Participating in GSoC 2019

Google Summer of Code is a global program focused on bringing more student developers into open source software development. Students work with an open source organization on a 3 month programming project during their break from school. 
Currently GSoC19 is in organizations applying phase and I think 0AD will find it useful to participate this year.

The biggest trouble with GSoC is that it's hard to find someone who has got the time to be a mentor for the student/s. In principle it's certainly something we think is useful though, it's just not been possible in practice so far. Maybe someone will have more time this year though, I don't know :)

• Like 1

Thanks feneur for you reply.

I surely don't know who could be the chosen mentors and how much time each one would have but I'd like to bring to your attention that many organizations actually states in their SoC projects pages that the mentors will not have much time and actually enforces it as an eligibility criterion to students applying, that the student would be able to adapt to this. 

Furthermore, many organizations actually selects their students from their active contributors who may not qualify as mentors. Such students would even require less time to mentor.

I know this would not actually make a huge impact but I just thought to share.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mina said:

Furthermore, many organizations actually selects their students from their active contributors who may not qualify as mentors. Such students would even require less time to mentor.

Interesting...how much does this pay again? :P

[/non-serious post]

If WFG got someone willing and able (time wise) to be a mentor, I don’t see why 0AD should not apply. Who knows...maybe one of those students might even decide to keep contributing.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:57 PM, Itms said:

We have applied, and we will share an announcement to look for students if we are accepted :)

Thanks for starting the thread @Mina, that matched the plans perfectly!

Great news @Itms! Happy to have had a very small part in this and looking forward to your acceptance.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

@Mina unfortunately our application was not accepted. They were pretty vague as to why they just said they had too many applications.

I know from Terasology that they applied several years in a row before they were accepted the first time, and after that they were every year IIRC. Sounds a bit like a hidden queue for newcomers. But persistence will pay off probably...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

@Mina unfortunately our application was not accepted. They were pretty vague as to why they just said they had too many applications.

Although this is unfortunate but it's definitely a firm step towards getting accepted. I totally agree with @Palaxin  and also would like to add that even organisations that have been accepted for multiple years in a row sometimes get rejected for a year. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...