Community maps mod idea

Nevar

Community maps mod idea  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there should be a mod full of community made maps?

• Yeah, that would be a great idea :)
    • No, that doesn't sound like it would work :(

If you are up to the task, your first mission would be to gather all the maps you can find on the forums, to make a mod.

There are also a few maps on GitHub.

https://github.com/0ADMods/campaign_first_punic_war

https://github.com/0ADMods/map__gallic_wars

https://github.com/0ADMods/maps_random_by_kali

https://github.com/0ADMods/map_Battle_of_Gergovia

https://github.com/0ADMods/Mapping-Contest

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Almost all maps from that mod had been committed in A21. Some got deleted due to copyright issues (heightmap source), and was later re-written,

(rmgen got changed so much between A22 and A23, you would need to change a lot of things to port them over. Not particularly difficult though)

I was thinking that not everyone who has a map wants to share it. To solve this we could make a place for people to submit maps they made to be in the mod... If this happened there would be a whole library of maps, the person would have two options: download all the maps, or download specific maps.

• 3 months later...

There you go. Maps included:

Skirmish:

Italian Peninsula (6) - @Bigtiger
Country Side (2) - @Bigtiger
City VS City (2) - @Imperator Ferrum Princeps I
Jungle Valley (2) - @Bigtiger
Coastline (2) - @Bigtiger
Lesvos Castle (2) - @Bigtiger
The Duel (2) - @Bigtiger
Battle of Vikingland - @woodpecker
Fahrenheit (8) - @phoenixdesk
Euboea Harvest (4) - @Bigtiger
Alpine Rivers - @z4k

Random:

dune - @nani
fert - @nani
fert_mountain - @nani
grand_canyon - @nani
plague_swamp - @nani
riverway - @nani
test - @nani
test2 - @nani
forest_nothing - coworotel

Scenarios:

Paradise valley - @Nevar
Olimpus 4 - @Juli51
First Battle of Numantia - @Lankusnav
Siege of Numantia - @Lankusnav
Brigantium (2) - @Lankusnav
invasion_of_britain_by_KzoneDD - @KzoneDD
At World's End - @shieldwolf23
FirthandFourth - @AgamemnonPhlemnon

If your map is included but you want me to remove it, please contact me here or by private message. If you want to submit a map to be included, let me know.

community_maps.zip

Edited by coworotel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

plague_swamp.jsplague_swamp.jsonplague_swamp_triggers.js

One of hannibal's maps I took and "finished". Can't remember if it worked as expected, but most of the following should work.

- Decrease health of random units (or sometimes kill) at intervals. Representing diseases.

- Raising water which would destory farms on lower ground, (not sure if it raised high enough to make all buildings unusable)

- Vermins (the insect cloud) which would damage units which are in it. These would move throughout the map and come into the base of each player to a random place at intervals.

But as said before, this has been in a forum PM for a very long time. So might as well post here in case someone else could pick it up.

@Itms How about making a 0ad community mod entry for 0ad in mod.io (0adcommunitymaps.mod.io)?

Instead of mods would be a zip with all the map data, the problem would be security concerns and review time (or none if is made as unofficial supported).

All maps would go to the same 0ad_communit_mods folder mod, of course would need some  support from 0ad for compatibility reasons.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

- Vermins (the insect cloud) which would damage units which are in it. These would move throughout the map and come into the base of each player to a random place at intervals.

I guess I should clarify, I do not have the insect entity template anymore. Which would probably break the map. Would still generate with an error I guess. Although, if I were to do it again, I would do the same without using an entity template.

On 11/25/2018 at 11:05 AM, stanislas69 said:

I recall that the "Ring" map looked quite interesting. It wasn't actively rejected, but it was just not continued. It looked a bit like the Gear map without water. I guess the radially symmetrical terrain is a bit odd.

New maps are a good cause, I got so fed up playing the same 70 random maps again and again (many players only play one map, for years, 5 times per day, really weird). So thanks for that package.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, (-_-) said:

plague_swamp_triggers.js 3.89 kB · 2 downloads

Did you test the map in MP? g_InsectEntities sounds like it would trigger an OOS on rejoin, and should become a property of the Trigger prototype (thus serialized and deserialized).  I will try the map eventually. :gollum:

29 minutes ago, nani said:

problem would be security concerns and review time

Mods for mod.io are only reviewed for security concerns, which is not much to review for maps, since they have very limited JS Interfaces. Simulation/AI/rmgen context doesn't have much access, GUI does have much, much, much, much, much more access.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, coworotel said:

Just tested these, all of them throw an error and don't generate. I think the main error is:

Reference error: RMS not defined

As smiley mentioned, the map would require rewrite since a lot of things changed in the last 3 years in that code.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, elexis said:

New maps are a good cause, I got so fed up playing the same 70 random maps again and again (many players only play one map, for years, 5 times per day, really weird). So thanks for that package.

Your new map would make a great addition pity we only have  images of it :(

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nani said:

Your new map would make a great addition pity we only have  images of it :(

I never wrote the trigger scripts though, and I wanted those decal paths, which require a new paradigm to store information sub-tilesize level efficiently, and some storytelling elements.  Maybe some day.

I remember another map that you could put into the mappack D1497. It's an overhaul of Alpine Valleys. (Problem is only that I'm a fan of the labyrinth and that overhaul seems to remove that from what I see on the screenshots.)

In general it would be great if users could upload maps (and replays, D1723) more easily, so that user-generated 0ad content distribution is less bottlenecked.

8 minutes ago, elexis said:

I remember another map that you could put into the mappack D1497. It's an overhaul of Alpine Valleys. (Problem is only that I'm a fan of the labyrinth and that overhaul seems to remove that from what I see on the screenshots.)

Where can I find the files for this map? I'm a noob about the source code workings...

Edited by coworotel