===[TASK]=== Weapons Texture Update

Alexandermb

Today i was making the celtic unit props update, so when we talk about the spears i realized that everything is getting updated but the Weapons texture is still outdate and very low resolution wich make some weapons like swords like rubber toys so here are a few testing (Specially the bloodie weapons).

Wildfire Art department: @LordGood @stanislas69 @wackyserious

Spoiler

wood_1.pngSwords.png

First textures were baked following the prop.weap.dds uv but i will change that to a better space usage and less repeated staffs or blades (Maybe include Aged weapons)

Here the testings on celt sword:

Spoiler

image.png

Comparisson with the spartan sword:

Spoiler

image.png

Maybe with this merge the gladius posted in 2017.

Spear test:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

A little preview of 2k textures because i don't want to burn my pc yet.

Spoiler

image.png

Probably new uv usage:
Right side: Poles
Middle: Swords Handles Or ornamentations (Specially if possible the gladius weapon handle) 
Left Side: Blades (Rusted, Blood Half, Bloodie, Iron,  Gold?)

Spoiler

image.png

@wowgetoffyourcellphone any weapon/blade/shape you have in mind before filling the space ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

I wouldn't recommend having rusted blades in the game.  Soldiers were expected to properly maintain their weapons, which meant sharpening and polishing.  While the presence of blood could be excused on the battlefield, rust less so.

You're right about that most army's had their officers check their soldiers equipment to see if they were fit for battle.

Edited by MythyCool

5 minutes ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

I wouldn't recommend having rusted blades in the game.  Soldiers were expected to properly maintain their weapons, which meant sharpening and polishing.  While the presence of blood could be excused on the battlefield, rust less so.

And the Romans had a specific routine to sharpen and clean their blades before battle.

12 minutes ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Just for prop's purpose, map's having rotten bones of  an army and rused blades because of time.

Like if possible in some time maybe make the celtic helmets in their damaged version when healths drop belows certain amount.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Spartans also did fine maintenance on their war equipment especially their Xiphos and historian's believe they used their sword almost as much as their spears also the Roman Gladius is the Roman equivalent of a Spartans Xiphos. Also the foundation of the Roman culture was mostly based off of the Spartans. The Romans looked up to the Spartans and Julius Cesar's took most of his head officer's on a vacation to Sparta when he was emperor to watch the Spartan game's.

Edited by MythyCool

20 minutes ago, Diatryma said:

it doesn't look like liquid like blood splatter.

Hide contents

the axe look some kind dust/powder.

Axe wasn't supossed to be rendered :P, if i'm not wrong, specularity would also help with the blood look like. let see how it develops when i've made the specular map.

Spoiler

image.pngimage.png

Nope, can't figure yet how to make it drip like the reference.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Spoiler

These references are going to serve you quite well, in my opinion, you should look for the blade of the sword to have some variations, try that the blade is completely polished, those examples that I give, probably use them for elite units and in other cases you should try that it is like the axes that you presented before, dirty and corroded, a little rusty metal would not be bad but only in the edges just to give a little bit of volume and "realistic" detail.

Edited by Diatryma
  • Like 1

Update:

• Added normals and spec map.
  • Updated some spears and javelins
  • Updated the pillum
Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Spears blades updated:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.png

Added more variation based on @Genava55 celtic references.

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Fulham and more variations theres six hilts pers shape 18 in total:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Mainz:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Spatha:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

And pompeii:

Spoiler

image.png

Preview of spears:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Preview of spatha:

Spoiler

image.png

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

i used a reference the time i did those blades following the shape schema.

Update:
Fourth texture (Changed the way the axe is placed and the shape of it):

Reveal hidden contents

weapons_base.png

Maur 2h Axe

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

@Rolf Dew for minotaur but bigger:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

even textures?

Update:

five texture; slightly moved the swords to fill the empty space, added the rope texture into the texture in case a weapon use it later (Bows for ex), Also polished a bit the sword texture for a cleaner and shiny version (Still want to have cubemaps reflections as a material for weapons and helmets reflecting the skybox).

Gonna make two weapon textures, 1 As it is now and Golden version for not having to make multiple meshes for just a golden piece (so modders who need a golden sword just change the texture variant).

Spoiler

weapons_base_gold.png

Prayse the new swords:

Spoiler

image.png

textures:

Spoiler

weapons_base_spec.pngweapons_base.pngweapons_base_norm.png

• Like 2