===[TASK]=== Current issues with Celtic units and guideline for the next

Genava55

8 hours ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Not really evidence but i read the Mars of Todi  was dedicated by someone with a Celtic name (Ahal Trutitis); although not sure if it's supposed to be scale (It is also interpeted as lamellar or even cloth armor)

It is lamellar and probably leather. It fits the description of the word "lorica" by Varro:

"Lorica 'corselet', because they made chest-protectors from lora 'thongs' of rawhide"

If the dedicant is possibly a Celt, it is written in Umbrian and the conception is Etruscan. Celtic individuals have married Etruscans, it is clear that Celtic people lived among Etruscans, Latins, Umbrians and Samnites during the 5th and 4th century BC.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/11/2022 at 3:44 PM, Genava55 said:

image.thumb.png.24efedb25581897d08a298d4c741e28f.png

I noticed the advanced Gaul cavalry has a helmet but no chainmail.     

Maybe this could be applied to other advanced close combat units, would be a smoother transition than going from unarmored to fully armored.

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian

The helmets on the Carthaginian elite mercenary cavalry look too late for Punic Wars timeframe.

image.thumb.png.c32c1fd9f36b44f74d1c26a750ca049d.png

These helmets on the advanced mercenary swordsman might be too early (Although i am not exactly sure when Gauls started serving in Carthage), also not sure if there were iron versions.

image.png.3764983e030858934b436774a02462a6.png

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian

• 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, Wijitmaker said:

Yeah, I would guess somewhere around 2004-2005 (y)

What a surprise to see one of the founders of the game.

What do you think of the current development and the artistic level reached by the project?

Even for me who joined in 2011, I find it amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Necroreply. ;) 

I take this opportunity to greet him. He is the only old, original member that I know and have seen, you must know them all (or part of the original staff).

I am thrilled to see how someone's project has prospered over time.

Even on YouTube I still find old members talking about how they joined the old forum, when there was more than 0AD on WFG. I think it was called Last Alliance, the sister project of 0 AD.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cassius Dio, Roman History, Book 5, Chapter 62: "All this I [Boudicca] say, not with the purpose of inspiring you with a hatred of present conditions, — that hatred you already have, — nor with fear for the future, — that fear you already have, — but of commending you because you now of our own accord choose the requisite course of action, and of thanking you for so readily co-operating with me and with each other. 2 Have no fear whatever of the Romans; for they are superior to us neither in numbers nor in bravery. And here is the proof: they have protected themselves with helmets and breastplates and greaves and yet further provided themselves with palisades and walls and trenches to make sure of suffering no harm by an incursion of their enemies. For they are influenced by their fears when they adopt this kind of fighting in preference to the plan we follow of rough and ready action. 3 Indeed, we enjoy such a surplus of bravery, that we regard our tents as safer than their walls and our shields as affording greater protection than their whole suits of mail. As a consequence, we when victorious capture them, and when overpowered elude them; and if we ever choose to retreat anywhere, we conceal ourselves in swamps and mountains so inaccessible that we can be neither discovered or taken. 4 Our opponents, however, can neither pursue anybody, by reason of their heavy armour, nor yet flee; and if they ever do slip away from us, they take refuge in certain appointed spots, where they shut themselves up as in a trap. 5 But these are not the only respects in which they are vastly inferior to us: there is also the fact that they cannot bear up under hunger, thirst, cold, or heat, as we can. They require shade and covering, they require kneaded bread and wine and oil, and if any of these things fails them, they perish; for us, on the other hand, any grass or root serves as bread, the juice of any plant as oil, any water as wine, any tree as a house. 6 Furthermore, this region is familiar to us and is our ally, but to them it is unknown and hostile. As for the rivers, we swim them naked, whereas they do not across them easily even with boats. Let us, therefore, go against them trusting boldly to good fortune. Let us show them that they are hares and foxes trying to rule over dogs and wolves."

https://romaninscriptionsofbritain.org/inscriptions/TabVindol164

TV.164f.png

"… the Britons are unprotected by armour (?). There are very many cavalry. The cavalry do not use swords nor do the wretched Britons mount in order to throw javelins."

Found in Vindolanda, probably a Roman soldier describing the Caledonians.