Crash Win10, Ken Wood

hades11

Hi,

thank you for your great work so far!

I used to play 0 A.D. with an old PC (I7 950, 6GB DDR3 GTX970 Win7) very well, except for some slowdowns in very big games.

Since i changed to my new PC i cant finish a game because it crashs.

New PC:

I7 9700k

16GB DDR4

RTX 2080

Crucial MX500 1TB

Win10

Resolution: 1440x2560, 144FPS, GSync Compatible ON

Grafiktreiber: 419.35

See the "0AD.txt" for the complete text of the error window.

Because it says "not enough Memory"  i made a Screenshot of the Memory used at the time the crash occured. As you can see there is plenty of Memory left. The Games are not that big, i hardly get over 300 Supply (i hope supply is the right word for "Bevölkerungslimit", i only know the german version of the game) in a game with only me and 3 KI on a Giant map. The old PC used to be fine - besides of some performace isues - with me, 7 KI even with 1800 used Supply (from my units alone). All together i´m pretty sure that it is not caused by too big games.

If i hit the "continue" button in the error window i can continue to play for a few minutes before the game finally crashes, this time without any error windows.  If i save the game after the first error and load it new (restarting 0 A.D.) it runs just like i started a new game (this means 10 - 30 Minutes time before the error window shows up). To me it seems as if the Savegame was healthy, but i decided to upload it anyway, maybe you can see more then i.

i also found some graphical issues, but those were easy to fix, i just need to torn off Fog in the graphics menu. Once it was turned of, i can turn it on and everything is fine. I can also fix that by turning OpenGL2.0 shaders of. While this helped me perfectly with the graphical issue it had no effect on the crashes.

I know some errors are not fixed over night and you have also other stuff on your todo-list, so take your time. Just tell me if, and wich aditional information you need.

0AD.PNG

0AD.txt savegame-0003.0adsave

• Like 1

Hello @hades11and welcome to the forum!

I know your error; it has been speculated it could be memory leaking. Unfortunately I don't really have the feeling that there's a solution coming, so I basically sit it out and just hope the next alpha at least will have autosave. :/

Klugschiss:

Spoiler

Bevölkerungslimit = pop(ulation) cap

KI = AI

;)

Here i have the complete logfolder, including the crashlogs.

Thank you for your help with the vocabulary, i really should have known that.

Is this error only occuring on Win10?

If yes i could work around using a dualboot Linux.

For now i test all graphic settings to lowest/off, if it is a memory leak thats caused by a graphical effect this might help. 

EDIT: Since i used an older 0 A.D. version on my old PC i cant tell if this problem is older or just new with Ken Wood. Do you see any chance that switching back to an older 0 A.D. version could help?

I also try some diffrent races, maybe the Memleak is limited to some graphics effect that onnly (or mostly) occures on certain races.

0AD_logs.zip

Edited by hades11

I just had a first success, turning all graphical options except Opengl 2.0 shaders of helped. I just had a game  over 1 hour without a crash. Maybe it´s a faction related problem, all games that crashed i choose Carthaginians, for the working one i had Ptolemies.

Next step for me is to try and figure out if i can play with high graphics and ptolemies without crashes. When i know this i try the older versions to see wich one is the first with crashes.

Of course, i havent done hundreds of games for testing this, so all testing results may be affected by coincidence.