Technology Tree [Ready to use]

Silier

Technology Tree  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want this to be part of release?

• Yes
    • No

I am releasing Technology Tree. Anyone who wants can integrate it to his mod, or use this mod as dependency if files are not conflicting. 

Compatible with all mods not changing gui/reference/common/load, helper and mainmenu.xml. (should be all mods which are out, not sure about fgod)

With DE works if this mod is the last one, but you loose something from mainmenu (not sure what).

You can explore all technology trees, which are researched from structures.

If you select technology, which is paired, the second choice will be displayed on the right.

Supersedes are considered as requirements.

Phase is set as minimum from all buildings that can research it and then max from needed technologies and phase given by buildings.

By clicking on structure, the row with starting technologies (they have no requirement which is from this building) is refreshed based on that structure.

You can choose any technology by clicking on it.

You move in tree by clicking on requirements, paired technologies or unlocks.

If some unit has some technology as requirement, it will be displayed under that technology ( you can click on that unit to open traditional viewer).

tech1.thumb.png.941da21422360f42489555916771bf5f.pngtech2.thumb.png.9e583dbe3fb32479c56f8e1687318549.png

Edited by Silier
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Neat. I'll play around with this! It seems like your icons are squished on the vertical axis though and the code doesn't seem to handle civ-specific techs correctly, at least Delenda Est's (select the Athenian house to see 3 different techs unlocking women, even though only 1 should show). (y)

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

Well, you inherit them from template_structure_civic_house :) ( I do not check for civ requirements, maybe I should ) so they are there because can be researched from that building. But I try to fix it.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone but looks like ushites/unlock_citizens_house does not have requirements.

kushites/unlock_citizens_house : ({name:{generic:"Civic Festival", internal:"kushites/unlock_citizens_house"}, icon:"technologies/wives_festival_nubian.png", description:"A festival attended by women-only, to celebrate female fertility. For example, the Thesmophoria was a festival held in Greek cities, in honor of the goddess Demeter and her daughter Persephone. The name derives from thesmoi, or laws by which men must work the land. The Thesmophoria were the most widespread festivals and the main expression of the cult of Demeter, aside from the Eleusinian Mysteries. The Thesmophoria commemorated the third of the year when Demeter abstained from her role of goddess of the harvest and growth; spending the harsh summer months of Greece, when vegetation dies and lacks rain, in mourning for her daughter who was in the realm of the Underworld. Their distinctive feature was the sacrifice of pigs. Whereas Bona Dea (or The Good Goddess) was a divinity in ancient Roman religion. She was associated with chastity and fertility in women, healing, and the protection of the Roman state and people. Her rites allowed women the use of strong wine and blood-sacrifice, things otherwise forbidden them by Roman tradition. Men were barred from her mysteries and the possession of her true name. The goddess had two annual festivals. One was held at her Aventine temple and the other was hosted by the wife of Rome's senior annual magistrate, for an invited group of elite matrons and female attendants.", reqs:false, modifications:(void 0), affects:(void 0), replaces:(void 0), cost:{time:60, food:300, wood:0, stone:0, metal:0, glory:200}, tooltip:"Unlock the ability to train Citizens from houses.", requirementsTooltip:"Requires 4 houses to be built.", supersedes:(void 0)})

Edited by Angen

5 hours ago, Angen said:

image.thumb.png.912ee1d9ca2295c14937fa46fae219fa.png

image.thumb.png.f38632599cc0a95b20506bc446896771.png

I like it! One thing I don't (not your fault, this is the canonical 0ad style sprite) is the excessive number of horizontal lines. By the way, does this layout (lines of icons) fit in the minimun screen width resolution ?

What is the use case of the dialog that the other dialogs don't serve yet? It's that the dependent technologies and units are displayed here but not in the structree? Perhaps the existing dialog could be extended, so that one doesn't have two dialogs with one feature each per entity/tech, but one dialog covering all the information? There was this new dialog in a23, perhaps the dependent units and techs could be shown there? Then the building selection wouldn't be a duplicate feature, one wouldn't have to switch between the dialogs when wanting the other piece of information on the building/tech, and the information that the structree has that this dialog doesn't have can be used without replicating it. But I don't know if there are more use cases that require this to be a separate dialog, or an independent dialog.

On dialog design in general, ideally unused GUI space is a bit ugly. I see the window is so large becaues the structree uses that size, but that one also uses it. One can fill the unused space with decoratives sometimes, or rearrange somehow. It's problematic for the structree-type dialogs because the content size can vary a lot depending on the selection. For that purpose there ought to be scrolling. For the proposed dialog, one can probably reduce the width regardless of selection.

