ban

wing

I play  today a game against docter organ. and i was losing, bad he resign. i was asking in the lobby about way hi did  that and i got a ban for 3 days.

i have nothing too do whit it. i think its really unfair what happened.

what can i do about it?

I do the same thing doing point shaving from time to time including my game with you @wing though you deserve a win for that game. I’m not a docorgan fan but I guess you uttered some profanity or bad words abuse that’s why you get banned. 

Point shaving is unethical especially for bad purpose but there’s no rules or anything to technically prevent that with the current setup. If based on the temporary summary score there should be a provision that when you click resign on 1v1 rated or undated match the one who has tremendous advantage maybe 70% of score should still win regardless. 

But getting a trollling player to get banned due to point shaving or the opposite should not happen. You can impose some disciplinary actions on JC but it’s not going to do better if it’s a complete ban. I know he has attitude but he plays the game hard and is one diehard 0ad player. Though for whatever purpose he has in mind I knew he did a tremendous point shaving with Aristol but it’s not a big deal regardless. 

7 hours ago, Servo said:

Point shaving is unethical especially for bad purpose but there’s no rules or anything to technically prevent that with the current setup.

The rules are specified in the Terms  of Use, which is agreed to by every player when they register an account. While the rating system and the enforcement methods may not be adequate, it must be observed that ratings are enabled solely for the purpose of player entertainment. They should be viewed as a means of motivation to participate in competitive play, yet people consider their rating to be important and are willing to violate the Terms & Conditions to safeguard it.

Reading the above, you might argue that it supports your argument. True, ratings are for the amusement of players. But they are nevertheless meant to reflect the skill of the given player, this aids match creation between unacquainted people and gives a rough estimate of the "top players" - always a hype in games.

Of course one might still maintain that it is not a "big deal". Yet the fact remains that the Rules are laid down in the Terms of Use, rules which are there to be respected. If a user violates a rule - and one of significant consequence - without receiving a punishment then what of the other rules? Are they of any consequence if one violation was not met with retribution?

3-day ban was distributed to parties involved in this "rating shaving" issue. @wing is pardoned but there is no reason why DoctorOrgans or even Aristol should be. Artificial adjustment of ratings is a ban offence, they may consider themselves lucky to have gotten off lightly.

• Like 2

• Stan` locked this topic