2020 Art Wishlist

Stan`

I'm creating this thread as something I've been wanting to do for quite some time now. The goal is to receive community feedback on things they'd like us (The Art department) to give attention to for the year 2019.

Disclaimer: Voicing your opinion here doesn't mean things will get done, but I hope it will allow me to see what the community wants. Do not hesitate to voice other people ideas that could be expressed on the lobby for instance

IMPORTANT. I will not answer any comments related to adding new civs. Any such comment will be removed/edited. I know that's something you really want, but I can't give you satisfaction on it. If this topic becomes a bloodbath, It will be locked.

IMPORTANT2: Do not post references here. Only text, if you need to ask for something specific make a thread and link it here.

I will likely spend a lot of my time this year doing administrative stuff, like checking commits and answering the forums, but I still have some stuff I'd like to do on the eye candy for the game and the mapmakers, as well as some code too, to allow a deeper sound ambiance, working together with @Samulis I might also finish recording voices for the Kushites :) I also have the mods to attend to, and my personal one (Dwarves, go check the pictures on moddb)  that I hope to finish this coming year.

Tagging the art department @Alexandermb @wackyserious @LordGood @Enrique 

Ah, and finally, please do not make me regret this.

Here is my current task list.

■ Finished

■ In progress

■ Canceled

■ Not started

• Commit Resource Supply cleanup
  • Get Lordgood to release his sharpshooter hack
  • Commit the gaul theatron and
  • Make trompetin17 review the bundle fix that fixes TLS for everyone
  • Create and record a tutorial to explain prop points on blender.
  • Find why exporting the rein model in blender doesn’t work for the boar. Fixed Needed some tweaks in the export plugin thanks Alexandermb
  • Rotate pikemen shield from 80 degrees or so.
  • Commit the warning fixes for atlas and tests.
  • Get someone to review the changes on Kushites background patch
  • Make a presentation for the Afgral
  • Seed random sounds so that units always play the same tone individually
  • Figure out how Enrique made the parallax map for the Chinese.
  • Make a presentation for Avanade
  • Get reviews and commit Counter tech bonuses (D1782)
  • Get reviews and commit Mikktspace Cleanup (D1872)
  • Get reviews and commit Rally point Cleanup. (D1682)
  • Learn about Jenkins and CI
  • Allow male and female to share the same template but use different sounds.
  • Create a blender script to import a specific model, with all props, with copy transform constraints, with all textures.
  • Give an interview with Picasoft
  • Start the socket patch to allow mines on resources and many more (D2382)
  • Review and commit non problematic Nescio's patches
  • Either finish #2577 or convince @bb_ to do it. Convinced @Freagarach (D1958)
  • Get reviews and commit the resource decay growth patch (D1718)
  • Create all missing foundations variants
  • Update the art design document (Images are still missing)
  • WW2 mod
  • Germanic Buildings
  • New UI Icons
  • Finish the bear with @Alexandermb (Needs template adjustements)
  • Finish the partridge with @Alexandermb
  • Release Hyrule on mod.io
  • Make all the placeholders for stella artis (https://github.com/0ADMods/stella_artis)
  • Elves mod (Import @Andrettin's models)
  • Record Kushites voices using IPA
  • Find a way to remove unused false positives from checkrefs.pl
  • Get optimization patches committed.
  • Commit BigTiger's flora when it’s done 
  • Release a first version of the dwarfs mod
  • Pirate mod
  • Make some of the features wanted by Hyrule Conquest. (Lasers, Aqueducts, Glow...)
  • Commit art from the eyecandy mod
  • Get reviews and commit Fcollada patches
  • Get reviews and commit Timer Cleanup (D1776)
  • Get reviews and commit the RC file for Pyrogenesis (D1338)
  • Get reviews and commit WayPoints for units (D557)
  • Get balancing changes committed.
  • Model a new roman civic center. (Asked @Vido)
  • Find how to prevent more than 3-4 identical sounds to be played at the same time to avoid distortion with walking sounds. So they could be reenabled
  • Allow offsetting footprint and obstruction in cpp to replace walls with fortress
  • Add ambient sounds support to the game such as wind birds etc. Need to find a way to play a looping sound with the Idle variant
  • Complete the task to not be forced to use hacks to do sharpshooters
  • retire the gaul tavern
  • Extract all props from the civs to allow more variations and instancing (Stalled until performance hit is fixed)
  • Create a patch to generate objects with random resource amounts (needs D1718)
  • Allow multiple templates in wallsets for towers (To support tower upgrading)
  • Model a hare. Use the rabbit armature
  • Add an option to check for required prop points in dae files with checkrefs.pl
  • Move unused files out of the public mod to save space
  • Motivate people to write an article about programming for Programmez! a French magazine then translate and correct it
  • Get reviews and commit the scroll through tip patch (D1730) (Stalled)
  • Commit the screen ratio patch 
  • Finish the FreeType/Cairo/ prototype on GitHub.
  • Update eyecandy mod's cliffs and commit them, (sculpting)
  • Try compiling the game with the windows version of clang to see if warnings can be fixed
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

