How do you make a Biome containing mod?

oiaohm

I have tried

maps/random/rmbiome/alpinenothing.json
maps/random/rmbiome/biomes/alpinenothing.json
mod.json

In zip file..   That is just alpine biome renamed with nothing  so AlphineNothing is title and description.  Of course my plan was to strip it back to almost nothing resource biome for just something odd to play but I decide to start with minor changes first.

I have tried this with map harbour and gear with this  mod active and AlphineNothing does not show up.     Have I used the wrong path.    Or are third party biomes not supported?

Thinking this is my second attempt at a mode for 0ad my first was a simple mod to change the number of units to include 500 1000 and 1500 limits and that works perfectly.   Unlimited is a little too much for my computer and 300 units I run into unit issues.

Edited by oiaohm
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, oiaohm said:

Thinking this is my second attempt at a mode for 0ad my first was a simple mod to change the number of units to include 500 1000 and 1500 limits and that works perfectly.   Unlimited is a little too much for my computer and 300 units I run into unit issues.

I would personally really love this in vanilla as well...

• Like 1

You would need to add the directory containing your biome json file to the map json file. The generic biomes are put into a folder called “generic” in rmbiome. And all maps using that would have “generic” in the supported biomes part.

You can put it into a custom folder too. As the case with fields_of_meroe which have a custom dry and rainy biome.

In this case, I would recommend just putting your alpinenothing.json into the “generic” folder. If you want to make a mod, just create a folder named generic in rmbiome and put it in there.

After reading the logs, I must say that it would be better to make a new map. The biome system was not originally meant to define map entities, but rather vary them. So, I wouldn't be surprised by JS undefined errors if you just simply remove the entries.

Anatolian_plateau is similiar to what you are trying to achieve.

1 hour ago, (-_-) said:

After reading the logs, I must say that it would be better to make a new map. The biome system was not originally meant to define map entities, but rather vary them. So, I wouldn't be surprised by JS undefined errors if you just simply remove the entries.

Anatolian_plateau is similiar to what you are trying to achieve.

I have it kind of working so I can answers a few things now.

maps/random/rmbiome/generic/alpinenothing.json is what works.

Removing entries does not cause crash just causes biome system to return to default so no JS error.

"Gaia": {
                "tree1": "gaia/fauna_tiger",
                "tree2": "gaia/fauna_tiger",
                "tree3": "gaia/fauna_tiger",
                "tree4": "gaia/fauna_tiger",
                "tree5": "gaia/fauna_tiger",
                "fruitBush": "gaia/fauna_tiger",
                "chicken": "gaia/fauna_tiger",
                "mainHuntableAnimal": "gaia/fauna_tiger",
                "fish": "gaia/fauna_tiger",
                "secondaryHuntableAnimal": "gaia/fauna_tiger",
                "stoneLarge": "gaia/fauna_tiger",
                "stoneSmall": "gaia/fauna_tiger",
                "metalLarge": "gaia/fauna_tiger",
                "metalSmall": "gaia/fauna_tiger"
        },

This generates a resource nothing map.   Little bit overly hostile with tigers everywhere including walking on the sea floor.     Also almost totally fatal if you start on low resources.

I think chicken will have to come some form of trade cart.

Yes replacing trees, stone, metal, bush, tigers do work.    Wonder how many of the hostile gaia I can in fact get into 1 biome define.

Vary them still gives me what I am after.

I am guessing there will be worthless items I could use in other versions of nothing biomes.

• Like 1

Not sure if the code complained if one passed actors, but you could just place some rock actors for metal/stone, flowers instead of trees, or if you want to troll it a bit further, even place the   actors used by the simulation templates, so it looks like one can gather, but actually cannot. So instead of "gaia/flora_tree_pine" could use "actor|flora/trees/pine.xml" (just don't recall whether the code complained using actors in these places)

10 hours ago, elexis said:

Not sure if the code complained if one passed actors, but you could just place some rock actors for metal/stone, flowers instead of trees, or if you want to troll it a bit further, even place the   actors used by the simulation templates, so it looks like one can gather, but actually cannot. So instead of "gaia/flora_tree_pine" could use "actor|flora/trees/pine.xml" (just don't recall whether the code complained using actors in these places)

Yes I have tested that actors work but I am not going that route.   Remember you cannot build on top of those actors and not being able to consume/destroy them comes a real pain.   Starting with 100 resources is playable if you start with market even the AI kind of copes could be tweaked to be a little smarter on picking up that is in resource trouble and needs to trade.  

