Borg Expansion Pack Mod Release V 1.0.5

borg-

1 hour ago, Angen said:

you might tweak attack range and query range to be identical

If you are referring to the query in "IDLE" state, that would be unwise. Keep in mind that most millitary units idle would not be in a standground stance and logically, they should go after any units that enter their vision range.

I guess the actual solution would be to add a few more checks in there.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:09 PM, borg- said:

I have as main objective that this patch / mod is implemented to the a24, if this is the desire of the majority.

For example FeldFeld mentioned that the patch contains multiple changes to the same line (consistency changes and selective balancing changes), so some edits are not recoverable anymore (overwritten) and would have to be redone to split it.

Other than features overwriting the same line making it hard to split, there's also the problem that there are many different changes that will be some work to split.

The mod is created for alpha 23, but the same files have already been modified for alpha 24, so they will also need to be updated with these changes.

So if you really want this to be committed to 0 A.D. alpha 24, then you have to stop accumulating features and get them committed one at a time before adding more (which means splitting features into logically distinct changes).

I had asked ValihrAnt, nani, ITRELLES, Emperior, Boudicca who testplayed it in the lobby and the feedback seems as conclusively at expected in the best case. The only concerns raised so far were possible imbalances (quantiatively), but the direction wasn't sincerely contested yet (so that's inconclusive for now, but also no feature-blockers were found so far).

I would like to see a chart that shows which unit counters which other unit, like the one here https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22742-my-idea-for-counter-system/&tab=comments#comment-336006. That should also become visible to players ingame ideally, so it's not knowledge that is timeconsuming to gain.

Then one can do the '(historic) reality check', try to find units with missing counters (OP units) and determine the effects that this patch must have on games and judge it whether it is really an improvement and the best improvement.

23 minutes ago, elexis said:

For example FeldFeld mentioned that the patch contains multiple changes to the same line (consistency changes and selective balancing changes), so some edits are not recoverable anymore (overwritten) and would have to be redone to split it.

Other than features overwriting the same line making it hard to split, there's also the problem that there are many different changes that will be some work to split.

The mod is created for alpha 23, but the same files have already been modified for alpha 24, so they will also need to be updated with these changes.

So if you really want this to be committed to 0 A.D. alpha 24, then you have to stop accumulating features and get them committed one at a time before adding more (which means splitting features into logically distinct changes).

I had asked ValihrAnt, nani, ITRELLES, Emperior, Boudicca who testplayed it in the lobby and the feedback seems as conclusively at expected in the best case. The only concerns raised so far were possible imbalances (quantiatively), but the direction wasn't sincerely contested yet (so that's inconclusive for now, but also no feature-blockers were found so far).

I would like to see a chart that shows which unit counters which other unit, like the one here https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22742-my-idea-for-counter-system/&tab=comments#comment-336006. That should also become visible to players ingame ideally, so it's not knowledge that is timeconsuming to gain.

Then one can do the '(historic) reality check', try to find units with missing counters (OP units) and determine the effects that this patch must have on games and judge it whether it is really an improvement and the best improvement.

We found only two unbalanced units so far, priests and bolts. Already been fixed in the new version 1.0.1, just waiting itsm release in mod.io. I'm currently working on 1.0.2, improving the base of the units and balancing is even better.

The hardest part is to make this work on a24, since some files have already been changed, but with some time I could do that perfectly.

Edited by borg-
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, destro said:

and i wonder who drawing this beautiful background art!! it's so beautiful!!

one of 0.a.d art team drawing this??imageproxy.php?img=&key=4309c155facf0c1f

멋져.png

3 hours ago, Sundiata said:

@pedro_blanco, you have another fan :) 

More images like this for Athens, Rome, Alesia, Persepolis, Carthage, Alexandria, would be awesome. I reeeally like how the artist incorporated the game's existing architecture models into the artwork. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I am curious in which way these were unbalanced.

The real problem of the priest is not in his base/status but in his promotion, gain +5 heal hp per rank, then 3 - 4 priests at maximum rank could heal a unic unit very quickly.

What I did was to change the value of heal hp 5 by 2 and increase the required xp for the next rank.

About bolts, i decrease your training time in the mod, along with its high damage, caused a spam. So I reduce the base damage from 150 to 120 and returned their base training time.

Edited by borg-

2 hours ago, av93 said:

Finally I got internet to download the mod, but sadly my wifi range doesnt reach my pc... I will test the game against the AI...

