Order of mods should not matter while loading a saved game

balduin

I enabled a three mods and played. The mods: 0 A.D., Millennium A.D. and the formation fighting mod. I saved the game. Then I restarted the game and tried to load my saved game. The filter did not show me my saved game. I had the option to disable the filter. Selected my game and got a warning, saying that my mod selection is incompatible. The only difference the first and second time was the order in which I selected and activated the mods. The first time: 0 A.D., Millennium A.D. and the formation fighting mod. The second time: 0 A.D., the formation fighting mod and Millennium A.D. As you can see only the position of Millennium A.D. and the formation fighting mod are different. However, the order of the mod selection should not matter.

Edited by balduin

The order of the mod matters a *lot* actually. The file loaded from the last mod would end up overwriting the file from earlier mods.

So having a different order would not be the same set of files. Mod mixing behaves a lot like a cocktail. 2 mods being combined would produce an entirely new mod in the end.

@(-_-) I do not understand your explanation. Why would it matter in which order I selected and load the same mods? The first time I selected mods when I started the match the second time, before I loaded the game. The mod combination should be the same. Or do I miss something in the implementation here?

Edited by balduin

6 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Imagine you have two files with the same name. Depending on the order of mods one of the files will overwrite the other. The order of the mods define which one wins.

Right, but I think if someone is loading a saved game or replay the order of the mods should be recorded in the file and the mods ordered and loaded properly by the engine upon launching the replay or saved game. Don't know how difficult this is however. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Right, but I think if someone is loading a saved game or replay the order of the mods should be recorded in the file and the mods ordered and loaded properly by the engine upon launching the replay or saved game. Don't know how difficult this is however. 

Sure :) Would need restarting the game though cause mods are only loaded on startup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

And what if a save game uses a mod or version not installed on this machine? Games can be shared easily on the forums and elsewhere, and not all mods are published.

5 hours ago, Nescio said:

And what if a save game uses a mod or version not installed on this machine? Games can be shared easily on the forums and elsewhere, and not all mods are published.

Just have a check function in 5he code to ensure the mod's installed. If not, it could fail with a simple dialog or ask the player if they want to DL the mod from modio.

• Like 1