Sign in to follow this  
ffffffff

Pro games in evening (scheduling games in the evening)

Can someone help making doodle calender for pro gamers making them announce there when they plan to play in the evening - so every one see how many available players to play and a lobby moderator can announce then in the lobby - depending on lets say 3-4 players times are  matching for 30mins and more - scheduling a time when a pro game start. Maybe Moderators can help? (@Hannibal_Barca) (interest from @Boudica @Servo @faction02 @Emperior and others?)

put link from doodle calendar then in announce so we (pro gamers) can apply then.

btw can also be all players of all kind. just they should be grouped by rank or play experience to make adequat games.

is ok?

scheduling by everyone and making game announce would help a lot in planing.

Edited by ffffffff
  • Like 5

so basically we just need a online browser based calendar app where everyone with name just can tell in evening f.e. now i wanna play games with rank xxx for next x hours.

And if enough players told same time or matching in calendar one can arrange easy a match in lobby.

for testing that an online app would be nice if someone know one.

so basically the idea for knowning what player of equal rank wanna play in evening is very good for everyone to schedule games. (also because many always just hanging around in lobby but not actually wanna playing or only observing and no ones know who wanna actually play, so a get together by scheduled time would be nice to have)

I do not see the need for moderator presence in the organization of games in the community's interests.

As @nani said, discord could be a viable option.

There is no official 0 A.D. global discord as we speak either, nor may you presume to create one thus named - unless with the permission of a WFG team member.

(Although I could create one if the Team would agree.) ((and moderate it))

Edited by Hannibal_Barca
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hannibal_Barca said:

There is no official 0 A.D. global discord as we speak either, nor may you presume to create one thus named - unless with the permission of a WFG team member.

(Although I could create one if the Team would agree.) ((and moderate it))

That's technically incorrect. :) There is a Discord but it's invite only for now until legal matters have been settled.

I think "global discord" entails admission of every 0ad player, thus the current discord is not global and it is technically correct. If you wish to press the point then I'll say that since it isn't announced to the public then it isn't an official global one.

Sorry :P

Edited by Hannibal_Barca
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Hannibal_Barca said:

I think "global discord" entails admission of every 0ad player, thus the current discord is not global and it is technically correct. If you wish to press the point then I'll say that since it isn't announced to the public then it isn't an official global one.

Sorry :P

If you connect on IRC your messages are sent to the Discord :) So it's global because IRC is :P

Interesting...what if someone who neither read nor accepted Discord's privacy policy connect to irc and post a message? (genuine question)

I guess that is what's being worked on currently. Although, I guess many (possibly including people who have never read the thing) irc user's messages would have been collected by Discord by now.  (the more "deeper" areas of FOSS and privacy may not like that)

Edited by cloud9
  • Like 1

If you cannot join this discord due to the lack of invite link distributed to the public, it is not a global discord. Whatever is posted there by a bot who monitors a certain site doesn't change anything

Interesting, did people agree to having their data sent to discord without their approval?

Edited by Hannibal_Barca
  • Like 1

This sounds like a good idea. Anyway, it might work better to just keep an updated player activity chart. Imagine grouping players by rank ranges and making a chart showing the number of players in the given group that were online at the given hour. I think this might be enough because there are currently more players that are active regularly, so you usually find an Unknown's, Cesar's, Emperior's or Pudim's host you can join in the evening. Just having a chart like this might give a good hint when the big games usually happen.

Doodle has the advantage of adjusting the timezone to the user's local time. We probably want this feature because I doubt many players would care to fill something up if it required working with timezone offsets. Another problem is that it can feel a bit too binding to tell in advance when you'll be online. I'm afraid this will make people either not fill anything or just make a very rough estimate. Then when a few players are delayed by a few minutes, some others might already give up waiting and go offline again.

I tried using Doodle once when we had to find time for our 2-vs.-2 tournament game. It just didn't work and none of the players filled anything up. Perhaps just the combination of a graph activity chart with a text-based channel to plan big games could serve us best.

• Like 3

doodle didn't work for  me the same. was pretty sad. discord seems to  sound a good solution. maybe there is some gaming activity platform already in the internet. and one can make that of course locally (as mod) and log as chart so you get a history and averages when people appear online and by rank. maybe thats the way it works for now.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 9:22 PM, cloud9 said:

Interesting...what if someone who neither read nor accepted Discord's privacy policy connect to irc and post a message? (genuine question)

I guess that is what's being worked on currently. Although, I guess many (possibly including people who have never read the thing) irc user's messages would have been collected by Discord by now.  (the more "deeper" areas of FOSS and privacy may not like that)

0ad IRC channel is open, any person and specially any bot can monitor and fetch any messages it wants anytime so expecting privacy of your public open messages is a bit far fetched ...

On 2/9/2019 at 12:14 PM, cloud9 said:

Where does informing people their messages would be collected by discord fit in?

Cloud9 told me he is still waiting for an answer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FWIW,  https://www.quakenet.org/privacyhttps://www.quakenet.org/terms, for comparison https://freenode.net/policies. #5308, the first draft for the privacy policy proposal for the IRC service started 20 December 2018 in https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/25154-irc-privacy-policy/ (internal), the bridging to Discord was experimentally enabled in November 2018 https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/25045-matrix-discord/     (internal), also some pages of https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24325-gdpr/ (internal). The channel topic currently contain the information about channel logging and shall be amended with a link to a complete policy. Notice that IRC channel and its logs are public for the purpose of development communication and documentation, so Discord does not gain any private information. Vice versa the discord users shall be informed of  the channel being public and logged, but I heard that's already the case with their policies and room flags, dunno.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 7:24 PM, elexis said:

Notice that IRC channel and its logs are public for the purpose of development communication and documentation, so Discord does not gain any private information

Discord can monetise those information now. Previously, Discord had no ownership of that. But whatever, I am not on those channels.