some little suggestions

lecedar

i suggest that all the ships loose 10% of their size

exactly the same but at 90% of their current size

it would solve many problems with their moves and them being stuck and so on , making the sea maps pretty anoying to play sometimes

i dont know if its a realistic suggestion 

also maybe the key J t o repair doesnt seem to work 

great game 0aD , best game ever in my opinion

I suggest that you upgrade the minimum hardware configuration recommended a little also the game is ressource consuming during the battles

Edited by lecedar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fatherbushido said:

The main issues are that maps are a bit too small and that ship needs their own way to mange motion (and perhaps pathfinding) - but that refers to the programming part.

'A bit too small' sounds much too weak for me. The ships are ridiculously oversized and frequently can't reach spots I really think they should be able to. 

One example where ship size and map/world size totally don't match is 'Mediterranean'; the size of the mare nostrum is ok for one or two fishing boats, but a warship can't reach the Adriatic Sea or the Levant or pass the Strait of Gibraltar.

And while pathfinding is a general issue, I feel ships manage to be the dumbest moving units of all. And single ships are bad enough, but if you have two that are crossing paths or want to go by each other... :banger:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

'A bit too small' sounds much too weak for me. The ships are ridiculously oversized and frequently can't reach spots I really think they should be able to. 

Agree. Oversized for the maps (but not for units).

One example where ship size and map/world size totally don't match is 'Mediterranean'; the size of the mare nostrum is ok for one or two fishing boats, but a warship can't reach the Adriatic Sea or the Levant or pass the Strait of Gibraltar. 

Ah ah I like that example because there are those maps (red sea and mediterranean) with a completely different scale. (That's personal taste, but they really don't fit with the other maps - but why not... - I played them sometimes).

And while pathfinding is a general issue, I feel ships manage to be the dumbest moving units of all. And single ships are bad enough, but if you have two that are crossing paths or want to go by each other... :banger:

Ships have indeed their own motion/pathfinding issues (like planes have their own motion/pathfiniding issues).

• Like 1

Right now the ships are in this limbo as far as pathing, gameplay, etc. goes. Folks want units on the decks, but that requires a large ship to look right, and custom ship path pathfinding. But it looks like there is currently no one working on that, but perhaps I'm wrong. 

I think the team should pare down the ship gameplay to its basics and leave large ships and units fighting on deck to some future iteration. This means reducing their size by probably 25% and perhaps go the upgrading AOE method where you have 1 warship line that the player can improve. Ramming could still be included with a double right click charge or some special attack, but things like boarding, soldiers on deck, realistic movements, etc. could be put off til the future when someone comes along to do it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's something I plan on my mod from day one.

I think that reducing 25% of your size already helps. Decrease in size has also solved a problem, many times you can not train a ship on a narrow lake because of size.

Edited by borg-
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, fatherbushido said:

The other things is does it make sense to train a trireme on a river or not?

Depends on the river? Like the lower end of the Thames (where I recently wasn't able to release a (medium?) warship), I think should be ok.

Anyway, I'm no fan at all of the guesswork involved. ('Will I be able to use ships on this river?' 'Will my ship be able to pass if I erase this dock?'...)

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding ship turning, how should it handle obstactles and narrow places. Maybe, if it meets an obstacle, it could back up a bit and attempt again. If that fails, it could attempt a very slow turn on the spot.

If anyone here is familiar with ancient ship navigation, maybe they could post a more realistic system.

Edited by Guest

I did an experiment for ships. (This is just for visualization and as a demo, the majority of the work is left out and since I did this for fun, unlikely anything of value would come out).

Since I did upload it, might as well post that here. (Jitterishness is intended (or rather expected) and is not lag, unlike the screenrecorder’s low quality.)

Spoiler

Edited by Guest
spoiler tag