Thanks everyone I am past stage 1 and 2.   Now it fun job stage 3.

Stage 1  can customise up warped biomes

Stage 2 work out what was the min requirements to be playable no matter what user set from the game defaults.   This is that stoneLarge or metalLarge needs to be a market.

Stage 3 start working on units/buildings to make it look decent/possible be more nasty at times.

So the next task make a large stone/metal market from stone/metal resource model that is in fact a gaia civ neutral markets.   As you basically need to capture a market off the start line to make sure  that you can get resources by either selling food or trade and this market looking different to civ market is fine but looking like another civs market does look out of place.

I do have a few different evil plans like making trees that are in fact fixed ranged units.   I can not see true ship hunting sea units.   This basically makes the map one extra enemy.  Before caring about exterminating other players worry about staying alive against the map.

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oiaohm said:

Remember you cannot build on top of those actors and not being able to consume/destroy them comes a real pain.

Pretty sure that you can build on top of actors. They do not have an obstruction. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Correct. Thanks to a cleanup by leper, actor.xml defines which simulation components are set:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Entity>
  <Position>
    <Altitude>0</Altitude>
    <Anchor>upright</Anchor>
    <Floating>false</Floating>
    <FloatDepth>0.0</FloatDepth>
    <TurnRate>6.0</TurnRate>
  </Position>
  <Visibility>
    <RetainInFog>true</RetainInFog>
    <AlwaysVisible>false</AlwaysVisible>
    <Corpse>false</Corpse>
    <Preview>false</Preview>
  </Visibility>
  <Vision>
    <Range>0</Range>
  </Vision>
  <VisualActor>
    <SilhouetteDisplay>false</SilhouetteDisplay>
    <SilhouetteOccluder>false</SilhouetteOccluder>
    <VisibleInAtlasOnly>false</VisibleInAtlasOnly>
  </VisualActor>
</Entity>

Edit: (Actors have a vision component only to have them visible to the player? Sounds like a possible performance issue?)

Sorry I wrote it wrong. 

When I said cannot build on top of I was referring display order.    So you build a building where there are actor objects and the actor objects be taller than the building like a house in a actor forest can be basically invisible.   This does not help play ability making buildings and units be cloaked that otherwise would have had to been in clear view of player.   Also is most likely not help performance. 

Possible modification to game that build building on actor objects that are taller than building disappear actor object?  Don't know if that would help performance or not but since that is not the way the game engine current works I will simple go for unit style.

One of the reasons why I am working on these nothing resources.   Is I know me I am causing myself a performance problem when I start with high resources.like death match level resources.   I am horrible I will focus on construction.   This means I leave the trees and other resources alone late in game I start running out of ram on some maps.    Yet I start on low resources where I have to consume the trees the game takes longer and I don't run out of memory.

Deathmatch + a biome that turns all trees and the like hostile so they have to be consumed will most likely be a work around to this problem.       I have had maps more playable at high resources with the pure tiger mod because I have to kill the tigers to attack anyone and I am in fact killing tigers faster than I can produce units.   So far maps that would eat me out of 8g of ram are perfectly playable at under 4g with just the simple biome hack turning everything Gaia into tigers.   Think of this as mandatory map provided resource consume resulting in less cpu/ram consume late in game.  

Of course I am work on that hostile biome are playable with low resources as well as that turns out to be fairly simple just include a market.   Currently doing this by having market as a large stone pile. ( Yes reused the graphic).

There is method to my madness.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 6:23 PM, elexis said:

(Actors have a vision component only to have them visible to the player? Sounds like a possible performance issue?)

Should they even be simulation entities? They should be handled like decals in my opinion.