Usage of spear cav

thankforpie

Yes they are great for attacking cavalry due to the bonus,and also great to put on the front lines while your skirmishers are flanking. Their DPS will increase once you get a blacksmith,and spend your money into skills to make them stronger,and with more hitpoints. I would use them as I would use all the classes. Each class serves a purpose. :D

18 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

I believe in every civ the (citizen) melee cav has more pierce armor than the (citizen) ranged cav; so you might wanna use them against skirmishers and archers.

ye, but you have to manually target or they will buggily lose even more DPS.

example, select 50 slingers and do ctrl+q, they will kill one by one (from closest to furthest).

now select 50 spear cav, do ctrl+q, and only about 10 will hit the target, other will spend time looking for a way to reach the target (because it was blocked by 10 cav that is already hitting the target)

so you have to select manually and thatstough

@thankforpie That might be one of the reasons why ranged units are more popular. ;)

I haven't tried ctrl+q'ing yet; when I let them roam free they'll usually split up and attack several targets.

Depending on the situation/numbers I might prefer my units to concentrate dmg or spread it; not always happy with what the AI chooses...

5 hours ago, thankforpie said:

I use them to kill enemy eco and rams, and other cav.

but honestly they are slow at killing rams, and their dps is bad.

is there any other usage for this unit so massproducing them wouldnt be just wasted resources?

There is no unit counter concept, so no, spear cav does not have a usage. Just like about any other unit. Spam economy, go to a higher phase and spam champions instead if you want to win matches, they have lots of HP and damage. There is no such thing as a buildorder or unit transition in 0 ad.

Edited by DarcReaver
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, (-_-) said:

No, no. You seem to be thinking of Alpha 18/19. Right now, its all about the primary ranged infantry. Along with 10 barracks of course.

your post made me giggle because thats my exact thought after first 3 days spent in multiplayer.

anyway what you think of ranged cavalry? or is it too expensive

4 minutes ago, thankforpie said:

your post made me giggle because thats my exact thought after first 3 days spent in multiplayer.

Archers,slingers and javelins on horses are great rushers with all the abilities from the blacksmith :D Yes cavalry is a bit more expensive but put your gatherers away from the battles and you will continue to produce during an attack,and have enough to buy all that cavalry you need.

Edited by Astrid

2 minutes ago, Astrid said:

Archers,slingers and javelins on horses are great rushers with all the abilities from the blacksmith :D Yes cavalry is a bit more expensive but put your gatherers away from the battles and you will continue to produce during an attack,and have enough to buy all that cavalry you need.

of course yes, but if enemy is similar to you with the difference that he has 6 fields and you have 10 fields then he will come with bigger army.

in other words to afford cav spam your army will be smaller than if you were spamming slingers or skirmishers

Edited by thankforpie

35 minutes ago, thankforpie said:

The advantage of a cavarly army is mostly the fact that is really faster and manovrable than a infantry one. So you can easily attack the enemy from different points with all your army without spend a lot of time. Also, the damage of cavarly units is higher than infantry one, so they are particulary effective even against a good normal army (obv if we are not talking about max ranged upgrades + pikes)

What I generally prefer is to use cavarly units in early game or to use them in late just to annoy the enemy attacking his eco at base or to defend from rams attacks

Edited by Jofursloft
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

By the way, looking at the code, spear cavalry have 0.5 prepare time and 2 repeat time. Combined with their high damage, that makes them very good at single-hit kills. If they are facing a sword cavalry, ignoring resistance, they deal twice as much damage normally + 0.5 damage bonus, which brings their damage to 3 times as much. They take 2 seconds to repeat an attack, sword cavalry take 0.75 second to repeat. Meaning that for a sword cav to do exactly the same damage in this model, they take 2.25 seconds rather than 2 seconds.

Another thing spear cavalry are good at is attacking enemy line troops: they have better resistance, and if you attack, run, and then attack, you can get better damage dealt than if you stand and fight.