Web developer application - Daniel Matute

Position: Web developer

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free? Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license? Yes

Are you sure you are not wanting to work on something programming related? (Then you don't need to send in an application form.) Yes

Name: Daniel Alejandro Matute Burgos

Email: borealink@gmail.com

Availability: 5 hours a day

Skills and Experience: no previous work experience

Motivation: i want to create amazing websites

Personality: Positive and creative 

Short Essay:

How and when did you find out about Wildfire Games?

2 years ago on a youtube channel.

What motivates you to be a part of the project?

I like open source software, if i can help to make it grow, that is going to be enough motivation for me.

What do you seek to gain in being a part of Wildfire Games?

I am a junior web developer and i find this as a great opportunity to build my portfolio, also i am interested in game development and i think being involved on such a project can help me to learn more about it when i enroll for 0ad programmer position.

Interests and Hobbies: I like to study french and game programming on cocos creator and godot 

Staff: Do you know, or know of anyone on the team? 

No

Community: What communities, websites, or forums do you frequent that relate to your interests and the gaming world?

https://forums.totalwar.com/

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/

Favorite Game: Total War: Attila

Work Examples: I am currently building my portfolio

Edited by danielmatute

Unlike other areas, I guess web development would be needing someone who truly knows what they are doing due to the sensitivity. So familiarity with IPB and wordpress (play0ad is wordpress, right?) would go a long way.

@implodedok would be the one you should get in contact with.

I saw that you mention about enrolling to a programming position in the future. You dont need to. Just pick a simple ticket and start working on it.

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GettingStartedProgrammers

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GettingStarted

7 hours ago, danielmatute said:

Skills and Experience: no previous work experience

I enjoyed reading your introduction, but this part bothers me a little.  Of course you don't need to be extremely experienced to contribute, but if I read your message right, you're on the other side of the spectrum.  So let me ask the difficult question:

What exactly do you have to offer Wildfire Games?  We're not a learning institution, we're a group of developers who write code, design art, etc.  If you want to contribute to our website (we are actually going to develop a new one in the future, so an extra web developer would actually be wanted), it would help greatly if you were at least familiar with PHP7 and SQL.  Wordpress experience would be good as well, but if you're at least a decent PHP7 developer or familiar with HTML5/CSS3, we could work on that.  But I have no idea what tasks you could fulfill with "no experience".

Please elaborate.

• Like 2

@implodedok I am not here to learn, i am here to build a website, i worked giving maintenace to americaeconomia-ca.com for 6 months which is a wordpress website and developed a tiny php framework for 3 months at Claro (i have the repository at bitbucket), i put i have no previous experience because i haven't build a portfolio to show, but i know we can improve this website greatly, not only in the way we present content which need some rework, like combining text, colors and media in a more appealing way but also in the backend which i am willing to help with. Knowledge: I can work with mysql, symfony, wordpress, nodejs + expressjs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, balduin said:

@implodedok Why do you need Wordpress? A static site generator should be sufficient.

Our website content is not static.  Having a CMS is a requirement for us.

5 hours ago, danielmatute said:

@implodedok I am not here to learn, i am here to build a website, i worked giving maintenace to americaeconomia-ca.com for 6 months which is a wordpress website and developed a tiny php framework for 3 months at Claro (i have the repository at bitbucket), i put i have no previous experience because i haven't build a portfolio to show, but i know we can improve this website greatly, not only in the way we present content which need some rework, like combining text, colors and media in a more appealing way but also in the backend which i am willing to help with. Knowledge: I can work with mysql, symfony, wordpress, nodejs + expressjs.

That is good to hear.  Don't sell yourself short when presenting yourself.  This all counts as work experience, even if you don't have the portfolio.  Do you have any experience with designing websites?  (and by that I mean the visual side, not the HTML/CSS code)

• Like 2