• Update heroes props (helmets).
  • try done mostly of animal animations.
  • more eyecandy stuff. special building those add fun to the maps.(functional special buildings)

On 12/31/2018 at 9:12 PM, Sundiata said:

I wish you all the strength, time, motivation and patience to continue your marvelous contributions, whichever they may be :) 

image.png.5f4256865d35fc3fda9ca132fb085e7a.png

---------

I wish Sundiata makes all symbols(rare forms like zooforms) that I request for the game.:rofl:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Update the Arabic units (Nabataean Camel Archer, Arab Javelineer) with props and textures. They currently use Persian assets.

I'll look for references later so that Alexander and Wackyserious take it for example and don't spend time searching.

-------------------

New wish...

• make more mercenaries like Berebers, Illryans, Iberians, Black Sea mercenaries.
Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

More types of houses for each civ. And eye candy on the base of the structure like shrubs. 

New CC foundation should be like the first one with those gray tiles or something so that wen you relocate to another good sim city location it will look as the original. 

Happy New Year and happy gaming. 

• Like 1

Happy New Year! (MMDCCLXXII AVC)

There are many things I'd like to see: military shipyards for all factions, quadriremes, chariots, proper pikemen (a pike is not a short stick; it's a two-handed weapon; you can't swing it around), a new architecture set for the Romans, etc.

However, if I had to choose, I'd prefer more fauna above anything else. People really underestimate how much of history depends on which crops and animals people had access to. Ordinary cattle, arguably one of the most important species, is not even present in 0 A.D.; nor are mules, donkeys, and onagers; or ducks and geese, which were a lot more common than chicken. I've made a list somewhere, there are a lot of other species I hope will eventually be included in the game.

Flora and fauna really help making the game coming to life, and they are not just useful for Empires Ascendant, but actually for any timeframe.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Nescio said:

However, if I had to choose, I'd prefer more fauna above anything else. People really underestimate how much of history depends on which crops and animals people had access to. Ordinary cattle, arguably one of the most important species, is not even present in 0 A.D.; nor are mules, donkeys, and onagers; or ducks and geese, which were a lot more common than chicken. I've made a list somewhere, there are a lot of other species I hope will eventually be included in the game.

I believe @Alexandermb has a few thing in stock. We committed Enrique's fox that was long due, Three Students from Active Design made a Tuna, a Flamingo, and a Lion, though the later is not in an usable state right now. Their second semester will be about animating so we might be able to commit at the end of it. As for donkeys, I will had a template if that's not the case because it's already in the game :)

19 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

More foundation sizes and scaffolding sizes.

Sure. Any size you'd want in priority ? 
Im looking for a way to standardize the size of the decals because they are not linear and their unit do not make sense in blender.

1 hour ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

Greek-faction theatres

I believe there are already theatrons in the game, or do you mean something else ?

Ptolemies already have a lighthouse but if you want it to be expanded you could do a rough paint over of things you don't like :)

I don't know much time @LordGood has but he is the most qualified to hellenized the ptolemies.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

I was talking about making the real world wonder of the Pharos lighthouse the actual wonder of the ptolemaic civ - just a huge accurate version of the small "pharos lighthouse" now in the game. They built smaller lighthouses in the same style, and we have a still-standing funerary monument that is a miniature Pharos, at "Abusir".

I think there was a lot of discussion about this in the day. I like the Temple of Edfu as their wonder. That way you don't have players building a "lighthouse" in the middle of desert or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

And while we are at it, for the wall-corrections keep in mind that 95% of ancient warfare was conducted as siege-warfare.

Not entirely correct. Yes, pitched battles were rare; if you had written "sieges were twenty times as common as pitched battles" I wouldn't have objected. However, your hyperbole is misleading: warfare actually consisted mostly of skirmishes, raids, plundering the countryside, that kind of things.

• Like 2