Custom In-game Menus

Sebastián Gómez

Hi @Basshunter, and welcome! The idea sounds very cool. We'd be happy to have you create the assets for that! Putting them into place in the game shouldn't be the main difficulty.

So I'm moving this thread to the Art forums, if you don't mind, where you'll be able to work on this with the help of our artists. I also encourage you to get the latest development version (see instructions here, no need to build the game, just download the SVN contents) so that you can dig into our game assets, tweak them, and test your creations as you go.

• Like 1

welcome.

it could be more minimalist but is okay to start.

The portraits are okay as they are at this moment.

image.thumb.png.ffea0839b840c9ffa3666cba834f6338.png

1-i love the idea of made a cornice..

2-minimap must be made in metal (bronze) is just fine.

Gauls look too much rural IMHO.

@Genava55 must know a better textures to add more properly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Itms said:

Hi @Basshunter, and welcome! The idea sounds very cool. We'd be happy to have you create the assets for that! Putting them into place in the game shouldn't be the main difficulty.

So I'm moving this thread to the Art forums, if you don't mind, where you'll be able to work on this with the help of our artists. I also encourage you to get the latest development version (see instructions here, no need to build the game, just download the SVN contents) so that you can dig into our game assets, tweak them, and test your creations as you go.

Thanks for the welcome. I've already downloaded the latest development version. What would be the next step?

19 minutes ago, Basshunter said:

Thanks for the welcome. I've already downloaded the latest development version. What would be the next step?

Keep your motivation :) Also I guess making a mod would be nice, so people can try it and give you feedback. Let me know if you need any help.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Basshunter said:

They're XML.

No JPGs or PNGs? 

Sprites used in xml GUI objects are found in art/textures/.

The actual GUI is defined in xml. See the wiki for more info on that.

Regarding the minimap, the minimap.xml in session/ is only for decoration and what surrounds it. The actual minimap is deep in the engine.

The actual minimap is the square with the smaller map. You cannot change that. You can add a sprite over that. Like how it is now. A brown texture over the minimap parts that are black.In other words, you can only hide things, not show them. As of now, a circular minimap is impossible to "mod" in.

16 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Although you can't change the minimap itself, you can change its size, position, and sprites; see gui/session/minimap_panel.xml

I think it's too much for me. I'm very good at creating graphical content and 3d assets but don't know anything about coding (Don't even know what a sprite is). 

Nothing much I can do by my self. Thanks anyway.

Indeed, xml is the easiest part. Just open the file in any text editor and have a look at it, it may look daunting at first, but is actually quite simple. E.g. if you want to make the minimap twice as large, replace line 4 with:

size="0 100%-424 424 100%"

As Nescio says editing xml is fairly straight forward but for your sanity/ease of use a syntax aware text editor helps all the default Linux text editors have coding language syntax checking on the the Windows side notepad++ doses the trick quite nicely as well as handling java script syntax.

Enjoy the Choice :)     

• 4 months later...