Worker elephant issues

odalman

I tried to use the mauryan worker elephant and 8 citizen soldiers to form a woodcutting task force on a map with single trees evenly spaced (sahel kind of map). I selected the soldiers and rightclicked on a tree. Then I selected the elephant and G-rightclicked on one of the soldiers. It sort of worked; the elepant followed the workers to the tree, and when it was depleted, to the next tree. However, there were 2 issues:

1. The elephant does not go close enough to the tree, so the soldiers have to carry the wood needlessly far. (If the soldier that the elephant is set to follow happens to go to the far side of the tree to find a place to chop, that will make the elephant go closer.)

2. Eventually the soldiers will disagree which tree to chop next. They will diverge and those that do not agree with the one that has the elephant following him will have to walk furter and further.

Any ideas how to make this smarter? Following someone closer is perhaps just a matter of changing a magic number somewhere. Telling a soldier to follow another soldier that is chopping wood just makes the first soldier stand nearby and watch. Maybe follow should be interpreted as "follow and do whatever he does". When selecting the next tree, maybe take the distance to the nearest dropsite into consideration? (Now it just seems to select the closest tree from where the soldier was standing when he chopped the previous tree.)

Edited by odalman
  • Like 1