I found my counter proposal, if it's there some idea that could help

All help is welcome, I'll look, tnx so much av93

The mod works really well and imo very much better than the vanilla. The average game time could obviously extend to at least 30 minutes or more. Tbh counter system doesn’t bother me at all or OP this and that since most players choose their civs  

This mod diminishes a very early rush since CS can’t be trained anymore from the CC and requires specific military structures to train specific units. This extra specific structures bring additional flavor to the game as well as additional strategic tinkering. I already played the mod using SP for long hours but the lack of new and really good maps bring me back to MP lobby. 

So far the AI Petra has a very good and really promising behavior which means it retains its level like in vanilla producing huge and challenging armies depending on it’s difficulty.

As in many gameplay discussions in the forum I am always into a more realistic behavior. Behaviors that should make the game not a man spam or fast click skills. Behaviors that make the game addictive not just in MP gaming POV but more on the SP gaming POV. A game that can have a lively kingdom bases and natural environmental occurrence. 

Yet I would recommend that

- Each same types of military producing structures must be spaced far apart considerably so as to limit spamming and it’s building too (should maximize to 4 within one CC meaning it could only be built maximum on 4 quadrants). 

- Next CC can’t be built too far from own border.

- Markets, temples (should be spaced apart too) and blacksmith should be available soon in P1 with limited techs.

- Realistic resources sharing and barter. Need able to have roads and dirt roads.

- Realistic arming using supply wagons and no more infinite arrows and javelins and stones for all units. 2nd weapon is nice.

- taunts and flaring ally to minimize message sending through typing. RoN style is best.

- No more phasing as it doesn’t make sense. Border expands as structures are built. New technology and new buildings appear after another or with preceding techs. 

- Make some real medics. Priest shouldn’t be OP but should give boost rather than healing and can’t wander in the frontline. 

- Units should be more tougher but can’t fight or should be down at less than 50% HP and below can’t inflict heavy damage to opponents. I want to see falling soldiers in the battle and them obstructing the movement of the units. 

- Good animations in the military structures when a unit/s are being trained/made. 

- Towers, forts, outposts, CCs, colonies, siege towers should not fire projectiles if no range units are garrisoned. Projectiles fired depends on range units garrisoned. Ships should behave the same way, can’t sail if not manned with minimum numbers. Garrisoned units must still sustain damage from range or crush weapons.

- Need some brothel or ale houses and maybe monuments. 

Lastly an automatic production of men and women from immigrants, houses or CC. These are the units that can be either trained as soldiers or workers when they are sent to specific training structures. Military units sent and trained from military structures. Workers are trained from farmstead, nearest dropsite (different types of workers for wood, stone and metal). Citizen soldiers must come from workers and mercenaries from immigrants/gaia (need another monetary resources or maybe promise of food and land). Still dreaming...

THe inclusion of other NEw Civs  from other mods like Byzantine, Anglo Saxon, Norse from Mil AD etc are good features even if not within the time frame but can be toggled in the options. Terra Magna too!

Edited by Servo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Servo said:

The mod works really well and imo very much better than the vanilla. The average game time could obviously extend to at least 30 minutes or more. Tbh counter system doesn’t bother me at all or OP this and that since most players choose their civs  

This mod diminishes a very early rush since CS can’t be trained anymore from the CC and requires specific military structures to train specific units. This extra specific structures bring additional flavor to the game as well as additional strategic tinkering. I already played the mod using SP for long hours but the lack of new and really good maps bring me back to MP lobby. 

So far the AI Petra has a very good and really promising behavior which means it retains its level like in vanilla producing huge and challenging armies depending on it’s difficulty.

As in many gameplay discussions in the forum I am always into a more realistic behavior. Behaviors that should make the game not a man spam or fast click skills. Behaviors that make the game addictive not just in MP gaming POV but more on the SP gaming POV. A game that can have a lively kingdom bases and natural environmental occurrence. 

Yet I would recommend that

- Each same types of military producing structures must be spaced far apart considerably so as to limit spamming and it’s building too (should maximize to 4 within one CC meaning it could only be built maximum on 4 quadrants). 

- Next CC can’t be built too far from own border.

- Markets, temples (should be spaced apart too) and blacksmith should be available soon in P1 with limited techs.

- Realistic resources sharing and barter. Need able to have roads and dirt roads.

- Realistic arming using supply wagons and no more infinite arrows and javelins and stones for all units. 2nd weapon is nice.

- taunts and flaring ally to minimize message sending through typing. RoN style is best.

- No more phasing as it doesn’t make sense. Border expands as structures are built. New technology and new buildings appear after another or with preceding techs. 

- Make some real medics. Priest shouldn’t be OP but should give boost rather than healing and can’t wander in the frontline. 

