Shield's Shapes Question

Alexandermb

Question: Due to similitude of shields "spinas/bosses" made for the celtic factions to other factions shields such as: 

Ptol_Thureos_X

Spoiler

image.png

Iberian_X

Spoiler

image.png

Rome_Parma

Spoiler

image.png

Rome_Scutum

Spoiler

image.png

Millenium A.D. or any other Mod

Should spinas/bosses be generic for all? i mean, removing celtic_ prefix, so far i've divided them by texture type following the next schema:

01 - Player Color
02 - White
03 - Default (Wood)

Possibly:

04 - Gold
05 - Iron
06 - Black

Spoiler

image.png

Also for bosses could be:
01 - Iron
02 - Gold
03 - Bronze

@Genava55 they can be recicled to other factions? doing this means: future shields textures updates would use already done work making it faster to do and more shields variants in the future.

Also, should shield shape be renamed from celtic_ to Flat_Oval/Rectangle/Hex/Egg and later add the curvature of other factions shields to recicle the shield meshes globally?

For ex rome faction has scutum_e wich has a mix between oval and flat superior and bottom edges nearly similar to one celtic shield shape:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.png

shields actors can be done such way like:

Flat:
01 - flat_egg
02 - flat_oval_a
03 - flat_oval_b

curved:
01 - curv_egg
02 - curv_oval_a
03 - curv_oval_b

This way not only mesh making would be reduced for future factions shields, but also add the resources for modders whitout 3D knowledge but 2D, to make their own shield textures whitout relying on a 3D User for provide such meshes.

This also means a mod can be done separated for faction modders when pyrogenesis engine split is done by making things likes

Flora pyromod.
Fauna pyromod.
Shields pyromod.

Separated factions pyromod. (kinda like Total War DLC'S) i asume someday modders will end doing "Hellenization mod" Having only hellenic factions highly developed in terms of artwork - coding and things like that.

this also means, having the same mesh globally in some factions (350 Celts sharing the meshes with 250 Romans and 100 Ptolemaic's in a single map) performance could be improved by using geometry instancing (i belive?) am i right? @stanislas69

52 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

they can be recicled to other factions? doing this means: future shields textures updates would use already done work making it faster to do and more shields variants in the future.

Clearly, yes. Shapes are shared by a lot of cultures. In fact the oval and ovalish shields are probably from the Italics and the Etruscans, and got adopted by the Celts during the 6th century BC at the end of the Hallstatt culture. Iberians started to use much more the oval shields because of the Carthaginian, Roman and Celtic influence. The thureos from the Greeks could come from an inspiration took from their experience with Italic and Celtic mercenaries during the 5th and 4th century BC and the following Gallic invasion in the 3rd century BC. 

The shield bosses are more distinctive between the cultures but some can easily be shared. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

Clearly, yes. Shapes are shared by a lot of cultures. In fact the oval and ovalish shields are probably from the Italics and the Etruscans, and got adopted by the Celts during the 6th century BC at the end of the Hallstatt culture. Iberians started to use much more the oval shields because of the Carthaginian, Roman and Celtic influence. The thureos from the Greeks could come from an inspiration took from their experience with Italic and Celtic mercenaries during the 5th and 4th century BC and the following Gallic invasion in the 3rd century BC. 

The shield bosses are more distinctive between the cultures but some can easily be shared. 

Thats all i needed to know, then would rename all the files properly later. 

• Like 1