Borg Expansion Pack Mod Release V 1.0.5

borg-

2 hours ago, theotherhiveking_ said:

I was doing some experiments in Atlas -- trying to improve my borg's mod skills -- and this happened:

archers.gif.7992aa293aa940aee1f00e6b1d2b021b.gif

It was obvious that the spearmen would lose, but their defeat was much more hilarious than what I expected.

The rank upgrade request of archer is the same as that provided by spearmen. Its happens if archers attacked one unit each.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, borg- said:

Not yet in github, sorry for this.

Final version comming next weak, so I'll put it in github.

I test the svn version , I play there, the But is incompatible with the mod. I test this yesterday.

this the main technical issue.

the other issue is gameplay the fact of spamming cavalry, the look nomads tribes. I counter them with pikeman. the other is spamming of strong rams, are like thanks even powerful Cataphracts can't handle this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I test the svn version , I play there, the But is incompatible with the mod. I test this yesterday.

this the main technical issue.

the other issue is gameplay the fact of spamming cavalry, the look nomads tribes. I counter them with pikeman. the other is spamming of strong rams, are like thanks even powerful Cataphracts can't handle this.

It is incompatible with the svn version because has changed the UnitMotion. To work, need to change UnitMotion on templates and probably on auras, techs too.

About gameplay, are you talking about AI spam rams and cavalry?

Edited by borg-

8 minutes ago, borg- said:

It is incompatible with the svn version because has changed the UnitMotion. To work, need to change UnitMotion on templates and probably on auras, techs too.

About gameplay, are you talking about AI spam rams and cavalry?

yes I recorded that yesterday. I spamming pikemen and some siege engines to counter them. was easy. the rconomy is complex that ie very strong point.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

yes I recorded that yesterday. I spamming pikemen and some siege engines to counter them. was easy. the rconomy is complex that ie very strong point.

I would not know how to change that. And I also can not make these changes in mod. I need someone to see this for me. AI not make range barrack/ranged units, at least in some test games I did, perhaps this is a fact of AI spam more cavalry.

About rams, compared to vanilla i decreases pierce armour 50 to 30, health 400 to 350 and movement speed. Infantry in general and mainly sword champions should do it very well, but the problem is that not all factions have champ swordmen, so I'll have to find another way to do it. I'll do some testing. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by borg-
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Basshunter said:

Show one who matches the 0AD slingers speed! 10 stones per sec :)

Yeah, the speed of the attack animations for slingers as well as archers needs to be brought down to more realistic levels. I'd say a reduction of at least 50%... Even if it means increasing the damage to compensate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Directly from the Design Document:

• Accurate History - All our content is validated by our History Department to ensure that it is true to source wherever possible (unless it negatively affects gameplay).
  • Citizen Soldiers - There will be no standard villager unit. Instead, regular infantry and cavalry have not only military capabilities, but also economic, making them substantially more versatile than in typical RTS games.

Therefore, the implementation of a new "counter system" and allowing women to build military buildings - both of these out completely out of scope.  This is not just a "mod" - it's an entirely different game.  This mod should never become a part of vanilla 0ad.  Only the things that "negatively affect gameplay" should be changed, all else needs to be preserved.

15 minutes ago, StopKillingMe said:

• Accurate History - All our content is validated by our History Department to ensure that it is true to source wherever possible (unless it negatively affects gameplay).
  • Citizen Soldiers - There will be no standard villager unit. Instead, regular infantry and cavalry have not only military capabilities, but also economic, making them substantially more versatile than in typical RTS games.

Therefore, the implementation of a new "counter system" and allowing women to build military buildings - both of these out completely out of scope.  This is not just a "mod" - it's an entirely different game.  This mod should never become a part of vanilla 0ad.  Only the things that "negatively affect gameplay" should be changed, all else needs to be preserved.

You have an opinion. That's great. Some of us we have another vision how the game should be,  that is great as well.

But then there're the devs, the guys that finally have any last word. I have been wording for some years that the game should review the gameplay and try to do a cohesive vision, because in my personal totally subjective opinion, the game was designed with an addition of ramshackle features that some blend well, others don't. But because I really haven't don't so much work, kudos to the dev team that carry forward this project. And we've  to keep in mind that the game isn't finished at all: for example formations would change everything.

The design document says a lot of things, with an actual counter system that is not implemented right now, and it's very intricated. It says also that the civs should have only 2 champs, seasons, provinces. Sticking to the defense of that It doesn't have sense at all, currently, it's being revisited. For me citizen soldier concept have a lot of problems that have been wrotten down for years.

