Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, nani said:

0 AD textures also suffer alot from the lack of anisotropic filtering, lots of detail gets blurred.

I just learnt a new word :) 

Anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing would do absolute wonders! Whatever happened to the anti-aliasing solution Siramods came up with? It looked amazing! Currently the vast majority of screenshots have terrible aliasing, including some of the official promo screens that float around the internet... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

I just learnt a new word :) 

Anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing would do absolute wonders! Whatever happened to the anti-aliasing solution Siramods came up with? It looked amazing! Currently the vast majority of screenshots have terrible aliasing, including some of the official promo screens that float around the internet... 

Siramods ?

Probably nothing got reviewed so nothing got committed :) Thats because Aeonios patches are too big to be committed as is :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Siramods ?

 

2 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

 Probably nothing got reviewed so nothing got committed :) Thats because Aeonios patches are too big to be committed as is :)

:(:wacko::cry:

What does that mean exactly? All the work is done, but it won't be added to the game, because no one can go through it all? 

Sorry for my typical off-topicness, I'll stop now. 

@LordGood That looks so nice...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sundiata

 

Okay. So ReShade is an external software (Windows only AFAIK (Linux with trickery)) that injects Shaders (Postprocessing effects if you will, so basically the game computes an image Shaders change it by applying different kind of filters) into the computer memory to alter the game display.

AFAIK no one has tried to take their shaders and put it into our game. So you'd need someone to do that first. And secondly someone else from the team to review that.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Okay. So ReShade is an external software (Windows only AFAIK (Linux with trickery)) that injects Shaders (Postprocessing effects if you will, so basically the game computes an image Shaders change it by applying different kind of filters) into the computer memory to alter the game display.

 AFAIK no one has tried to take their shaders and put it into our game. So you'd need someone to do that first. And secondly someone else from the team to review that.

Thanks for taking the time to explain, I appreciate it! 

I understand very little about the technical aspects of this all, but as a 0AD player, I definitely feel the absence of these things, which are now considered standard in the gaming world, especially anti aliasing. All of my screenshots have noticeable aliasing, and when you zoom in just a little, it's impossible not to see. This also means that even a modest crop of the screen amplifies the effect noticeably. 

I didn't even know what anisotropic filtering was, but I definitely noticed that sort of blurring fuzzy effect on textures at strong angles. 

I'm not expecting anything to be done about it ASAP or anything, I know everyone is overworked. Just adding my voice to the group of people who think it's definitely worth it, as I think that some people don't consider it important. But it's basically something that makes everything look twice as sharp... 

Edited by Sundiata

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

You can turn on AA and AF for the game via your graphics card console, yeah?

i-dunno.jpg.c6c05f23e1b60a93a789d2de6b8ea503.jpg

I wouldn't know where to access that... My point is that it should preferably be default in-game, not have to go into my computer settings to search for something I'm not even sure is there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

You can turn on AA and AF for the game via your graphics card console, yeah?

Unlikely on Mac :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sundiata said:

i-dunno.jpg.c6c05f23e1b60a93a789d2de6b8ea503.jpg

I wouldn't know where to access that... My point is that it should preferably be default in-game, not have to go into my computer settings to search for something I'm not even sure is there. 

Gamers should know where their graphics card app is. Whatever brand you have, the app should be pretty straightforward. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

graphics card app is.

I don't know what that is. Even when I google it for mac, I can't see anything... 

 

46 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Gamers

I've played computer games my whole life, but I've never considered myself a gamer. In the real world I have gamer friends, and I'm definitely not in that category. I'm as casual as it gets. I never had money to buy a lot of games, and when I started working, gaming wasn't on the list of things I wanted to spend my money on. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with it if someone wants to spend all their extra cash on it, I just never did. I also don't like the industry itself so why finance them? One of the many reasons I like 0AD. Because there's no money involved. I did play a bunch of less than legal versions of the iconic RTS and city builder games and played an unholy amount of hours on friends' computers back in the day too, lol. 

Either way, forgive my noobness, for I really am a noob, and I've never hid it. In fact, I embrace it! I'm a filthy casual and I love it! That's also one of the reasons why I'm active on the forums. There's a huge number of casual gamers enjoying 0AD for good reason. It's good fun! But we casuals don't have a voice, because were too in awe by the presence of all these pro's and are too shy to say that we can't figure out our non existent settings on our systems (a lot of macs have one graphics system, or something...), so I'm here to give a voice to the voiceless! We casuals would like some anti aliasing in-game, because we're too dense to figure out our gpu's graphics settings :) 

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

You can turn on AA and AF for the game via your graphics card console, yeah?

I'm not sure how they do it but I would suppose Nvidia  and AMD try to modify the code sent to the GPU to apply the "gpu app" settings. This works for very well known AAA games where they can make custom code to support those games or for games that follow "standard" rendering processes ... seems 0ad isn't one of them given that many settings (at least for Nvidia cards) are just ignored :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nani said:

I'm not sure how they do it but I would suppose Nvidia  and AMD try to modify the code sent to the GPU to apply the "gpu app" settings. This works for very well known AAA games where they can make custom code to support those games or for games that follow "standard" rendering processes ... seems 0ad isn't one of them given that many settings (at least for Nvidia cards) are just ignored :huh:

I have not found 0 A.D. to ignore my NVIDIA settings, but I haven't done much testing on that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well those settings work better for Direct X games.

As I said earlier it's unlikely the console on Mac and Linux for the Nvidia drivers give you as much control as Windows drivers do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...