- Units should be more tougher but can’t fight or should be down at less than 50% HP and below can’t inflict heavy damage to opponents. I want to see falling soldiers in the battle and them obstructing the movement of the units. 

- Good animations in the military structures when a unit/s are being trained/made. 

- Towers, forts, outposts, CCs, colonies, siege towers should not fire projectiles if no range units are garrisoned. Projectiles fired depends on range units garrisoned. Ships should behave the same way, can’t sail if not manned with minimum numbers. Garrisoned units must still sustain damage from range or crush weapons.

- Need some brothel or ale houses and maybe monuments. 

Lastly an automatic production of men and women from immigrants, houses or CC. These are the units that can be either trained as soldiers or workers when they are sent to specific training structures. Military units sent and trained from military structures. Workers are trained from farmstead, nearest dropsite (different types of workers for wood, stone and metal). Citizen soldiers must come from workers and mercenaries from immigrants/gaia (need another monetary resources or maybe promise of food and land). Still dreaming...

THe inclusion of other NEw Civs  from other mods like Byzantine, Anglo Saxon, Norse from Mil AD etc are good features even if not within the time frame but can be toggled in the options. Terra Magna too!

Tnx u feedback Servo!!!

Thanks for your ideas, I'm working hard to try to diversify and make the game even more fun.

1. Did any of vanilla or borg team thought about adding tiredness of troops? When it comes to troops I doubt army in reality would be able to fight non stop until the death like a zombies.

2. It would be nice to see troops building tents / camps while resting and small sets of fire to keep them warm. Ofcourse while they are doing that ur food goes minus .

3. Barracks what I hate about them is that.... somehow they jump out of barracks from any direction instead of simply walking out of barracks using front entrance / back entrance  (if there is any)

4. Everyone is hyped for soldiers doing eco in our matches. That's great idea but I never seen a soldier in full armor gathering wood, did you? ..... Probobably u could see but whatever.. Troops while on eco should have their armor , weapons with them. Lets say they would need to get slaves or at least go in to barracks and grab their stuff. Someone raiding? Be careful, leave some troops to protect ur eco. Spear vs raiders work great isnt it @borg-

5. Season winter, summer etc would be amazing addition to the maps/game itself on the same map.

About eles and cav fighting I already explained whats my issue with these to Borg and few others so pointless to explain once more. (more like I don't want to repeat myself once more lol) Some ideas may seem crazy but I think definitively some of them would add realitic gameplay.

Edited by Emperior
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Emperior said:

1. Did any of vanilla or borg team thought about adding tiredness of troops? When it comes to troops I doubt army in reality would be able to fight non stop until the death like a zombies.

Packed with direction trait differentiation and co.

33 minutes ago, Emperior said:

2. It would be nice to see troops building tents / camps while resting and small sets of fire to keep them warm. Ofcourse while they are doing that ur food goes minus .

Upkeep has always been considered, guess people don't want to handle negative food.

34 minutes ago, Emperior said:

3. Barracks what I hate about them is that.... somehow they jump out of barracks from any direction instead of simply walking out of barracks using front entrance / back entrance  (if there is any)

Recent feature "exit wherever rallypoint is" doesn't help this

35 minutes ago, Emperior said:

4. Everyone is hyped for soldiers doing eco in our matches. That's great idea but I never seen a soldier in full armor gathering wood, did you? ..... Probobably u could see but whatever.. Troops while on eco should have their armor , weapons with them. Lets say they would need to get slaves or at least go in to barracks and grab their stuff. Someone raiding? Be careful, leave some troops to protect ur eco. Spear vs raiders work great isnt it @borg-

everyone wants this, or at least says so

35 minutes ago, Emperior said:

5. Season winter, summer etc would be amazing addition to the maps/game itself on the same map.

last thing i heard, @(-_-) was working on dynamic in-game terrain change. Probably gave up

38 minutes ago, Emperior said:

About eles and cav fighting I already explained whats my issue with these to Borg and few others so pointless to explain once more. (more like I don't want to repeat myself once more lol) Some ideas may seem crazy but I think definitively some of them would add realitic gameplay.

Tnx feedback Emperior!!!

2- I already have the tent ready at the moment, it can be built only in neutral territory, and serves as a "hospital" for units;

3- It was like this in the past alpha, but it is necessary and important in strategy games, several players asked for it;

About eles, i get off the bonus vs cavs xD

cya

8 minutes ago, Hannibal_Barca said:

last thing i heard, @(-_-) was working on dynamic in-game terrain change. Probably gave up

"If this sounds like a desirable feature, all I can say is to commandeer, make the relevant changes and commit." ~ (-_-)

There might still be hope. (these two statements applies to all I posted there)

Edited by Guest