At least in the forums, there's some consensus, hard to measure, that Borg mod is accepted. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not, but I just don't understand that so much hostility against him. We all get that you are against their mod and you don't approve their merge in vanilla.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, StopKillingMe said:

• you know that is outdated? that's related with my reply in the other post.
  • the game ban many counters in A16. so actually is a enterily different game.
  • @DarcReaver Makes a review about actual gameplay.
  • Delenda Est follows more that idea and discarded other by gamewise.
  • not your decision.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, av93 said:

You have an opinion. That's great. Some of us we have another vision how the game should be,  that is great as well.

But then there're the devs, the guys that finally have any last word. I have been wording for some years that the game should review the gameplay and try to do a cohesive vision, because in my personal totally subjective opinion, the game was designed with an addition of ramshackle features that some blend well, others don't. But because I really haven't don't so much work, kudos to the dev team that carry forward this project. And we've  to keep in mind that the game isn't finished at all: for example formations would change everything.

The design document says a lot of things, with an actual counter system that is not implemented right now, and it's very intricated. It says also that the civs should have only 2 champs, seasons, provinces. Sticking to the defense of that It doesn't have sense at all, currently, it's being revisited. For me citizen soldier concept have a lot of problems that have been wrotten down for years.

At least in the forums, there's some consensus, hard to measure, that Borg mod is accepted. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not, but I just don't understand that so much hostility against him. We all get that you are against their mod and you don't approve their merge in vanilla.

I disagree with the concept of rolling up a mod into vanilla, not just the borg mod, but any mod.  I believe that the design document should be followed as closely as possible, at least until there is a Beta release.  There is no reason to try to rework everything at this stage of the development of 0ad, other than some peoples personal desires.  Personal desires should not drive development at this stage, the original vision of the game that has been so carefully documented should.  Deciding that women should suddenly get to start building barracks is out of scope, you can try to use the word hostility to describe the reality of me pointing that out all you want, it still won't change the fact that this is a change that should be in a mod only, and most certainly not in Alpha or Beta 0ad.  That has nothing to do with hostility whatsoever.

15 minutes ago, StopKillingMe said:

I believe that the design document should be followed as closely as possible

Is oudated. please, 

20 minutes ago, StopKillingMe said:

you can try to use the word hostility to describe the reality of me pointing that out all you want, 

somebody tell him.

16 minutes ago, StopKillingMe said:

There is no reason to try to rework everything at this stage of the development of 0ad,

we rework everything, welcome to the project.

17 minutes ago, StopKillingMe said:

the original vision of the game that has been so carefully documented should. 

more than a decade ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, StopKillingMe said:

This is funny, because you can also build all buildings with women in the vanilla. You can start building with men and only use women to build. This means that the vanilla is also wrong compared to the design document. This seems illogical to me, you can build but cant start a construction with women.

And I made that change just because several players asked me to do that. Valirhant, feld, stock etc..

Edited by borg-
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, borg- said:

This is funny, because you can also build all buildings with women in the vanilla. You can start building with men and only use women to build. This means that the vanilla is also wrong compared to the design document. This seems illogical to me, you can build but cant start a construction with women.

And I made that change just because several players asked me to do that. Valirhant, feld, stock etc..

I never understood why we limited women to only some buildings when it's possible to plop them with soldiers and build them with women. No that topic specifically, I'd commit a diff right away.

1 hour ago, wraitii said:

I never understood why we limited women to only some buildings when it's possible to plop them with soldiers and build them with women. No that topic specifically, I'd commit a diff right away.

Actually we discussed with @Itms IRL and that's something that always bothered us, also, it's incredibly sexist. After D1955 villagers will be able to be a mix of men and women so if we do want two separate types of citizen it will be possible

D1955 Will allow the game to switch visual actors from male to female at run time randomly (one will also be able to specify more genders), and update the sound accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stan` said:

Actually we discussed with @Itms IRL and that's something that always bothered us, also, it's incredibly sexist. After D1955 villagers will be able to be a mix of men and women so if we do want two separate types of citizen it will be possible

D1955 Will allow the game to switch visual actors from male to female at run time randomly (one will also be able to specify more genders), and update the sound accordingly.

I think it would be more interesting if we could train women or men of our choice. Men would have collecting statuses like citizen-soldiers, better in wood, stone, and metal, women in collecting food. This makes the player have to make some more decisions.