Notre Dame cathedral loss

8 minutes ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

Many of you were probably already aware of this, but I only found out a little while ago. Notre Dame cathedral has suffered catastrophic damage due to fire. It is a very sad day for France, and everyone really. :(

The fire started a few hours ago and it's currently still ablaze:
https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2019/04/15/incendie-en-cours-dans-la-cathedrale-notre-dame-de-paris_5450533_3224.html
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47941794

It reminds me of the national museum of Brazil last September.

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, Genava55 said:

Still ablaze yes, the complete destruction of the North towers (Beffroi) is still possible. Sadly. 

The fire is now under control and although the spire and surrounding roof has collapsed, most of the structure, including the towers, has been saved and most of the artworks on display inside were evacuated by firefighters. It's sad, but it could have been much worse.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47943705

• Like 4

"Photos show center of Notre Dame cathedral miraculously intact": I read they let the fire burn controlled, logic being what doesn't crash down can't smash things below... Some (foreign) air-head suggested using water bombers; luckily the firefighters knew better.

So, the roof's gone. I don't think there was much actual cultural loss?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

"Photos show center of Notre Dame cathedral miraculously intact": I read they let the fire burn controlled, logic being what doesn't crash down can't smash things below.

Sounds like less of a miracle to me and more like the fire marshals being smart and professional at what they do.

19 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Sounds like less of a miracle to me and more like the fire marshals being smart and professional at what they do.

Well, I think the main concern was about the integrity of the stone portions of the structure. The combined interactions of the heat from the fire and the cooling from the water could have caused the stone to become brittle and collapse. Even now, they aren't fully sure what condition the stone is in and whether it is sound. It does appear that they were able to save many of the movable contents, so that is very good.

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I fear the restoration will turn into a boondoggle. So many corporations and rich people pledging donations, who will coordinate these funds?

Probably will be handled by the property owners which I think is the French government? The Catholic Church has full permission to manage Notre Dame, so I'm sure they will have some involvement in the process. I don't think fund coordination will be any worse than any other government restoration project (natural disasters, etc.)

On 4/16/2019 at 10:52 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I don't think it's a miracle, because it's about material things instead of human lives.

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I fear the restoration will turn into a boondoggle. So many corporations and rich people pledging donations, who will coordinate these funds?

the same kind of guys that coordinate to helps ONG and aid to another matters. 

Spoiler

vJje9gg.jpg

• Haha 1