Support copy paste of hostname or ip address

Pander

One person starts a game. Another would like to join and gets the hostname, IPv4 address and (most importantly for this use case) IPv6 address via a chat from the first person. Entering an IPv6 address manually without copy paste is not very pleasant thing to do. Copy paste hostname and IPv4 is more doable but also saves time and errors via simple copy paste.

Copying in-game can also crash disastrously on *nix.

In fact, if people here thinks it's wise, it maybe better to handle errors locally and gracefully rather than freezing. It would be a few lines as it's easy on Xlib. Not sure how smart doing something like that is.

Edited by cloud9

1 hour ago, elexis said:

Are you just relaying what leper says?

No. I am relaying what the docs say https://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/event-handling/protocol-errors/XSetErrorHandler.html and also from personal experience. I had patched this a couple weeks back since it was just too annoying when trying to copy links in the lobby.

Even if I am, it can be considered as a good thing in most cases.

Edited by cloud9

"Improvements" can be relative. That patch doesn't prevent these errors. It just handles these errors in a way which makes 0AD not crash. That maybe even worse depending on how you see it. But personally, I thought it was an improvement considering the context.

-------

That rarely makes a difference. Looking at stats, just twice (once imo) since April 2018.

Edited by cloud9

7 minutes ago, elexis said:

Looking at stats, I guess someone is confusing Wildfire Games for their personal patchslave.

Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion.

When did I (or anyone else for that matter) tried to "force" WFG to accept/commit their patches?. But people tend to lose motivation to post things in the 10th month if the earlier 9 months were, frankly speaking, a waste of time. I guess I was too enthusiastic. Keep in mind that I am not blaming anybody, I do understand everyone here has a life and a personal todo list. I am just saying it's not something for me, if changing a line or even two characters take months.

And yet, stating these things is somehow "wrong".

What do you think how bloody my knees were sending PMs and begging people to commit who had no interest in the patches throughout 2015? One always had to consider how far one could go with spamming people before they would stop responding and go offline.

If you want something to change, you gotta be that change, noone else can or will do it for you.

Sure, there's a condition to getting commit access, that is mostly leaving a good impression on the members.

Let's get back on topic and stop this side discussion. :-)

@Pander, thank you for your report and welcome to the forums.  Does the workaround of copy/pasting twice work for you?  Hopefully someone can fix this issue in the future.

@cloud9, I would like to leave you with these wise words:

21 hours ago, Imarok said:

If you have a patch that improves copypasting in 0ad, feel free to upload it.

That's basically all it boils down to.  If you do not want to share your patch, that is fine by me, but in that case I would ask you to refrain from taking part in the discussion.  This is an open project; we expect openness from everyone participating in the project, otherwise your contributions are not useful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2