• Like 2

Actually it is kind of hardcoded in mainmenu.xml for every new subwindow opened so I gues not such wrong as you need to change that file for adding new item to submenu. And I fixed it :). 

Well it is structure tree thats why second window. Maybe it could be merged somehow to one page if someone feels it would be good. However design of structure tree does not fit in this exploring tree idea and vice versa. 

For me purpouse of structure tree is to show all possible structures and for what purpouse they are in game.

The reason I thought this would be nice to have (at least like mod)  is that you can see which technologies do you need to unlock one selected and you also see what needs this one to be able to research. And you can compare (see) difference between paired technologies without need to look for the second one.

Reason why buildings are in this is just to keep graph (kind of) as small as possible to prevent scroling from left side to right and to kind of organise different technologies. 

Another reason to display just one technology requirments and unlocks is to avoid connecting lines which would at some point go from one end of screen to the opposite and it could be hard to find out which things are really connected. 

I didn't mean to add it to the structree window itself, but to the dialog that opens after clicking on a tech. The new icons would then again be buttons to show information about these techs.

The other information that is shown on the screenshot is a comparison between two techs, that doesn't fit into the existing dialogs. But is that important to compare these two techs on a single screen? (If we add a new screen, why only these two and not possibly more).

Again, I didn't discover or comprehend all use cases, but the icons in the middle look like something that the template info dialog would benefit from.

19 hours ago, Angen said:

tech1.thumb.png.941da21422360f42489555916771bf5f.pngtech2.thumb.png.9e583dbe3fb32479c56f8e1687318549.png

Thank you for creating and sharing this mod. It looks nice and works. However, I'm not quite sure what the added value is, especially compared to the separate structure tree.

A few minor points:

2114261055_Screenshotfrom2019-03-2317-40-34.thumb.png.177d7ed4935ee33c4e81f368f2a55bef.png

• Why is the phase listed at the left, above the costs? To me this suggest the costs are the phase's, instead of the technology. Besides, isn't the phase a requirement, so shouldn't it be displayed there?
  • Insufficient space to display the g in Advanced Healing Rate
  • Insufficient space to display the civ summary history (top); and why is it displayed here anyway?
  • Perhaps include civ bonuses and other autoresearched technologies as well somewhere? And team bonuses (auras)?
  • This technology tree is structure based: if a certain technology is researched at three different structures, it is listed under all three, but each time with a different structure as a “requirement”, while in reality a technology can only be researched once; it doesn't matter at which structure (or unit).
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, elexis said:

The number of dropdown items is hardcoded in the mainmenu JS file, refs unused patches that make the menu specification a big JSON to remove hardcodings.

That's part of the solution, the other part is to have the ability to add/remove <objects> from js

Edited by nani

On 3/23/2019 at 5:56 PM, Nescio said:

Why is the phase listed at the left, above the costs? To me this suggest the costs are the phase's, instead of the technology. Besides, isn't the phase a requirement, so shouldn't it be displayed there?

One could make strange technology pair where one technology needs phase 1 and another phase 2. I originally thought about giving it to middle, but I liked it this way on the left.

Insufficient space to display the civ summary history (top); and why is it displayed here anyway?

To fill empty space (no but really, I did not like that empty space there so I put it there)

This technology tree is structure based: if a certain technology is researched at three different structures, it is listed under all three, but each time with a different structure as a “requirement”, while in reality a technology can only be researched once; it doesn't matter at which structure (or unit).

Structure tree also shows one technology across all buildings and one could think it is not the same technology and can be researched more than one time. However I may remove building from requirement section and put all buildings to can be researched from section (less confusing)

Perhaps include civ bonuses and other autoresearched technologies as well somewhere? And team bonuses (auras)?

In that case I can make whole new window connecting all things together, but I need some new design. 

On 3/23/2019 at 4:49 PM, elexis said:

But is that important to compare these two techs on a single screen?

From my perspective yes. Because you are choosing between these two strictly. It is option 1 or option 2.

On 3/23/2019 at 4:49 PM, elexis said:

I didn't mean to add it to the structree window itself, but to the dialog that opens after clicking on a tech.

I wanted to avoid changing structree at all but that is good idea. :)

Oh that Heal range tech is a tech pair, got it. I thought the right tech is unlocked by the left tech. Perhaps one could add labels for that. Also the icons are either the same or similar, making it a bit more confusing what is what.

So I see two distinct use cases served by this dialog:

• allows the player to compare the choices of a tech-pair on a single screen
  • allows the player to click on techs that are unlocked by this tech and techs that are required by this tech

Please complete the list if there is more. After that we can see how this information could be integrated in the best case.

• 3 years later...