Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wackyserious

===[COMMITTED]=== Gallic Naked Warrior (Re-design)

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Did they wear helmets @Genava55 it seems awkward to have an helmet when you are naked...

It depends on the reasons why you are naked. It is hard to know if it is a religious thing, a tradition, a habit or anything else. But anyway there are indications for both, with and without:

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stanislas69 said:

Guess it could be an upgrade maybe ?

Isn't it intended to be a special or champion unit? Did champion have upgrade too ? Anyway, regular or champion, both are okay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposed to be a champion but I guess there could be one evolution :)

I wonder though where it will be recruited if the tavern is replaced by the auditorium and what the auditorium will be for. I need to add carnyx maybe shingle roofs and then commit it 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

I wonder though where it will be recruited if the tavern is replaced by the auditorium and what the auditorium will be for.

I could easily imagine the "auditorium", which probably functioned as some sort of assembly building for nobles, as the place where nobles came together to make important decisions, like hiring a bunch of naked fanatics for the upcoming campaign or whatever.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

I wonder though where it will be recruited if the tavern is replaced by the auditorium and what the auditorium will be for. I need to add carnyx maybe shingle roofs and then commit it 

If we consider them as fanatics warriors, they could be recruited from the sanctuary. It will fit nicely I think since the new sanctuary is more warlike than the current one.

The auditorium/assembly should be a third phase building, permitting to recruit the champions, maybe carnyx too, new technologies etc. We know for sure thanks to Caesar that Gallic "senators" and aristocrats fought in the battlefield.

5 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I could easily imagine the "auditorium", which probably functioned as some sort of assembly building for nobles, as the place where nobles came together to make important decisions, like hiring a bunch of naked fanatics for the upcoming campaign or whatever.  

It could be. The only thing is that this kind of building is something developed in the late phase of the La Tène culture, when it was in a urbanization stage. Thus a third phase building. While the Gallic naked warriors are known from the third century BC, before the urbanization, and it is expected to be a second phase unit in the game. Maybe the assembly/auditorium is better suited to unlock regional units (political alliance).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Genava55 said:

If we consider them as fanatics warriors, they could be recruited from the sanctuary. It will fit nicely I think since the new sanctuary is more warlike than the current one.

Now that you mention it, it would be interesting to explain the ritual aspect of their nakedness (I know there's debate about it, but let's be real, it was probably ritual more than anything, no?). It wouldn't be the only civ to recruit a special unit from their temple either.

 

1 hour ago, Genava55 said:

It could be. The only thing is that this kind of building is something developed in the late phase of the La Tène culture, when it was in a urbanization stage. Thus a third phase building. While the Gallic naked warriors are known from the third century BC, before the urbanization, and it is expected to be a second phase unit in the game.

I stand corrected 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, coworotel said:

Are there some pictures of that?

It's still a work in progress. I'll share it in the forum for public scrutiny very soon (it hasn't passed any reviews yet), but the idea is to have an RTS adaptation of an actual Gallic sanctuary, the sanctuary at Gournay-sur-Aronde in particular (but it has parallels in other sanctuaries as well). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Now that you mention it, it would be interesting to explain the ritual aspect of their nakedness (I know there's debate about it, but let's be real, it was probably ritual more than anything, no?). It wouldn't be the only civ to recruit a special unit from their temple either. 

Nakedness from an Indo-European view is something common and is making reference to a kind of animality and natural force. Berserkir are often depicted as naked as well. Nakedness is often associated with homeric warriors and Greek art. 7th and 6th century hoplites are often represented as naked, notably by the Spartans and the Etruscans here, here and here (+bonus). Clearly, the thing has continued by being an artistic license but it seems that it has roots from an older ethos. Greek art, historiography and mythology are full of these archaisms about nakedness and furious warriors.

Less known, exterior from the Indo-European world, some Assyrians warriors have been described as naked enraged warrior in the Tukulti-Ninurta Epic: “They are furious, raging, taking forms strange as Anzu (Assyrian eagle-dragon). They charge forward furiously to the fray without armor, They had stripped off their breastplates, discarded their clothing, They tied up their hair and polished… weapons, The fierce heroic men danced with sharpened weapons. They blasted at one another like struggling lions…”

Nakedness in religious function is also known in India with the gymnosophists (as they were called by the Greeks). But in the case of the Wales mythology, it is making reference to youthfulness and to championship. Irish mythology shows that furious warriors can take any rights through their strength, even women and properties. Tacitus account of the Germanic Chatti suggest the same, where these warriors are sacred, start any battle and have the right to go where they want.

In my opinion, fighting naked is a mean to access to higher position and higher recognition. Maybe it opens the right to enter the retinue of some nobles or some warrior brotherhoods. Probably it was something more common in youth peoples to start their warrior career.

How much it is related to rituals and religion? If we look into the Germanic culture, there are rituals and rites before acting like a heroic warrior. Some kind of oaths to take in front of its comrades, an offering to do, an animal to skin or a dance to perform... there are indications for all of these.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Genava55 said:

The auditorium/assembly should be a third phase building, permitting to recruit the champions, maybe carnyx too, new technologies etc. We know for sure thanks to Caesar that Gallic "senators" and aristocrats fought in the battlefield.

Maybe heroes then. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is possible to make an evolution for the Bariogaisatos:

Basic => no helmet, different haircuts, cape or no cape, medium or tall shields.

Advanced => Montefortino and ciumesti helmets, crested or not crested, cape or no cape, golden torcs, tall shields, shield bosses (umbo)

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png.813657e768aed90ba513592fb844c72b.png

Elite => Port, Mihovo and Foret helmets, crested or not crested, Cape, Golden torcs and armlets, tall shields, shield bosses (umbo)

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Will proceed to commit.

Could I change their stance to hoplite stance? 

It could be a good idea, lets try it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@wackyserious i added a new variant called "Base_spearman_relax_fast" using hoplite idle but jog walking + few fixes to spear being reversed in normal attacks wouldn't mind if i add those tweaks? i felt the movement too exagerated walking being the fastest foot infantry.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...