The multiplayer game lobby needs more moderators

ibos

In the past few months the couple of usually active moderators like elexis and hannibal_barca were mostly offline more than half the day and when active then usually at the same time, and alot of people were in need of a moderator because of players disconnecting from rated games for example. It would help if the lobby had more moderators. I'm willing to be one myself (kim_jong_un) but if you don't want me to become one then I would suggest other respected players that don't do silly stuff. People besides me that I would recommend: faction, emperior, mord.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ibos said:

In the past few months the couple of usually active moderators like elexis and hannibal_barca were mostly offline more than half the day and when active then usually at the same time, and alot of people were in need of a moderator because of players disconnecting from rated games for example. It would help if the lobby had more moderators. I'm willing to be one myself (kim_jong_un) but if you don't want me to become one then I would suggest other respected players that don't do silly stuff. People besides me that I would recommend: faction, emperior, mord.

elexis and barca are perfect moderators no need moar

PS triumvir too !

Edited by thankforpie
  • Confused 2

I agree that the lobby could use an extra moderator or two who would cover American and Asian gaming times. Primarily for chat moderation, they would be able to assist in the processing of reports and other administrative issues.

However, those with a tarnished record featuring multiple issues with administrative authorities or those who are temperamentally unsuitable  to the position need not apply.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Hannibal_Barca said:

However, those with a tarnished record featuring multiple issues with administrative authorities or those who are temperamentally unsuitable  to the position need not apply.

-.- well, there goes that too.

• 2 weeks later...

(IMO the solution to leaving rated games - for whatever reason - is to make that player lose, no moderation needed. If your car breaks in a race you lose it - has been done for decades and noone seemed to have problems with it. That doesn't mean moderators are not useful in other cases! I'd prefer people getting along with each other but - I can dream quite vividly I guess ^^)

• Like 1

I think the dev should not refuse those who wants to volunteer if they really qualify. It’s free service and hope they don’t abuse it.

I think faction02 and Kim_jong_un are good candidates for consideration because imo they are really moderates :mellow:, and OPdim as well to cater to not so good English speaking Spanish players. So we can have German, maybe Asian and Español extra mods. 

• Like 1

Thanks, @cloud9, I wasn't aware of that (maybe I forgot).

As long as that model of trust remains (which I have nothing against in particular but the many reports indicate that the assumption players are trustworthy is false) don't rate games for we don't have the means implemented to with reasonable certainty decide who has won in the first place.

EDIT: IMO it's not at all a good idea to support those lying - and we do this by design ATM. Moderators won't solve this.

2 minutes ago, FeXoR said:

don't rate games for we don't have the means implemented to with reasonable certainty decide who has won in the first place.

Or..the means could be implemented. That particular model could be greatly improved by adding a neutral third party.

I just posted the title. Although, it would be nice if the bot could identify copyrighted material. Unlikely considering what happened in this case.

[deviation from the topic]

I did not violate any copyright laws. I wouldn’t say the same about all the height-maps in maps/scenario/ since all (or some (or maybe none, I didn't check that much)) those were commited without any additional information of the source and may very well be violating copyright laws.

[/deviation from the topic]

Edited by cloud9
  • Like 1

Posting the title of a book and the author is not violating any copyright :) (yet :()

So being muted for this would be unfortunate.

Poor judgement is not unique to bots, though. Human moderators will also make decisions judged as poorly thought through by others from time to time, even if chosen carefully.

Considering the heightmaps: AFAIK @elexis checked the sources and removed those not compatible to our license or if our right to use them was questionable. If you notice a copyright violation, please let us know!

Talking about the files added in r12515, r12792, r12454, r13764 and r12381 (and maybe the modifications done to that in r12598).

8 hours ago, FeXoR said:

If you notice a copyright violation, please let us know! 

I can't be sure if it is in fact a copyright violation as I was unable to find the source of those heightmaps (or the licenses). I think a skirmish map's heightmap was deleted recently due to the same issue.