 2v2 against IA with my friend cause the game was freezing every 10 second, maybe cause of my computer and some other game problem, but as i told that was a really good experience. 

Usually you can reduce the lag by reducing the map size and the population cap. Also you should host the game on the fastest of the computers :)

16 minutes ago, Alkansy said:

I Tried to get some information on the forum, but there's not a lot of recent big update, so i woul'd like to know how the project feel ? Is it so long cause you need money ?  Or cause the game required so much time ? Maybe because you're not enough to work on...?

The project is going alright. Stuff is getting down behind the scenes but you are right that we often don't communicate enough on that.  We'd rather invest our time working on the game than doing communication. The only thing we need is time as all of us are doing it on our free time and currently no one is getting paid to do jt. 

Another team is working on their own on the game totally separated from us. So actually it might be twice the usual productivity in the end :)

Hey thanks for your answer !

Yes i understand that create a game during free time must be so long, but i'm happy that you still on the project ! :) 

I had 2 more question that i forgot to mention, i'm really interested by the campain in this kind of game, so can i get some information somewhere about that ?  I searched a little but i didn't find anything :) 

And i also wou'ld like to know if the game will be/is optimize for competitive games ? :) 

Also thanks for everythnig ;) 

5 minutes ago, Alkansy said:

I hadmore question that i forgot to mention, i'm really interested by the campain in this kind of game, so can i get some information somewhere about that ?  I

Campaign hasn't been implemented yet. It needs thorough research and a few features are still missing in the game.

6 minutes ago, Alkansy said:

And i also wou'ld like to know if the game will be/is optimize for competitive games ? 

You can play competitive games online using the Multiplayer lobby. There is a ranking system there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

Campaign hasn't been implemented yet. It needs thorough research and a few features are still missing in the game.

You can play competitive games online using the Multiplayer lobby. There is a ranking system there.

I feel lately there have been some work on new features rather than polishing or solving bugs, and that's nice. 

Some questions now that we're asking... Finally what will happen to persian voices? Wraitii is working in the improvement and implementation on big changes on pathfinding? (or was only a small fix)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, av93 said:

I feel lately there have been some work on new features rather than polishing or solving bugs, and that's nice.

While I agree with you on the meaning, most of the work which is needed in that kind of project is not noticeable. On a open source project, the code mess is visible so you can't hide it and just produce something that 'works' at time t. ;-)

edit: sum up, the issue is to "get the balance right".

Edited by fatherbushido
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

What Phillip did without getting paid makes that 1 month insignificant. People working on their free time is the norm of OpenSource projects. It is a proven model.

Unsignificant doesn't mean it did not exist. Well actually working on your free time is different from not being paid :)

2 hours ago, (-_-) said:

People working on their free time is the norm of OpenSource projects

There are three norms that come to my mind: for-profit organizations (Google Android is also Apache / GPL licensed), volunteer organizations and non-profit organizations (Blender and GNU/FSF for example).

The "not" / word grouping was ambiguous:

On a open source project, the code mess is visible so (you can't hide it) and (just produce something that 'works' at time t).

On a open source project, the code mess is visible so you can't (hide it and just produce something that 'works' at time t).

You probably meant the second variant (i.e. revealing the code reveals issues and thus one can't just produce something that works; rather than revealing the code implying that one can not produce more than something that works).

6 hours ago, fatherbushido said:

On a open source project, the code mess is visible so you can't hide it and just produce something that 'works' at time t. ;-)

One would think...but that is not the case in the majority of "open" projects.

> volunteer organizations

Yes, which happens to be the norm.

Edited by Guest

I had 2 more question that i forgot to mention, i'm really interested by the campain in this kind of game, so can i get some information somewhere about that ?  I searched a little but i didn't find anything

Maybe there is this: https://www.moddb.com/mods/0-ad-scenario-pack/downloads/0ad-scenario-pack. (I found this a few minutes ago.)