===[COMMITTED]=== Roman Infantry (New texture)

wackyserious

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, wackyserious said:

I have seen several artists depict them wearing padded cloth with pteruges underneath that armor. In the game we also have that in the texture for Hannibal.

Would that be historically acceptable

That is called the subarmalis. It is theorized it can be used as padding underneath many types of armor such as chain and mail. I don't see why it couldn't be worn under pectorals. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Thanks 1

Hmm, that looks more like a Champion "Extraordinarius" to me, what with the groin and shoulder pteruges. Certainly use that texture for them!

For a rank-n-file citizen soldier (advanced Hastatus or advanced Eques), I think a subarmalis would look more like this upper body piece:

11ff944506d79da9d71127a229b7378c.jpg

Certainly others may have their own interpretations. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Thanks 1

The subarmalis can sometimes be seen peeking out from beneath armour on wall-paintings and in mosaics of the period, but no physical examples have survived. Typically, the subarmalis is constructed in linen (those depicted are white, which often denotes the use of undyed linen), either a score or more layers glued together, or two layers with wool packed between them and then quilted. Both create a viable 'dead' space behind the ringmail which provides that vital protection from blunt trauma.

Hot and heavy

Obviously, wearing a subarmalis is very hot and heavy to wear — especially when you add on the armour and helmet, and then... all of the weaponry and a shield!

However, the subarmalis is necessary and without a subarmalis, a blow from a weapon could (and probably would) create "shock" injuries such as the aforementioned broken bones, ruptured organs and internal bleeding.

subarmalis

also I have this in my images....

4220bea1fafaab98ad130b65e4a9ca3b.jpg

I found better size.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are gonna have to add shadows here to show the bumpy effect :).

I guess you can use bilinear gradients on each stripes :) Or the the one that does it automatically depending the shape :)

Btw did you know that by tweaking the texture a bit you could make sure the legs are seamless ? ;) See the art design document.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Added some gradient, this is the farthest it could go. Going for more would distort the details.

Mmh, can you send me the file ? :)

34 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Thanks I will read it. :) By the way, should I commit the helmet recolor?

Oh yeah forgot to answer about that, I didn't know how the helmet looked before, can you do a side by side comparison ?

060119 - Romans.jpg

Polybian system was grouped according to age and not wealth right? So there will be no problem adding this texture to the basic rank hastatus? (Although this is really in conflict with the desgin, which states that equipment becomes better or more elaborate as a unit advance in rank.