"Very hard" Al

Jofursloft

The campaign in Aoe3 all expansions were good and mainly I liked the gunpowder weapons and their upgrades which were cool and I mean they are better ranged weapons and would clearly be my favorite .But well 0ad better stuff on ranged would be better and use of shield formations are the best. 

• Like 1

TBH, I prefer a “modern” RTS more than an “ancient” one. Might be a nostalgia factor. Empire Earth was the first one. Then it was Rise of Nations. Would also explain why I liked AoE3 (recent enough that there were guns) more than AoE2 as opposed to a lot of people.

If only the Council of Modders have infinite time so they can make such a mod :P

Edited by Guest

They should keep it the way it is now because it is somewhat of a decent learning experience because the very hard AI might just be what someone is looking for. Instead I'd say just add new difficulties (with proper warnings maybe so people don't get steamrolled by AI and complain about it later). Where the AI is more optimized and follows the very good points made by previous posters.

7 hours ago, Imperator Ferrum Princeps I said:

Yeah a modern era, maybe ww2 or ww1, maybe even Napoleonic wars mod would be cool.

Ww2 mod would be uncomfortable because there already a lot of games in it for example I will name a few Hoi ( Hearts of Iron),  Sudden strike series,  Company of heroes,  Brothers in Arms etc. I suppose Napoleonic Wars might be the easiest of the three but it would be hard to make. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:50 PM, Altrine said:

Ww2 mod would be uncomfortable because there already a lot of games in it for example I will name a few Hoi ( Hearts of Iron),  Sudden strike series,  Company of heroes,  Brothers in Arms etc. I suppose Napoleonic Wars might be the easiest of the three but it would be hard to make. 

Yeah now that I think about it any mod adding demonotizedzies and commies as playable factions should be treaded lightly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/15/2018 at 10:21 PM, Feldfeld said:

Better economy balance, better use of dropsite (walk distance quite high), better use of batch training and more organized attack (have the units regroup before they start to fight would be good)

First one needs some tinkering with numbers.

The second one needs more work and is also buggy. The AI can and will build storehouses on the edge of cliffs if there is a forest at the bottom and it is accessible (which is a flood fill algorithm and hence its marked accessible even if you have to walk across the map). The default 0AD map is the perfect testing ground. Since, the AI is agnostic of "y" height, the best solution IMO is to query a path and use it’s length for the distance check. Which would wreck performance if done naively.

And, there is also the limitation of AI construction in general. Which selects a position by giving specific locations weights. Loc of farmstead for example when placing fields. Which gives rise to cases where the AI will build fields “near” a farmstead on a hill.

Third one needs some minor changes to where exactly the AI chooses it’s rally point. The AI will bring all it’s attacking units to a specific place before launching the attack.

Posting this since you mentioned an interest to work on the AI. And also as a bug report I guess.

Kinda old thread, but I didn’t know much about the AI back then.

Edited by Guest