Roman siege wall, gate & tower decaying in neutral territory

Milovus

So I recently tried to fight as the Roman faction and noticed something when I tried to build the fortified siege camp & siege walls and towers. They all decay back to Gaia. Now, this is not so much a problem HOWEVER. The gatehouse cannot be garrisoned and thus eventually will be lost to either the enemy or to Gaia.

So! Either make the gate house garrisonable or remove decay for gatehouses because using siege gatehouses right now is out of the question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Bump.

I just got burned by this!  I built a nice roman fort in near enemy territory towards the outside of the map.  With forest on one side of the camp, I built a siege wall from the forest to the edge of the map.  Then as I'm fighting and winning against the opponent in their territory I realize my siege units are just sitting there in front of the siege wall because the walls turned to Gaia and can't get out of the gate.  I ended up losing and that may have turned the tide of the battle.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philip the Swaggerless said:

Bump.

I just got burned by this!  I built a nice roman fort in near enemy territory towards the outside of the map.  With forest on one side of the camp, I built a siege wall from the forest to the edge of the map.  Then as I'm fighting and winning against the opponent in their territory I realize my siege units are just sitting there in front of the siege wall because the walls turned to Gaia and can't get out of the gate.  I ended up losing and that may have turned the tide of the battle.  

I remember my first time when they added this mechanic.

5 minutes ago, Nescio said:

In my 0abc mod I've removed capture points, territory decay, and territory influence from all walls (palisades, siege walls, stone city walls). I'm not saying 0ad should do the same, but it would solve issues such as this.

So there is no choice but to destroy walls? Wouldn't this makes the enemy can't be defeated unless you destroy all walls?

13 minutes ago, azayrahmad said:

So there is no choice but to destroy walls? Wouldn't this makes the enemy can't be defeated unless you destroy all walls?

Walls aren't conquest critical, you can simply ignore them. And you can kill soldiers on long and medium walls without having to destroy the walls.

When fighting the Iberians AI in 0ad the quickest way is typically to send in a couple of rams through the enemy gates (there are constantly units going in and out) and destroy their centre; afterwards you can watch the AI deleting its walls because of territory decay; not really realistic, if you ask me.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 6:22 AM, Nescio said:

afterwards you can watch the AI deleting its walls because of territory decay; not really realistic, if you ask me.

I hate this aspect of the AI (I also hate the way capturing in general is setup). All of a sudden, the AI will delete 20 houses all at the same time, and no human player would do that (or at least their attention would likely be elsewhere). It also robs the human player of the hard-earned benefit of capturing those buildings. I honestly think it all needs to be rethought. Truly. 

• Like 2